Author Topic: Please recommend me some saucepans.  (Read 1365 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Please recommend me some saucepans.
« on: 09 August, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »
Ideally I'd like 3 different sized boiling pans for pasta, soup etc, and something for frying. Don't have cupboard space for any more. These would be used on a gas hob. Cheers.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Re: Please recommend me some saucepans.
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
It really depends on how much you want to spend. We have several Le Creuset stainless steel pans. They are excellent. But not cheap. We used to have their cast iron ones, but MrsC found them increasingly difficult to manipulate as they are heavy.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:13:57 pm »
I’d recommend stainless steel too.  My set cost around £120 18 years ago and are still going strong.

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:29:19 pm »
Ideally I'd like 3 different sized boiling pans for pasta, soup etc, and something for frying. Don't have cupboard space for any more. These would be used on a gas hob. Cheers.
John Lewis
You cannot really go  wrong

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:37:45 pm »
We have a Stella stainless steel set I bought 20 years ago that still look like new. Recommended.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:43:39 pm »
I use Stellar 1000 & think they are very good.    I have a single Le Creuset grill pan for searing steaks , but you need your Weetabix to use it.

https://www.hartsofstur.com/stellar-1000-3-piece-set-with-free-14cm-saucepan-s1a4.html

Always had good service from Harts as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:15:37 pm »
Go have a look at what they've got at TKmax, assuming there's one near you.  That's where all my kitchen stuff comes from, mostly end of line or incomplete sets. 
I'm also short of cupboard space and a hard anodised saute pan with a lid doubles up as saucepan and frying pan, also goes under the grill, occasionally in the oven. Cost £40 when it was still being advertised online for £70.  In addition I have that a three tier SS steamer (base can be used as a big saucepan or casserole) and a medium saucepan. That's it, I don't need anything more for the hob.

« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2020, 04:32:00 pm »
Go have a look at what they've got at TKmax, assuming there's one near you.  T

Good advice. Apart from the Stella set I bought in a sale and my beloved Le Creuset  steak pan all of our kitchen stuff comes from either TKMax or French supermarkets. TkMax has end of line stuff in at silly (cheap) prices you just don't have to be fussed about matching sets or guaranteeing they have what you want when you want it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:58:44 pm »
I find the pans with strainer holes built into the lid quite useful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain