Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 124316 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #825 on: 13 March, 2022, 08:41:00 am »
The Bahco ones are pretty good for the price I have a couple

If you want better look at the Facom Nano sets, ther are various conbinations and they are on promotion at the moment.

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/facom-r2nano-14-dr-super-compact-metric-socket-bit-set/
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #826 on: 13 March, 2022, 01:55:56 pm »
...Topeak's Ratchet Rocket stuff may do the job. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/75-Mini-Tools/1075-RATCHET-ROCKET-LITE-DX

Ooo!  Want want want want want want want want...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #828 on: 13 March, 2022, 02:19:45 pm »
You lot are a bad influence.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #829 on: 13 March, 2022, 04:22:40 pm »
Ain't we just? ;D

« Reply #830 on: 13 March, 2022, 05:23:22 pm »
Some years ago I was given the original of this as a present. https://silca.cc/products/t-ratchet-ti-torque-kit-2nd-generation

Beautiful.

« Reply #831 on: 13 March, 2022, 05:31:48 pm »
Some years ago I was given the original of this as a present. https://silca.cc/products/t-ratchet-ti-torque-kit-2nd-generation

Beautiful.
Silca do sell some very sexy looking stuff.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #832 on: 13 March, 2022, 07:24:48 pm »
I had a Silca track pump, which fell to bits while being transported in the toolbox on my bike-transporting trailer.  Though the barrel – a sturdy piece of Columbus steel tube – is still very handy for fitting the crown races of 1” headsets.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #833 on: 13 March, 2022, 07:43:05 pm »
...Topeak's Ratchet Rocket stuff may do the job. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/75-Mini-Tools/1075-RATCHET-ROCKET-LITE-DX

Ooo!  Want want want want want want want want...
Also a similar ratchet tool from Giant/Liv. A bit simpler and cheaper, but still most of the bits you would need on a bike.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-ratchet-multi-tool

rr

« Reply #834 on: 13 March, 2022, 10:31:35 pm »
You need the Wera bicycle 3 set: https://products.wera.de/en/tools_by_trade_tool_sets_for_bicycles_and_e-bikes_bicycle_set_3.html

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #835 on: 14 March, 2022, 03:48:25 pm »
For small Bahco ratchet sets, I love this:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y8TIMY

It is very small, easy to carry, cheap enough that I have a couple of them stashed in different places, and the right bits to do most minor tasks. The ratchet gets into places others can't as it's so small.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #836 on: 19 March, 2022, 08:56:32 pm »
Not exactly a tool but I've acquired one of those Bisley grey cabinets with loads of small drawers - originally for stationery but useful for tools (with some foam rubber inserts in the drawers)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #837 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:24:34 am »
We are a three Bisley house. One in the garage, full of bike tools and spares and two in the study, one full of textile craft tools and one full of reels of thread.

Bisleys really are the most brilliant storage solution.

« Reply #838 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:53:28 am »
I have a 10 drawer one in the studio/workshop. Containing all sorts of small things.

« Reply #839 on: 15 April, 2022, 10:18:46 pm »
Mrs Pingu has it !!

It's a splicing fid so that I can make a closed loop like this : -

to a size of my choosing.
And here's my (not quite so professional looking) offering.

Which combined with a snap hook makes this : -

Rust never sleeps

robgul

« Reply #840 on: 16 April, 2022, 07:42:04 am »
Garden shredder acquired at an auction (a real, live one not the ebay) - bit of a bargain as it's as new but cost 15% of the new price  :thumbsup:     Works a treat if a bit noisy, takes stuff up to about 40mm - downside is just more space is used up in the shed storing it.

Oh, and a new patio cleaning head for my Karcher pressure washer as a result of a fecking div moment when I threw away the connection tube for the old one thinking it was from the previous, long-gone non-Karcher machine  ::-)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #841 on: 16 April, 2022, 09:15:59 am »
Last week I bought one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emis216s-216mm-electric-double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/271fv

Why oh why have I not done this before?  I've made numerous items of garden furniture before, and done woodwork around the house, all with hand saws and a Bosch circular saw.

I was tasked with making some garden planters for a friend's new house, and one of which was to house a cherry tree of sentimental value brought from her previous house.  I made the mistake of asking if she wanted mitred corners to the boards making up the 600mm square 16" deep planter.  Oooooh, yes please!  Can you do that?

The magnitude of the task by the use of hand saws and getting accurate, tight joints then dawned on me so I bought the mitre saw I'd always wanted.

