Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 85841 times)

Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #700 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:52:08 pm »

Yes I don't recall anyone having teef marks before. Its certainly happened on TABR in Kentucky a few times.
I have a mess of dogs here at home and am used to dogs in general, but it didn't stop me shyteing myself a few times in Bosnia/Albania.
One close one just over the Albanian border in the pitch black where 4 red eyes appeared out of nowhere had my heart rate at zone 9.  The only situation where I was truly probably in a dodgy situation though was the day lost on the plateau below Blejnica. I got between a huge sarplaninac and his heard of cows. Hairy.   
I always remind myself that loads of cyclist tour the back country around there, some even with their own pet, and manage to deal with it.
Still get the shiver down the neck though!

I'm not a fan of dogs and have cycled extensively in the area. Generally they don't clock you're a bike until you've passed, then chase you up to the next property, where the dog there sees them off, then chases the bike. Never been attacked, until this year in Bosnia. In a group, a dog saw us ahead of time and ran at me from the side, leapt but misjudged and bounced off my pannier. It came back and did the same with the cyclist behind me, who wobbled and took down the guy next to him, who managed to pick up his bike and fend the dog off with it. Nearly as scary as the time I was chased by a bear in the Carpathians.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #701 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:56:00 pm »
Frank has just finished. Well done to him. Looking forward to both his dog and non-dog (bear?) stories.

« Reply #702 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:00:41 pm »
Well done Frank.

« Reply #703 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:23:20 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #704 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:46:26 pm »

Frank got the black jersey for being the rider arriving at the party closest to midnight

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #705 on: 09 August, 2022, 01:09:16 am »
Fantastic!
Well done Frank.
So pleased for you and looking forward to the debrief.
Enjoy the  satisfaction of  what you have accomplished and rest up well.
often lost.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #706 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:35:02 am »
He's pretty much on the home straight and will make the party. Top Effort.
Im looking forward to hearing his debrief and how this compared to previous ultras, in particular earlier editions of TCR.
From the reports filtering through, the dog chases seem to have been a little more prevalent this year, and the CP4 parcour with mixed weather for different riders, was a real challenge.

I've seen two riders have actually been bitten this year. Dog chases have been reported every year, but this is the first time I've seen reports of people being bitten on the TCR.

J

Yes I don't recall anyone having teef marks before. Its certainly happened on TABR in Kentucky a few times.
I have a mess of dogs here at home and am used to dogs in general, but it didn't stop me shyteing myself a few times in Bosnia/Albania.
One close one just over the Albanian border in the pitch black where 4 red eyes appeared out of nowhere had my heart rate at zone 9.  The only situation where I was truly probably in a dodgy situation though was the day lost on the plateau below Blejnica. I got between a huge sarplaninac and his heard of cows. Hairy.   
I always remind myself that loads of cyclist tour the back country around there, some even with their own pet, and manage to deal with it.
Still get the shiver down the neck though!
They probably don't ride much at night though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #707 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:57:46 am »
I'm enjoying following James Houston who is plugging along on his Brompton. His Instagram posts give a really good idea of the landscape.

« Reply #708 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:19:18 am »
I'm enjoying following James Houston who is plugging along on his Brompton. His Instagram posts give a really good idea of the landscape.

Is it public? If so do you have a link?
often lost.

« Reply #709 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:42:02 am »
@jim_london

« Reply #710 on: 09 August, 2022, 12:49:31 pm »
great entertaining story feed thx.
often lost.

« Reply #711 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:43:12 pm »
I'm on the plane now, with a big TCR contingent heading back home.

I really enjoyed it. It's a wonderful adventure with great company. 

My ride went well. Legs were good right through and my racing strategy was mostly solid. My equipment was good, but I could have done with a better back-up front light after I broke my main one. I lost focus twice: on the 23 road in the Czech Republic and on the crazy CP4 parcours, which cost me time and hence my place at the finishers' party.

Seeing all the things I saw was like 20 holidays one after the other. For example I've always wanted to tour East Germany, and now I have: thirty years after reunification it still feels more like CZ or Croatia than w Germany. The next day it was a tour of the Sudetenland.  Seeing how the hills on the border form a massive barrier between Germany and Bohemia and tower over the Bohemian countryside made me think of Munich and the run up to WW2. If the Czechs had been able to get Chamberlain up there to see that with his own eyes, maybe history would have been different? And so on - experiences it would take years to compile otherwise. 

Everyone agreed the route was a step up in difficulty. In part this is because the standard of riders and riding also gets higher, but this was a higher step than usual. I do wonder if they decided to beef it up when Christoph Strasser entered to avoid a really quick finish.

