Author Topic: Food confessions  (Read 3130 times)

Food confessions
« on: 18 September, 2020, 12:32:06 pm »
I bought some mince pies yesterday.  :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Food confessions
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »
 :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2020, 01:34:35 pm »
I made some ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:04:52 pm »
and I felt GUILTY having mince pies at Betty's in the middle of last November.

Mince pies and brandy butter were good though...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Food confessions
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2020, 12:38:34 pm »
We had mince pies at work this week - but only because m’colleague had got a load in for review. Such are the vagaries of magazine production schedules - Christmas issue goes to print in October.

Tbh, I was expecting this thread to be about things like people owning up to liking Pot Noodles.

(Actually, come to think of it, I do like Pot Noodles.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2020, 03:40:15 pm »
And I’ve never had any form of instant noodles, pot-bound or otherwise. I’d probably like them though. I do like the occasional toasted hot cross bun with strawberry jam though.

And vinegar on my cabbage/kale, which my wife finds bizarre. And as noted in the scrambled egg thread, curry powder and Branston pickle with them.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2020, 04:52:59 pm »
I only eat one mince pie a year usually. There are far better things to eat. And far worse also.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:18:16 pm »
And vinegar on my cabbage/kale, which my wife finds bizarre.

Nothing wrong with that, perfectly normal!

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:40:28 pm »
We had mince pies at work this week - but only because m’colleague had got a load in for review. Such are the vagaries of magazine production schedules - Christmas issue goes to print in October.

Tbh, I was expecting this thread to be about things like people owning up to liking Pot Noodles.

(Actually, come to think of it, I do like Pot Noodles.)
My employer prints for the retail industry.
POS and all that.
It has always screwed with my head a bit when account managers are flitting about in strappy frocks in August whilst engaging in talk of Santa etc:

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:44:33 pm »
Are hot cross buns worse than mine pies, on account of it being further away from Easter? Cos I had one the other day, with a bit of cheddar between the halves. Nom.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »
Mince pies are one of those things that I can have one and be done. They're not bad, but really they're not that good. Proper mince and onion in a pie, that's better. I probably spent too long living in Scotland. A place where mince is an entire food group. That's not a complaint, I throw most meat in the food processor and zap it. I have some theory about surface area, but really, I really just like mince. Expensive fillet steak, you say. Meet Mademoiselle Magimix.

There's no shame in a pot noodle. There's an entire instant noodle museum in Yokohama, you can assemble your own custom instant noodle pot (yes, yes, you can do sweet ones, but sweet noodles fuck with your notions of right and wrong, so don't just wander into the sweet noodle scene). I was in there for days before security removed me.

I don't really have any food shame. I can make anything into a sandwich and I frequently do. I'm suffering at the moment, my wife used to be away a lot on business (things are a bit odd, we've never actually spent time together, as a pair of peripathetic business travellers, we're used to exchanging a kiss as we pass in the porch every week or two), and everytime she disappeared I'd just get lots of beer and retreat to the kitchen, aka sandwich experimentation lab. She's not so keen on experimental sandwiches. Can I have that without the bread? Sigh.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:52:25 pm »
Lockshen Pudding is a Jewish sweet noodle Thing. Cooked flat noodles mixed with egg, sugar & spice, fat & dried fruit, then baked...

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:24:42 pm »
Those of you who don’t like mince pies have just never had a good one.

To be fair, pretty much all shop-bought mince pies are terrible, even the posh ones. And many home-made ones are pretty bad too. People don’t get the pastry right. Or the balance of filling.

In fact, it’s so rare to get a really good mince pie that I can fully understand why people are mostly down on them. But a good mince pie is a real treat.

Most of the above holds true for hot cross buns as well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2020, 12:37:13 am »
Pot Noodles are misleadingly named. I ate six in one go and didn't get the tiniest bit stoned.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:11:26 am »
Sausage and marmalade sandwich.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:24:21 am »
I'm not really a sweet person, I find most dessert products a bit meh. I don't dislike a slice of cake or a mince pie, but I don't crave the sweet stuff and I rarely ever eat dessert. Or biscuits and sweet snacks for that matter. I'm firmly in the savoury camp.

I think the only mince pies I normally eat are handed to me at gatherings, I don't buy them, as neither of us Chez Asbestos is really into sweet things.

« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:30:48 am »
This sentiment should be considered thoroughly endorsed! :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:39:59 am »
Gah, no, that's sandwiches with sweet relish territory. An unnecessary modern evil. That foul and unannounced chilli jam that besmirches many a sandwich and has to be scraped out onto the side of the plate where it belongs. If I wanted a jam sandwich, I would have ordered one.

« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:10:44 am »
How 'bout peanut butter and tomato sandwich? People hear that and go euwgh.... those are the people that haven't tried it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:48:53 am »
Peanut butter and red pepper.

Bacon and plum jam. (Sorry ian)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 21 September, 2020, 01:31:52 pm »
Sausage and any chutney on bread is one of our staples; this is sausage and orange chutney...

« Reply #21 on: 21 September, 2020, 01:45:03 pm »
Peanut butter and marmite sandwich. Lekker.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: 21 September, 2020, 01:51:43 pm »
Peanut butter and apple. Baie lekker.

« Reply #23 on: 21 September, 2020, 02:23:17 pm »
White grape and English mustard.
I defy anyone not to immediately fall in love with that combination.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 21 September, 2020, 02:45:02 pm »
Peanut butter and apple. Baie lekker.

Bale?
Heel maybe...