Boy, does it make light work of accurate joints.  I'd already built a 5m long planter with hand tools but it made short work of the cherry tree planter and another long one to take climbing roses.

robgul

« Reply #842 on: 16 April, 2022, 09:54:59 am »
Last week I bought one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emis216s-216mm-electric-double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/271fv

Why oh why have I not done this before?  I've made numerous items of garden furniture before, and done woodwork around the house, all with hand saws and a Bosch circular saw.

I was tasked with making some garden planters for a friend's new house, and one of which was to house a cherry tree of sentimental value brought from her previous house.  I made the mistake of asking if she wanted mitred corners to the boards making up the 600mm square 16" deep planter.  Oooooh, yes please!  Can you do that?

The magnitude of the task by the use of hand saws and getting accurate, tight joints then dawned on me so I bought the mitre saw I'd always wanted.

Boy, does it make light work of accurate joints.  I'd already built a 5m long planter with hand tools but it made short work of the cherry tree planter and another long one to take climbing roses.

I know exactly how you feel - 5 or 6 years ago I replaced the quite large decking at our previous house with some hardwood - IIRC I needed to make something around 100 cuts on 6 x 1" boards - slooooow with a handsaw, not quite so slow with a circular saw . ..  but after cutting 3 boards it was online to order from Screwfix, 10 minutes drive each way and I had a machine!!!

It has proved to be one of the most used tools in my workshop . . . it's now built into my benching with in/outfeed tables and piped dust extraction.

« Reply #843 on: 19 April, 2022, 11:58:41 am »
Garden shredder acquired at an auction (a real, live one not the ebay) - bit of a bargain as it's as new but cost 15% of the new price  :thumbsup:     Works a treat if a bit noisy, takes stuff up to about 40mm - downside is just more space is used up in the shed storing it.

We have two. Both Bosch. The first uses a Archimedes screw thing to crush quite large branches etc into bits. It bogs down and gets bunged up and stuck with green or sot stuff though. We've had it for 15 years or so and its now scruffy but just keeps going. The second is one with a spinning blade. This doesn't do thick branches but will mince any soft of green matter nicely. Luckily I have a fairly big (if dilapidated) shed.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #844 on: 24 April, 2022, 01:32:59 pm »
The other day I pared my Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia Wish List down to zero by buying Stuffs.  Now I haz a one o'these:

Shiny Thing! by Mr Larrington, on Flickr, which means I need to find another excuse for not deep-cleaning the IBM Model M in the Great Hall :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #845 on: 24 April, 2022, 03:36:31 pm »

We have two. Both Bosch. The first uses a Archimedes screw thing to crush quite large branches etc into bits. It bogs down and gets bunged up and stuck with green or sot stuff though. We've had it for 15 years or so and its now scruffy but just keeps going. The second is one with a spinning blade. This doesn't do thick branches but will mince any soft of green matter nicely. Luckily I have a fairly big (if dilapidated) shed.

We have a bloke who every so often loads it into his trailer and tractors it off up the village to another bloke who has an industrial shredder. He uses it as bedding for his sheep in winter, or when lambing, or summat bucolic.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #846 on: 24 April, 2022, 04:18:44 pm »
I've just been using a 2BA socket.  There is no real substitute; no metric or AF size fits a 2BA nut well. Old Moultons use them for the mudguards and rack stays.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #847 on: 24 April, 2022, 04:42:51 pm »
Bought a couple of paint scrapers today - new with spangly wooden handles and brass ferrules . . . quite a strange item to be on sale at an auto-jumble?

Oh, and a lawn scarifier is winging its way here from Mr Aldi's emporium - as it's only going to used a couple of times a year the (included) 3 year warranty seemed to be a good idea . . past experience with a couple of Aldi tools found wanting has been instant refunds at the local store.

« Reply #848 on: 24 April, 2022, 07:18:36 pm »
Bought a couple of paint scrapers today - new with spangly wooden handles and brass ferrules . . . quite a strange item to be on sale at an auto-jumble?

To prepare one's Morris Traveller for re-varnishing?

robgul

« Reply #849 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:34:01 pm »

To prepare one's Morris Traveller for re-varnishing?

;D - there was a half-timbered Morris Minor on display at the event.   It was the Bicester Scramble at, err, Bicester, today.   

Loads of interesting cars of all varieties, lots of car geeks and nerds as well as pink-trousered chaps waxing on about their exotic Porsches, Cosworths et al - oh, and we saw Dom from The Repair Shop tv prog.