Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 339234 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2550 on: 25 July, 2022, 01:49:22 pm »
Well in comparison to that epic tile bagging, so far this year I have only been out twice to get max square tiles.
This was due to finally catching up with family elsewhere after Covid and then having to be at home whilst work was being done on house.

The first was  a 9.3km walk, albeit one with 800+m climbing to nab a single tile that I missed last year by a 10m metres due to confusing signage and obfuscation of rights of way paths.
I had wanted to walk that area for ages because the rocky outcrops are very striking when you drive past.
So missing tile gave me a good excuse to finally visit Ramsey Rocks and The Roaches, just above Leek.

by

Only ride I've managed so far regarding my max square was a mere 25km bike ride in silly hot temps to get some moorland tiles near Ripponden that I should have got on a previous ride. One which I had to truncate the diversion from south side because I was already running out of light by time I got there.
See map of tiles missed on that ride below...

by

Those two tiles were off road and along quite brutally techy trails at times, so that ate up a lot of the day.
Anytime I ride moorland areas, I assume rides to last an awful lot longer than you would think. And then they take longer again.  ;D

So this was collecting the missing tiles from previous loop. Despite only 25% of route being off road, I correctly guess the MTB was the sensible choice for that day. Whereas the CX was the better choice for above ride despite the rocky terrain in places , due to far longer road miles, which just a drag on a full sus MTB.  Though the newer version of my CX that can take bigger tyres whilst weighing even less, would be the perfect choice for my very mixed on/off road rides.

Steep Lane was indeed steep. But not even close to the steepest climb on route.

The road up from Triangle past here was a lot steeper

The Tile Collector

« Reply #2551 on: 25 July, 2022, 02:00:26 pm »
3000km of cycling in two months in a total of nine rides: one 400km BRM and eight dedicated tile bagging rides with four of them over 400km. A grand total of 1929 new tiles. I need another ride to connect those to the cluster, but this I can do starting from a Dutch railway station. Which was the point of these two months: getting all the "far away" tiles for a 100+ square.

I had considered using my bikepacking kit to be able to do longer multiday rides, but so many of my rides up until now have been a serious challenge to ride and clamber even unladen, that was simply not an option.
But having finally finished the Peak District and the tough offroad riding that involves, that now may be possible.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2552 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:59:45 am »

« Reply #2553 on: 08 August, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »
I tried that over weekend, but after tweaking parameters to do a more sensible speed animation for my rides, then it always failed to complete.  :'(
Need to file a bug report.

Been waiting for this sort of thing for a very long time. Ben mentioned he may do something a few years back, but I guess he's too busy with all the other aspects of VV.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2554 on: 08 August, 2022, 01:13:24 pm »
No major tiling of late, the last ride I did was a speed focused 200k-class ride up to London.

It feels like sacrilege to do 200 km of old squares, but had I tried tiling I wouldn't have finished.

I did get a nice couple at Popham avoiding the A303:

And a few more in Hounslow.

It shouldn't be too hard to tile to London in stages, at least, with the existing rides laying the foundation. But my eye is still set on bridging my Midlands gap, as there's a juicy cluster to join up there.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/334054/posts/21595809

Just dropping this here
See if this works:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2555 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:16:48 pm »
Last week my Belgian max cluster went from this:

belgium cluster before by The Pingus, on Flickr

To this:

belgium cluster after by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #2556 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:23:17 am »
Last week my Belgian max cluster went from this:

belgium cluster before by The Pingus, on Flickr

To this:

belgium cluster after by The Pingus, on Flickr
Problem with continental clusters is trying to join them up.

Maybe you could talk Eurotunnel into allowing a charity ride through the service tunnel? Still quite a lot of swimming, though.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2557 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:37:54 pm »

Kayaking is also a valid option...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2558 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:48:17 pm »
SUP is the watersport of the moment.

(I'm not sure how any of these options would be viewed in what used to be the world's busiest shipping lane.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2559 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:59:57 pm »
I'm not sure how any of these options would be viewed in what used to be the world's busiest shipping lane.

I expect there's a risk of the home secretary trying to sink you, at the very least...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2560 on: 10 August, 2022, 02:31:05 pm »
I'm not sure how any of these options would be viewed in what used to be the world's busiest shipping lane.

I expect there's a risk of the home secretary trying to sink you, at the very least...

Depends which direction you go in...

J
--

« Reply #2561 on: 10 August, 2022, 11:09:58 pm »
The way things are going, folk will start heading away from UK in search of a better life...
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2562 on: 11 August, 2022, 08:29:09 am »
You guys do mega miles! I was quite pleased that on the weekend I got my max square up to 11x11!

« Reply #2563 on: 11 August, 2022, 09:16:00 am »
SUP is the watersport of the moment.

(I'm not sure how any of these options would be viewed in what used to be the world's busiest shipping lane.)
I know the French are hot on permits for cross-channel swims, and it's similar with Kayaks - I was thinking you might need three crossings to do it, and thus you could do a modified triathlon. But it's actually fairly easy with a ride through the Chunnel and then a swim or kayak or whatnot back.

« Reply #2564 on: 15 August, 2022, 08:57:27 am »
Spot of MOD trespass and I'm up to 29x29.

Next up: swimming in Hartlepool Bay.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2565 on: 18 August, 2022, 09:32:34 pm »
Just catching up on the world of tiling, seems privacy rules have changed several useful things over the summer  :o

Three months of riding lots of coast have been fun but have done absolutely nothing for my Square or Cluster but I have an outline to fill in now  :D

In a complete chance meeting in Thurso knowing we were close, I had a couple of Coffees with the legend that is Jonathon France. He was on his impressive cluster expansion almost to JOG, we had a great chat.
Funnily enough he mentioned expanding into northern France/Belgium maybe seeing your channel hopping discussion.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2566 on: 20 August, 2022, 06:25:41 pm »

There's one tile near me that's been bugging me since I started tiling. It's only accessible via water, or creative trespass on some farm tracks.

Every time I've cycled past the gate to said farm tracks has been locked. And as it's not frozen over enough for me to walk this bit. That left only one option. The water.

Fortunately there is a kayak/canoe hire place about 200m from the edge of the tile. Today I persuaded 5 friends to join me on a kayak trip around the nature area that just happened to include the tile. 9km of paddling to get one tile. Tho in theory we could have done about 800m and got the tile. I am very glad I have friends who are ok with enabling my tile hunts.

Before:

And after:

This, along with the riding I did for my failed TCR attempt brings me to:

13231 tiles
Max square 29x29
Max Cluster: 2272

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2567 on: 23 August, 2022, 05:37:14 am »
A Belgian supped across the channel last Sunday in 6h15. Dutch video Two more crossings to go!

wfb

« Reply #2569 on: 28 August, 2022, 04:31:07 pm »
Impressive stuff.
The Tile Collector

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2570 on: 04 September, 2022, 03:07:51 pm »

Had to go to a place near Enschede for a birthday party, so took the opportunity to bag some tiles.

Cluster now goes all the way from the North sea near Den haag, to the German border at Enschede.

Next goal: The Belgian border.

J
--

« Reply #2571 on: 12 September, 2022, 03:54:52 pm »
Have things changed with how VV talks to Strava? My VV is now missing loads of start/ends etc. and shows Zwift rides (even when I've got them turned off).

« Reply #2572 on: 12 September, 2022, 04:17:41 pm »
Strava has added a feature to hide the start/end of rides. Check on your privacy settings. Seems it is set to 200m by default.

« Reply #2573 on: 12 September, 2022, 04:23:23 pm »
Strava has added a feature to hide the start/end of rides. Check on your privacy settings. Seems it is set to 200m by default.
Has that not always been so? I'll have a look at it.

« Reply #2574 on: 12 September, 2022, 04:34:36 pm »
Its always had a feature to hide the start/end for specific locations.
The new feature hides the start/end for any rides, wherever they start. And you can adjust it for each ride if you want.