Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143083 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2075 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:01:47 pm »
A first for me this morning--running before breakfast.
MrsC and I were both awake shortly after six. I'd been talking about getting a run in before work, due to the forecast temperatures, and she suggested I just get up and get on with it.
By twenty to seven it was already a bit hot and humid for me. Add to that a heavy weekend (and just maybe one more beer than was sense last night) and the run was hard work.
Looking at tomorrow's forecast I will not be repeating the experience just yet (unless we wake stupidly early, I suppose).
Nice to know I can do it, though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2076 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:27:50 pm »
We all have those days Steve, the important thing is to get out of the door. I didn’t manage it for nearly a year, but I’m really enjoying my running again.

Given the forecast for tomorrow though, I might opt to wander down to the river and just sit in it. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2077 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:49:11 pm »
Dr Beardy and I have just watched the end of the Women’s 10K track from Birmingham. We are feeling a bit deflated. Basically the lady that won it ran the 10K in 30 minutes (or there abouts) which is more or less The time we are running. Smiles all round. Oh, hang on though, she basically ran three times as far as we do in the same time. How depressing.  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2078 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:51:48 pm »
And was she about one third of your age and athletically inclined?  😉

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2079 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:08:32 pm »
And was she about one third of your age and athletically inclined?  😉
And built like a racing snake, and possibly taller than me into the bargain.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2080 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:51:17 pm »
W9 30min

Hot and sweaty, even at this time of night. Steady enough though.  :smug:

Cool down enough to shower. Then bed.  :D

« Reply #2081 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:41:51 am »
Well done!  :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2082 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:35:38 am »
Dr Beardy and I have just watched the end of the Women’s 10K track from Birmingham. We are feeling a bit deflated. Basically the lady that won it ran the 10K in 30 minutes (or there abouts) which is more or less The time we are running. Smiles all round. Oh, hang on though, she basically ran three times as far as we do in the same time. How depressing.  :o

There is ALWAYS someone faster.

My neighbour doesn't train. He works his land (market gardening) and does landscape gardening.

Does parkrun and the odd half. He holds the local record for parkrun (17min over a hilly course) and jogs through a half marathon in 1hr 25m or less.
Without any training.

In other news, I went for a jog this morning. Just 4km, but it felt good.

Next tues I have to take car in for an MoT - the only way back in reasonable time is to jog home, then repeat in the evening. That will challenge my feeble leg tendons a bit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2083 on: 04 August, 2022, 01:15:12 pm »
Our local town is putting on a closed roads 10k in October which will come with 200 yards of our house.  I can run to the start and then home again.  I had better get training.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2084 on: 06 August, 2022, 03:45:09 pm »
Injury stops play  :'(
I missed the last run of Ct5K yesterday, and I’m not going to do it today either. But the muscle concerned does feel better today so I should be ok tomorrow. I might even go out with Dr Beardy when she goes out for a run.

« Reply #2085 on: 07 August, 2022, 10:42:50 am »
Feel I may have turned a corner.  Thankfully the midweek bug was not Covid and only lasted 48 hours.  So this morning I set out for a half hour low HR run.  30 minutes of running below 130bpm with only 2 short episodes where I resorted to walking.  Just need to keep increasing the time and then add some speed work to get back to where I was.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2086 on: 07 August, 2022, 10:52:53 pm »
I did it, I’ve finished Ct5K again  :smug:

I think I might have hurt my right leg though. It didn’t hurt at all while I was running, but no I’ve stopped, it’s aching and is difficult to lift. I think I’ve strained the big muscle in the back of my leg. A couple of days rest I think.

Chris, its good to hear you’re back on track for your 10K.I do find it mildly amusing when people speak of doing low heart rate runs or easy runs.  ;) It’s all I can do just at the moment to actually run, with my hr rarely going above 130. I suppose as I get back into it I’ll be looking at increasing my anaerobic fitness as well as my stamina, although that was a real struggle last time.

Right, time for a shower and bed.

« Reply #2087 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:23:05 am »
Well done Sir.  Are you planning to maintain your fitness or even push for something more?

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5K
« Reply #2088 on: 08 August, 2022, 02:19:52 pm »
I think for the time being I’ll aim to extend the time by 10% or so a week as a maintenance/slow build. I know I was capable of 10K only a year ago and to be honest, last nights run wasn’t really a struggle.

