Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847169 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #75 on: 10 November, 2011, 09:01:37 am »
That it is quite possible to loose over 1/4 stone in 24 hours through ones bottom alone and that it's possible to have evil shivers and sweats without apparently running an abnormal temperature

Yes, the plague is in town chez Quisling  :sick:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #76 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:57:36 am »
When trimmed a beard with a hair trimmer and a 3mm guard, DO NOT have eyes open.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #77 on: 16 November, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »
That it is quite possible to loose over 1/4 stone in 24 hours through ones bottom alone and that it's possible to have evil shivers and sweats without apparently running an abnormal temperature

Yes, the plague is in town chez Quisling  :sick:
Did you eat at the same Indian as me ? One second frozen to the bone, couldn't get warm at all, fell asleep, woke up in a "swimming pool", it all stopped after a trip to the loo.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 27 November, 2011, 03:10:20 pm »
That those keyed ring things that sit between a bar-end shifter and the bar plug bit are chiral.  The difference is subtle, and easily missed if you're sitting in a pile of bar-end shifter parts.

« Reply #79 on: 27 November, 2011, 03:17:28 pm »
A new word.

Chiral.

And having investigated its meaning, I'll be looking for the first opportunity to use it.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #80 on: 27 November, 2011, 08:02:51 pm »
Laevo or dextro rotary?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #81 on: 27 November, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »
Technically, not today.  Since it was actually Friday evening that I learned that a tandem fits in my living room.  Just.

Dangerous knowledge that, potentially...

« Reply #82 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »
Technically, not today.  Since it was actually Friday evening that I learned that a tandem fits in my living room.  Just.

I have a 20 inch wheeled tandem that is petite and bijoux (or petit and bijou, I don't know :-[). I could bring it for a trial at some point. :) It isn't very good at optical illusions but there aren't any near the den, are there?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #83 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:57:41 pm »
Right now I am learning about a woman called Jean Jenkins, who travelled around the world in the 1960s and 70s (back when the world was young  :) ) recording music and establishing the field of ethno-musicology. Right now it's 1974 and she's meeting Haile Selassie and trying to blag funding off him. It's rather fascinating. She seems to have worn lots of girdles!

She recorded world music before World Music, as they've just said.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #84 on: 29 November, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
Chiral.

And having investigated its meaning, I'll be looking for the first opportunity to use it.

A level chemistry tomorrow Thursday?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #85 on: 29 November, 2011, 08:53:18 pm »
Chiral.

A level chemistry tomorrow Thursday?

Day after, I reckon  ;).

« Reply #86 on: 30 November, 2011, 06:15:13 pm »
Today I have mostly been accompanying No1Son to the Grove of Academe at UEA (Norwich).

I learned, that in the 20 years since I went University:
  • It is just as easy to fall asleep in a lecture theatre
  • Halls of Residence look exactly the same (except now there's more IKEA products in the kitchens)
  • Students are exactly the same, even down to the outfits
  • Maths Geeks are the same nationwide
  • Debt is Unavoidable, even if you're dead clever1 and very poor2

1 A*AA and he gets £1k off fees as a scholarship
2 Keep up this unemployment and he gets maximum grant and a bursary.

« Reply #87 on: 05 December, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »
The word Seedie is a term for ex slaves employed by the Royal Navy in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #88 on: 05 December, 2011, 10:44:18 pm »

I have a 20 inch wheeled tandem that is petite and bijoux (or petit and bijou, I don't know :-[). I could bring it for a trial at some point. :) It isn't very good at optical illusions but there aren't any near the den, are there?

Petit et bijou, I think,  un velo being masculine and singular. (I think. A good tip I was given for trying to be confident in limited French was not to get hung up about the le and la stuff and just have a go...)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #89 on: 05 December, 2011, 11:13:01 pm »
(I think. A good tip I was given for trying to be confident in limited French was not to get hung up about the le and la stuff and just have a go...)
And don't. try. to. pronounce. every. word. because. it. doesn't. sound. right. You have to cultivate the right sense of flow, rhythm and mumble when speaking and let the reader's ears fill in the missing bits.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #90 on: 06 December, 2011, 08:17:16 am »
If you put some olbas oil on a tissue and put it inside your pillowcase to keep you able to breathe during the night, there is a good chance that you will end up lying on it and wake up in the night thinking half your face is on fire.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:43:51 am »
Tip: Put the olbas oil on the underside of your pillow.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #92 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:23:37 am »
Then how am I supposed to inhale it? Will it make its way through the pillow? Will that mean my pillow stinks forevermore?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #93 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:32:23 am »
Everything that ever comes into contact with Olbas Oil will reek of it for evermore.

My late, old Gran, bless her, used to daub it in bucketfuls on and around her person & it's the smell I associate with her memory.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #94 on: 06 December, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
...whereas if you squirt xylometazoline up your nose, it'll taste nasty for 10 minutes, you'll be able to breathe all night, and nothing will have to smell of anything.   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #95 on: 06 December, 2011, 05:59:59 pm »
Kirst, the underside of the pillow gets warm enough to vaporise the olbas oil.  It does work (but your pillow might be minty for a while).
Getting there...

« Reply #96 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »
(I think. A good tip I was given for trying to be confident in limited French was not to get hung up about the le and la stuff and just have a go...)
And don't. try. to. pronounce. every. word. because. it. doesn't. sound. right. You have to cultivate the right sense of flow, rhythm and mumble when speaking and let the reader's ears fill in the missing bits.

Exactly. I remember I started to feel comfortable in France when I realised I was saying "Au'voir" instead of "Au Revoir". Not that I'm anything like fluent, but after a day or so over there I feel more courageous about trying. 
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #97 on: 06 December, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »
Richard Jefferies went to school in Sydenham and lived part of his life in Surbiton.  Not what you expect for Wiltshire's famous country-loving author.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #98 on: 07 December, 2011, 12:58:48 pm »
This could have been a rant (predictable stuff; doctors' reception, no appointment till 8 days' time, late evening hour for a 7 y.o., then waiting 20 minutes after appointed time to actually see doc) but instead I have learnt two good things about the NHS, which IME do not apply anywhere else: prescriptions are printed so you can actually read them and contain dosage info; and they are free for children!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #99 on: 07 December, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »
That I am prepared to abandon an  application or an otherwise OK(ish) job partly, possibly mainly, because the prospective employer hasn't got secure bike parking.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου