Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 66742 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #425 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:50:53 pm »
Sheet music definitely still exists.

OD, I note that you first went to the department store to eat and drink. So effectively it was a cafe with a shop attached.

Kind of. We didn’t go in with the expectation of eating and drinking but what we found appealed so we did it. We also spent c£100 (correction, TCMR did) on food stuffs to take home so we did the retail thing as well. Which is my point, get customers through the door then find ways of getting them so spend, doesn’t really matter what they buy so long as they do.

Makes sense to get people in the door. Certainly if they don't come through the door, they won't buy anything! But OTOH the M&S in Bristol city centre that closed a couple of years ago always seemed pretty busy, especially the food hall. I've heard that a hike in rates was part of the decision in that case (but I don't know if that was true).

I'm not an enthusiastic shopper by any stretch and TBH don't really care traditional High St retail dies or not, I buy most of my stuff online.  But as someone who is involved professionally in sales and marketing I find it quite interesting. 

M&S is another interesting case.  Their food offering seems to do well, their clothing less so I think.  That said I have made some clothing purchases from M&S recently as has TCMR, we both commented that M&S seem to have got their shit together.

Going back to one of your comments, yes, foot fall is important, but you don't want people mooching about then leaving empty handed.  Jarrold's seem to be winning in this respect, I hope they stay in business for another few hundred years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #426 on: 02 May, 2023, 11:09:22 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #427 on: 02 May, 2023, 09:13:58 pm »
I suspect M&S still has a segment for in-person clothing shopping, but it's declining and they're making up the different with food offerings – they've recently replaced John Lewis on Purley Way. Even if I want to try things on in an actual shop, as a small format male human, at no point in history have they had my size (small-waisted men, it seems, must be beanpole tall, whereas this one isn't). Online I can even get Craghoppers in a size that fits me.

Mind you, there are downsides to not inspecting your purchases before you buy, as I recently grumbled upon receiving a pair of new shoes that had evidently been worn for a while and returned.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #428 on: 02 May, 2023, 09:24:49 pm »
I think a flashmob choir of some 1960s and 70s hits would be more in M&S style.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #429 on: 03 May, 2023, 09:05:07 am »
One way to reinvigorate retail

Not my cup of tea but exactly what retailers should be doing!  Identify your target market then do exciting stuffs to get them through the door.  Brilliant!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #430 on: 03 May, 2023, 09:06:37 am »
I think a flashmob choir of some 1960s and 70s hits would be more in M&S style.

And why not?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #431 on: 03 May, 2023, 09:42:47 am »
One way to reinvigorate retail

Not my cup of tea but exactly what retailers should be doing!  Identify your target market then do exciting stuffs to get them through the door.  Brilliant!

Hack the steering on their mobility buggies?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #432 on: 03 May, 2023, 03:42:07 pm »
Sheet music definitely still exists.

OD, I note that you first went to the department store to eat and drink. So effectively it was a cafe with a shop attached.

Kind of. We didn’t go in with the expectation of eating and drinking but what we found appealed so we did it. We also spent c£100 (correction, TCMR did) on food stuffs to take home so we did the retail thing as well. Which is my point, get customers through the door then find ways of getting them so spend, doesn’t really matter what they buy so long as they do.

Makes sense to get people in the door. Certainly if they don't come through the door, they won't buy anything! But OTOH the M&S in Bristol city centre that closed a couple of years ago always seemed pretty busy, especially the food hall. I've heard that a hike in rates was part of the decision in that case (but I don't know if that was true).

I'm not an enthusiastic shopper by any stretch and TBH don't really care traditional High St retail dies or not, I buy most of my stuff online.  But as someone who is involved professionally in sales and marketing I find it quite interesting. 

M&S is another interesting case.  Their food offering seems to do well, their clothing less so I think.  That said I have made some clothing purchases from M&S recently as has TCMR, we both commented that M&S seem to have got their shit together.

Going back to one of your comments, yes, foot fall is important, but you don't want people mooching about then leaving empty handed.  Jarrold's seem to be winning in this respect, I hope they stay in business for another few hundred years.

I think that those who would normally replace the M&S customer base have moved to other retailers, such as Cotton Traders.  M&S stuff is still too staid.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #433 on: 03 May, 2023, 03:48:14 pm »
I quite like the current M&S stuff, which possibly makes your point  ;D

ian

« Reply #434 on: 03 May, 2023, 07:46:39 pm »
As a man of a certain vintage, I only buy clothes in bulk every decade or so, so I can't comment on the current selection in any store. Occasionally, I sense, my wife throws out any of my clothing she doesn't like and surreptitiously replaces it with something more of her favour.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #436 on: 21 September, 2023, 10:55:00 pm »
The reports of the catastrophic levels of shoplifting are really alarming to me.  Recently we have seen reports from John Lewis, Waitrose, the Co-op and others all saying there are gangs of scumbags who feel they can take what they want with no fear of being caught.

Facial recognition systems were mentioned as part of a solution, but I doubt if it will be quick enough to evict offenders.  John Lewis ruled out using such systems as being "not in line with their values".  High St retail needs adapt quickly to survive but the chances of this happening effectively must be tiny.

