Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144632 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2050 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:07:16 am »
Given the unusual weather conditions just now a couple of days off probably is a sensible idea.  Just try to ensure that come Wednesday you have the mojo and get up and go.

I was awake at 5a.m. so I got up and went to the rather superbly air-conditioned gym and did a session.  Very pleased about that and now I am safely back in my nest with my "stay cool" strategy.

I don't expect to leave the house for around 48 hours now.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2051 on: 19 July, 2022, 11:24:17 pm »
W6.3 25min

After a bit of a snooze in the heat of the afternoon (the 800 or so miles I’ve driven since Friday kind of caught up with me!) I was feeling relaxed and it felt cool enough, so I’ve just been out. I got lost on my way back, a combination of it being dark, and not knowing the roads and paths, so the cool down walk ended up being 15 mins instead of the planned 5! Still, the run was nice and relaxed and I think I’m back into it now. I might just do one more 25 then try a 30 min and see how it goes, I certainly feel like I could keep going.

I’m going to need a light though, running in the dark in black gear doesn’t exactly seem sensible!!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2052 on: 20 July, 2022, 07:42:56 am »
Well done Sir.  👍 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2053 on: 21 July, 2022, 02:06:47 pm »
Dr Beardy managed her w6.3 25 minute run this morning, but my W7 run is going,to,have to wait until this evening due to driving lesson duties.

I’m currently sat in Trelissick House at a window overlooking the Carrick Roads and a pot of tea in front of me. The heat of the day is not currently an issue. It’s ever so civilised.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2054 on: 22 July, 2022, 11:06:01 pm »
Something strange just happened. I didn’t go for my scheduled run yesterday becasue my daughter made me go to the pub and drink beer and eat takeaway.

It’s been a bit muggy here today and I’d pretty much given up on running and we were watching a film. But I couldn’t stop thinking of going for a run. I needed to go for a run. So I left those two sat in front of the film and went for run. I feel much better now. :)

W7.1 25mins, the last minute a a faster pace. I think that might be the better way to proceed for now, push the last minute or so and try to get some anaerobic increases into the sessions.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2055 on: 23 July, 2022, 02:16:23 pm »
I did 4K today in Berlin’s Tiergarten. Looks like the new shoes are indeed reducing my back issues, but I will probably keep running to 30 minutes max each time.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2056 on: 23 July, 2022, 03:16:08 pm »
Nice one Auntie H, I don’t think I’m up to 4k again and I’m certainly not up to 30 minutes yet.

I was thinking of going out again today so I could get back on schedule, but it’s raining…

« Reply #2057 on: 23 July, 2022, 09:24:21 pm »
A friend of mine wants to give C25K a go so I might end up just doing it with him as a way to get me running a little again.  I certainly do not intend to aim long this time.  Running for up to 1 hour will be more than sufficient.

I have to admit to not missing running at the moment.  When I think back to how anxious I could get at missing a run last year I am quite surprised.

New fitness plan landing on August 1st.  🙂

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2058 on: 24 July, 2022, 06:08:19 pm »
Go for it PB, you know you want to.   ;D

I’m beginning to think my eldest is a bad influence. I was planning a late run (it’s been raining most of the day) and she made me go to a,pub and drink MOER BEER. All is not lost yet, a long as she doesn’t force MOAR on me now we’re back home.

« Reply #2059 on: 24 July, 2022, 07:32:31 pm »
I'm just back from my Sunday evening yoga.  I decided to do a 15 minute trundle on the treadmill in the gym afterwards which is the room next to the yoga and dance studio in the sports centre that I frequent.  I set it to 10kph and did 15 minutes.

Felt good.

« Reply #2060 on: 24 July, 2022, 07:33:22 pm »
I ran Bramshall Road Parkrun yesterday morning.  I’ve not done a run longer than 5km since February 2020 (though this was my third PR since the Bramshall Road event was inaugurated in May), which is probably why I’ve got crippling DOMS today… but I somehow managed to win, and clocked a respectable 19:14.

« Reply #2061 on: 25 July, 2022, 08:02:02 am »
I'm just back from my Sunday evening yoga.  I decided to do a 15 minute trundle on the treadmill in the gym afterwards which is the room next to the yoga and dance studio in the sports centre that I frequent.  I set it to 10kph and did 15 minutes.

Felt good.

No aches, no doms.  Been out and done a strength and conditioning session at the gym this morning and now ready for a big bowl of porridge and raspberries.

Met a friendly ferret on the way to the gym at 06:00.  That's a first for me.  👍

« Reply #2062 on: 25 July, 2022, 08:30:30 am »
Went for a jog this morning, first in a couple of weeks (and the preceding week was only two very short, 2.5km runs). 3.8km

Pogoing at a festival left me with a very sore knee but it seems ok when walking and jogging.