The off road parcours was shite, all riders I've spoken to hated it and felt it detracted from the event. The main problem was not that it was too technical, although lots of us were wandering around at the finish comparing arm, leg and hip grazes. But that it was too long. It took me 8.5 hours to do it, after climbing the Transalpina from each side. I started the climb at 3:30 am with good food supplies, but I ran out of food by mid afternoon and didn't pass an open shop until 9:30pm, 18 hours later, when I was able to restock. By then I'd then not eaten for six hours. If I'd been half an hour later I may not have found food until the next morning. I'd previously run out of water, having to go for 3-4 hours in the middle of the day with none before finding a spring. I really needed to have better mountain biking skills to get through quicker - others were doing it in close to six hours - but I'm far from the slowest rider.

On the more negative side, I now have doubts over the viability of this format with free route between controls. Others have been saying for a while that it is dangerous as it forces riders to use the busiest roads to be competitive, and I now agree.

Compared to 2016 and 2019 there was much more use of the main roads of Eastern Europe, which is where the main issues lie.

Four riders knocked off out of 270ish starters is a lot. I got spooked by the 23 in the Czech Republic. I didn't have any near misses there but felt my presence was causing danger for others by leading to dangerous overtakes. The last straw was a quarry truck which overtook me on a blind bend, using a single continuous blast on its horn, in the absence of line of sight, to ensure the road was clear of oncoming traffic. So I got off the road. However, by the end of the ride, I was much more accustomed to drivers relying on their horn to facilitate overtaking

The main road I followed in Serbia was crazy in places and one of the tunnels - unlit, curved and too big/black for my lights to reflect off the sides - was very scary. In Romania the roads were worst. In my first hour in the country I had my closest ever pass, maybe five inches from my bars. The road north of Targu Jiu was particularly awful.  This is three lanes with the side going uphill having two and one for down. And it has concrete blocks between the two sides, so when going downhill you either have to take primary or allow cars to squeeze past. It was on this bit of road that one of the riders was knocked off.

For me it's the width of the road that matters. Po Valley and Bulgaria seem to be wider, Cz and Ro narrowest, but it varies by road. I got run off the road by articulated lorries in Bosnia and Bulgaria.

Although I loved the event, I don't think I'd ride it again in its current format as I just don't think it's safe.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #712 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:01:48 pm »
1. Chapeau Frank.  Gruelling stuff.

2. Can someone explain the finishers' party?  QG posted earlier that the finish closes/closed at 2200 CEST 09/08/22, ie this evening. However from Frank's post up there ^ the CP4 parcour was a time sink and cost him his place at the finishers' party.  This suggests that the finishers' party cut off and the finish closing time aren't the same.  Is that right?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #713 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:08:55 pm »
According to the podcast, yes. Something to do with not wanting to make the early finishers wait too long.

« Reply #714 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:24:50 pm »
Well done Frank9755. A truly astonishing feat, in my book. Very glad you completed it safely. The driving sounds abysmal.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #715 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:34:15 pm »
1. Chapeau Frank.  Gruelling stuff.

2. Can someone explain the finishers' party?  QG posted earlier that the finish closes/closed at 2200 CEST 09/08/22, ie this evening. However from Frank's post up there ^ the CP4 parcour was a time sink and cost him his place at the finishers' party.  This suggests that the finishers' party cut off and the finish closing time aren't the same.  Is that right?

Finishers party was yesterday (Monday) 1900-0000. Black jersey was awarded for the last rider to arrive before midnight (Frank).

The finish (for GC) closed today at 2200 CEST (2100 local time). Exactly 16 days after the start. Anyone who finished before that time is GC. Anyone after that is a finished, but not GC.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #716 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:00:14 pm »
Phenomenal effort Frank, well done. Might I suggest that you (and as many of the field as possible) make their concerns known to Lost Dot? Admittedly, I'd never do it (even if I could take the necessary time off, which is doubtful, I'd never make GC and that would bug me as a 'failure', even if I got to the finish- I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, though they seem to have a problem with enjoyment), but I can't help thinking they've got the balance wrong this time. They certainly shouldn't be forcing people to take risks the way they have.

« Reply #717 on: 10 August, 2022, 01:29:07 am »
Oh boy, well done Frank.
Thanks for the report too.
In my experience, TCR will take on board all feedback and adjust the event for the future as best they can while keeping the spirit of the event intact.
it really is in its infancy and has to work its way through the growing pains of the early years.
Rest up mate,
Chapeau.

often lost.

« Reply #718 on: 11 August, 2022, 12:11:34 pm »
Yikes he's been through the wringer.
Well done Frank.
Join the flat pedal society mate!
Ironically (or annoyingly) he did loads of long distance rides on flat pedals in the past. I'm not sure why he changed this time round.

True.  I thought I started the flat pedal society as the only person to use them in 2019.
Since then I've had an ongoing knee issue which has needed a 6mm shim on my left foot to stabilise it.  I can't get more than 3-4mm with flat pedals so have been forced back to speedplay.  I hope that, now my knee is largely fixed, I can go back to flats for events like this.  Certainly for this parcours, they would have been great.

What happened was that the plastic shim started to break up at the front and the two front cleat bolts lost engagement.  After my initial shock I was able to stabilise the cleat by doing the back two bolts up bastard tight.  I could get one of the front screws in but there wasn't much thread engagement and it always came undone again after a few hours.  I could feel when it had done as the cleat became more 'floppy'.

If the cleat had deteriorated further my plan was to take the spring out so it was just like a placeholder and I wouldn't have to unclip, but it didn't get any worse until walking around after the finish.

« Reply #719 on: 11 August, 2022, 12:13:32 pm »
Frank is now in 71st position according to the tracker website. He's about 2km behind Oscar Shortt. Very different moving/stopped profiles. Frank is 73% 27% while Oscar is 60% 40%.

I don't think those percentages mean much, unfortunately. My hunch is they don't include time when the tracker was turned off.  I turned mine off every night when I slept while some didn't.
Similarly, I'm not sure what the distance figures are based on.  I didn't ride as many km as it thinks I did.

« Reply #720 on: 11 August, 2022, 12:16:19 pm »
Frank is now in 71st position according to the tracker website. He's about 2km behind Oscar Shortt. Very different moving/stopped profiles. Frank is 73% 27% while Oscar is 60% 40%.

He's pretty much on the home straight and will make the party. Top Effort.
Im looking forward to hearing his debrief and how this compared to previous ultras, in particular earlier editions of TCR.
From the reports filtering through, the dog chases seem to have been a little more prevalent this year, and the CP4 parcour with mixed weather for different riders, was a real challenge.

He's pulled quite a way ahead of Oscar now. About an hour ago the tracker was suggesting that Oscar may have taken a wrong turn. But then it also showed his speed at 80kmh-1, so I suspect it Might Not Be Trustworthy. Oscar is shown as stationary at the moment.

Oscar suffered major problems with punctures.  I passed him and he stopped me for a tube. I felt sorry for him as he said he had been stuck on the side of this busy main road for 4 hours trying to fix.  He had more tyre problems later.  He said that the tube I gave him punctured on the finish parcours.

« Reply #721 on: 11 August, 2022, 12:19:55 pm »
Remember: all E roads in Romania are banned. This severely limits routing choices.

I've cycled on E-roads in Romania, in particular the E60 from Predeal to Sinaia. There were no alternatives to travel between those two villages. And, you know, it wasn't too bad. Lots of traffic, but the drivers are expecting horse carts and Roma selling stuff in the middle of the road. Their speed was surprisingly sensible. A blanket ban on E-roads seems lazy of the organizers.

The worst roads are the narrower ones with heavier traffic.  I went on two permitted E-roads in RO and they were both fine as plenty of room to pass. However, the one north of Targu Jiu, where a rider was knocked off, was incredibly dangerous, and I had my closest ever pass (a few inches) just north of Severin.

« Reply #722 on: 14 August, 2022, 01:40:43 pm »
The Migden fish rolled into the finish this morning.
 Mid 60's and never failed to finish.
Thats some proper style belligerence and a heap of tenacity right there.

often lost.

« Reply #723 on: 15 August, 2022, 06:26:53 am »
Oh boy, well done Frank.
In my experience, TCR will take on board all feedback and adjust the event for the future as best they can while keeping the spirit of the event intact.
it really is in its infancy and has to work its way through the growing pains of the early years.
Rest up mate,
Chapeau.

At the time I thought about replying to this and saying that I thought that Lost Dot wasn't very interested in feedback and operated on a 'we know best'  basis. I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but Anna's comment from the Facebook group suggests my hunch was right.

Anna Haslock
It's not actually up for debate Neil. You signed up to a race with a clearly described off road parcours. There have been off road parcours on the Transcontinental Race since 2014...

I think the biggest threat to the race is this attitude, combined with a fundamental misunderstanding of the duty of care that rests with Lost Dot,  legally as well as morally, when it sends riders into potentially hazardous compulsory mountain sections. If it ever came to it, their position would be shredded by, most likely, an insurance company's barrister, and it would be the end of the race.

I  have massive admiration for what Anna has done, but I do think a bit more willingness to learn would help. I hope that Andrew is able to bring this.

« Reply #724 on: 15 August, 2022, 07:22:07 am »
Oh boy, well done Frank.
Rest up mate,
Chapeau.

At the time I thought about replying to this and saying that I thought that Lost Dot wasn't very interested in feedback and operated on a 'we know best'  basis. I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but Anna's comment from the Facebook group suggests my hunch was right.

Anna Haslock
It's not actually up for debate Neil. You signed up to a race with a clearly described off road parcours. There have been off road parcours on the Transcontinental Race since 2014...

I think the biggest threat to the race is this attitude, combined with a fundamental misunderstanding of the duty of care that rests with Lost Dot,  legally as well as morally, when it sends riders into potentially hazardous compulsory mountain sections. If it ever came to it, their position would be shredded by, most likely, an insurance company's barrister, and it would be the end of the race.

I  have massive admiration for what Anna has done, but I do think a bit more willingness to learn would help. I hope that Andrew is able to bring this.

I went onto Facebook to understand the context and was greeted by this:

An admin turned off commenting for this post.