« Reply #437 on: 22 September, 2023, 03:50:30 am »
“there are gangs of scumbags who feel they can take what they want with no fear of being caught.“

Not just in shops, at the highest levels in society, I can tell you..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #438 on: 22 September, 2023, 07:34:16 am »
I remember being told in the early '90s that Waterstones had an official policy of not prosecuting shoplifters – I don't know whether this was accurate then or still holds now, nor whether it was a national policy or related to one store only – and the reply came that if this became widely known, their shelves would be empty within days.

« Reply #439 on: 22 September, 2023, 08:10:07 am »
Humans are very adept at adopting the behaviours of their pack leaders ...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #440 on: 09 November, 2023, 05:00:06 pm »
The Gourd has an article describing Temu as "China's answer to Amazon". I thought that was Ali!
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/nov/09/shop-like-billionaire-bought-six-items-temu-app

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #441 on: 10 November, 2023, 01:41:58 pm »
The Gourd has an article describing Temu as "China's answer to Amazon". I thought that was Ali!
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/nov/09/shop-like-billionaire-bought-six-items-temu-app

I keep getting spam emails from Temu ... from which I have never ordered anything.  Luckily it's in my burner account.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #442 on: 10 November, 2023, 03:07:09 pm »

I keep getting spam emails from Temu ... from which I have never ordered anything.  Luckily it's in my burner account.
Are they actually from Temu or just faked?

I've been seeing adverts from Temu since before I knew what the site was. I think one of them is/was for the "furry tardigrade" mentioned in the article. Certainly none of the advertised items look like anything I can conceive of ever needing or wanting. But then I suppose the same is true of, say, John Lewis, just in a rather different way.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #443 on: 10 November, 2023, 11:17:02 pm »
“there are gangs of scumbags who feel they can take what they want with no fear of being caught.“

Not just in shops, at the highest levels in society, I can tell you..

I think the official name is "Tory party donors"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #444 on: 07 December, 2023, 12:07:23 pm »
One of the largest cinemas in Bristol closed at the end of November. It was smack in the middle of town, in the Cabot Circus shopping centre, and the cinema blamed failure to agree a new lease with the landlord (which is Cabot Circus) for their closure. Other factors could probably be found too.
Showcase has blamed failure to reach agreement over the terms of its lease for the closure of the Cinema De Lux. In addition, cinema attendance has been slow to recover after Covid and may continue to lag behind pre-pandemic levels for years to come. The cost of living crisis is having an effect upon attendance too, though this has also led to a decline in subscriptions to streaming services, which were seen by many as cinema’s main competitor.
https://www.bristol247.com/culture/film/multiple-factors-behind-cinema-de-lux-closure/

Anywayz, this was a big cinema with 14 screens. What are the landlords going to do with the site? I'd imagine it's not that straightforward to turn a cinema into a shop, or rather a lot of shops; lots of building work would be necessary. Even if there were demand for more shops. Have the mall operators shot themselves in the foot by not coming to some agreement?

« Reply #445 on: 18 February, 2024, 12:57:19 pm »
Need to buy a pair of pyjamas. Tried M&S, only one set available in Medium, which was not suitable. Have had this size availability problem in M&S frequently over the years, you'd think such a major retailer would have a better idea of the population's size distribution.

No other shops in Uxbridge seem to sell pyjamas these days, got some weird looks from assistants when asked.

Don't want to buy online, need to feel the material first. Might be forced to buy a second set of Routemaster seat moquette pattern pyjamas from the London Transport Museum....

sam

« Reply #446 on: 18 February, 2024, 01:35:56 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
I remember being told in the early '90s that Waterstones had an official policy of not prosecuting shoplifters...

Years ago I worked the information desk at a bookshop in NYC. One of the bonuses of the job was that it gave me the opportunity for a bit of exercise from time to time, because I served as backup for the security guy stationed at the front door.

Most stolen book: the good one.

One day yet another thief set off the alarm triggered by the thin metal strip chucked into the spine of hardcovers and the more expensive titles, prompting me to give chase down 42nd Street. It was thrilling, like some kind of TV show! And a few blocks later I caught up with the guy!!

He turned around, looked at me huffing & puffing, and pulled a knife. It's safe to say my lack of enthusiasm as deputised lawman can be traced from that moment.

« Reply #447 on: 18 February, 2024, 01:49:34 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #448 on: 18 February, 2024, 02:54:09 pm »
Need to buy a pair of pyjamas. Tried M&S
No other shops in Uxbridge seem to sell pyjamas these days, got some weird looks from assistants when asked.....

Supermarkets viz Sainsbury's, Tesco  etc have pyjama's and other assorted "loungewear"

« Reply #449 on: 18 February, 2024, 03:50:15 pm »
Don't want to buy online, need to feel the material first.
What M&S would like you to do is browse and order online and have it delivered to store.  You get to look before you leave the store and returns can be handled on the spot.  While they get to minimise their stock holding costs.