So far, achilles seem to be standing up to a jog.

Bought new shoes, 'Icebug'. They have more drop (7mm) and much less padding that the Hokas I have been using. Walked the dog in them a few times and walking didn't trigger any soreness.  Finding them very comfortable, but the lack of padding is disconcerting. Getting used to it though.
Really want to like this brand, because they use a very high proportion of recycled plastics in their shoes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2063 on: 25 July, 2022, 07:31:46 pm »
W7.2

Another 25 minutes in the bag, thoug I made this difficult for myself by a) going out while it was still quite warm and iii) starting the session with a brisk 200m up hill. I still did the same average pace over all though so not all bad.

As I’ve missed two runs over tha last week or so, I might go out tomorrow evening if I’m feeling ok. Well see I suppose.

« Reply #2064 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:30:14 pm »

Felt good.

Just done another yoga and treadmill session.  I also found out how to get a large display of run info on the treadmill.  Another small but positive step (or three) in the right direction ...  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2065 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:49:07 pm »
Looking good PB. Dr Beardy and I are looking at doing yoga, Tai Chi or the like to promote and improve our flexibility.

« Reply #2066 on: 26 July, 2022, 02:42:27 pm »
We moved from our in person Pilates to online at the start of the pandemic. We use pilateslive.co.uk which has loads of videos by time and severity.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2067 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:28:30 pm »
W8.1

Just been for a run. I skipped the last 25m run and moved onto the first 28 min run. The problem is finding sufficiently flat ground to run on thpugh, because any incline is felt massively. At least I went the right way this evening and didn’t start by knakering myself. It was still a hard start though, but my previous experience has prepared me for difficult days and I just kept going and waited for my boys to relax into the run.

If I’m going to progress further this time I think I need to look at doing some strength work and some cardiovascular work as well as the Pilates. Thanks for the link Chris, I’ve had a look and will discuss with Sarah when I’m back in Suffolk.

« Reply #2068 on: 28 July, 2022, 06:24:21 am »
The thing I like is that she has classes from 15-60 minutes and multiple levels. Even within classes she gives options. On days when I am knackered I can do the lazy version and then on good days the harder version.

« Reply #2069 on: 28 July, 2022, 07:37:22 am »
First run of any sort for a fortnight and the first 5k for a month.
It was hot. It was hard work. And my legs were telling me I'd done something all evening.

But I've had the best night's sleep for ages and everything feels fine this morning.  :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2070 on: 29 July, 2022, 11:04:02 am »
W8.2
Hard? I nearly died. Well, ok, maybe not died, but it felt like it.

First run back in Suffolk, and I think I went off a bit faster than I have been of late, I then nearly inhaled a mouth full of water and in spite of running on personfully for a minute or so, I had to slow to a walk and concentrate on breathing deeply for a couple of minutes. I then ran for a further 20 minutes without issue, but feeling very leaden. I’m still a little weary after yesterdays drive form Helston to Woodbridge via Maidstone, which won’t have helped and it’s also 8 or 9 degrees warmer here than it was in Cornwall which will have had further impact I’m sure.

A days rest now I feel.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2071 on: 30 July, 2022, 07:34:17 am »
Yesterday morning I ended up doing 5k and all on tarmac. This morning my back is OK so Experiment shows the new shoes have fixed the back issues. Phew!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2072 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:28:32 am »
Good to see folk out again and not having problems.  👍

I've had a couple of days of disruption culminating in me arriving at the gym this morning without all of my kit.  D'oh!

Tomorrow I plan to do another treadmill 2.5k at 10kph pace.  Next week I'll be stepping up to 3km but also accompanying a newbie in his early days quest for C25K.  He needs pre C25K for August and we have a plan.  😎

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2073 on: 31 July, 2022, 09:15:08 pm »
Do I have the energy to go for a run now? I suppose the real question is will I have any more energy to do so in the morning.

I’m leaning towards going now but still looking for excuses not to. I do sometimes wonder what life is like if you are motivated and decisive  ???

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2074 on: 01 August, 2022, 12:57:52 pm »
W9 30min

It was hard work getting out this morning, with all sorts of excuses. In the end I convinced myself that I’d feel better for a run and went. The jury is still out on the feeling better however.

I made myself slow down a little and managed to run for the full 30 minutes. FCVO running obv. That’s 3.6k in distant. It’s still too son to think of running 5k, but I’ll bump up the time I run by 10% a week and by week 15 I should be running 5k.

Hopefully I’ll be feeling a little healthier on Wednesday morning and will get out before it warms up too much.