I’m considering how I will boost my anaerobic fitness, either through interval work or getting the rowing machine out. I’m also considering making a more formal hill climbing session rather than just those I inevitably encounter when I hit the trails.

The additional strength/cv capability will give me greater flexibility for running off road and I’ll be able to enjoy the trails more.

« Reply #2089 on: 08 August, 2022, 04:41:09 pm »
A plan is good.

I am seriously considering my first swim for a decade tomorrow.  I have a couple of friends who want to start C25K in September / October and I have done a couple of treadmill sessions recently.  I am confident that I can do this with them and just fancy a swim.  I bought new trunks recently in preparation ... 🏊

« Reply #2090 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:25:44 am »
Went for a swim.  Really enjoyed it.

Will be going again soon.  🏊👍

« Reply #2091 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:46:33 am »
Essential run this morning. Drove car to garage for MoT, jogged home.

That's my 5km done. Not looking forward to return journey this eve to pick it up, I think I'll be sore tomorrow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2092 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:54:11 pm »
How did the evening run go mrcharly?

I’ve just got back from my first post Ct5K run. Doing it a bit earlier makes for easier path finding given that I can actually see the path courtesy of the twilight, but it’s a bit warmer so I’ll. lame my difficulties on that  :)  I did 35 minutes, but did have to slow down to a walk at the turning point so I could have a drink. I was a bit faster as well. While on the run, I decided that the next run o r two will be over 30 minutes, but I’ll set my HT monitor to beeb at me and I’ll try and keep it in between the limits a bit higher than I’ve been doing. Then the first run next week will be another 35 minutes and I’ll see how that goes.

I’ve swapped back to my newer shoes as well, which I have fashioned a repair of the heel on. It’s obvious that thes shoes aren’t as well fitting as my brooks, but they have badly worn soles. I think I’m going to have  to negotiate for a new pair of shoes.

« Reply #2093 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:08:49 am »
I was sore by 11am, then got a phone call to say car was ready. So jogged in to pick it up at 1pm.

That's going from 3.5km twice a week to 10km in one day.

Surprisingly ok today.

Quite pleased with the new shoes. They feel very 'dead' (little rebound) compared to the Hokas, and I can 'feel' every stone underfoot.

However, I'm not getting the crippling achilles issues that I had with the Hokas (Just walking two km in the Hokas was leaving me sore for days).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2094 on: 11 August, 2022, 07:19:46 am »
just back from another 30 minutes.  I kept running and kept my HR below 130 for 95% of the time.  temperature is already 23degC!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2095 on: 11 August, 2022, 11:01:31 pm »
33 mins running. I set off far too quickly and as a consequence my pace dropped down drastically in the middle 10 minutes. It picked up again in the last 10 but I kept it down some. I need to concentrate on building stamina on these runs and stick to a reasonable pace throughout and do,something else to build strength. I keep saying this don’t I. I have started my book on what to do about procrastination though  ;D

« Reply #2096 on: 12 August, 2022, 07:07:10 am »
I started with a PT at Easter. He is based in his garden where he has a well made shed. Fully equipped to the same standard as a pro gym. He is U.K. trained but uses an American program, Michael Jordan performance??
I really enjoy the sessions and see a change. No gym fees to pay. He keeps all the money. No long term contract if I am bored, unhappy, away.

« Reply #2097 on: 12 August, 2022, 07:10:50 am »
Alternatively if you are looking for a running coach I know someone who does not charge. He is fully qualified, works with U.K. athletics , manages county teams but loves coaching so refuses to charge. Often people turn him down as he does not charge and only a paid coach can be any good!
If you are interested I can ask if he has space?

« Reply #2098 on: 12 August, 2022, 02:32:10 pm »
Went for another swim.  Definitely a good move.  I'm now planning two swims a week as part of my regime.

I need to get up to swimming for an hour.  The pool is so cool and invigorating.

« Reply #2099 on: 12 August, 2022, 02:40:52 pm »
Went for another swim.  Definitely a good move.  I'm now planning two swims a week as part of my regime.

I need to get up to swimming for an hour.  The pool is so cool and invigorating.
I love the way I'm not fat or crippled in the water. I just swim. I'm going 3 or 4 times a week before work.