Author Topic: Humber Bridge Closed  (Read 11278 times)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
Re: Humber Bridge Closed
« Reply #25 on: 05 April, 2021, 03:58:30 pm »
Time to think about a new route for LEL 2021 2022?

I can see both sides of the decision to close the Humber Bridge, but on balance it strike me as a disproportionate response when there isn't an equivalent alternative for cyclists.  When the Edinburgh Bypass opened, cycling was banned but there is a signposted alternative (which is a bit rubbish but at least it exists). 

IIRC LEL 2022 was planning to use Dunfermline as its northern destination so that will mean crossing the Forth Road Bridge twice.  I hadn't thought of it until now but were the FRB to be closed then the detour would add around 30km each way (via Kincardine Bridge) though I very much suspect that the LEL organisers with their customary effectiveness will have thought about this long before me.

A number of times I've cycled over the FRB late at night or the early hours I've noticed an official vehicle on the cycle path.  Id initially thought it was maintenance related but its possible that they monitor the situation more actively than Id imagined.     

« Reply #26 on: 05 April, 2021, 04:08:10 pm »
I've accidentally cycled on Westway and the West Cross Route, neither of which have motorway status any more but are forbidden to cyclists.  However, if you get caught in the one-way system on Gloucester Terrace, that's where you end up.  There is a prohibition sign for bigger lorries and buses, but not for bikes.

That's crazy.
That's exactly where I ended up on it. If there's no sign, any prohibition can't be enforced anyway.

I think part of the A40 on the approach to Oxford is No Cycling.

I have cycled on the forbidden bits of the A406 in the wee small hours.
None that I'm aware of. I've cycled the A40 from the Wolvercote to Denham at various times. There is a section of the A4142 that's signed as no cycling heading northbound from Horspath, cycling southbound from that junction was always good fun.  :thumbsup: Actually going past a no cycling sign a little further along on the service road for the Mini plant, then immediately rejoining, only to exit for Cowley (you could stay on!). It was fun because you avoided most of the traffic flow, and could get some decent speed up down the Cowley exit.

Now, I did once end up on the M40 from Milton Common until I got back onto the A40 at Wheatley...

Anyway, regarding the Humber, it looks like at this angle you could avoid seeing the cycling restrictions.

"If you can't see it, it's not there!"

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 05 April, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »
Time to think about a new route for LEL 2021 2022?

I can see both sides of the decision to close the Humber Bridge, but on balance it strike me as a disproportionate response when there isn't an equivalent alternative for cyclists.  When the Edinburgh Bypass opened, cycling was banned but there is a signposted alternative (which is a bit rubbish but at least it exists). 

IIRC LEL 2022 was planning to use Dunfermline as its northern destination so that will mean crossing the Forth Road Bridge twice.  I hadn't thought of it until now but were the FRB to be closed then the detour would add around 30km each way (via Kincardine Bridge) though I very much suspect that the LEL organisers with their customary effectiveness will have thought about this long before me.

A number of times I've cycled over the FRB late at night or the early hours I've noticed an official vehicle on the cycle path.  Id initially thought it was maintenance related but its possible that they monitor the situation more actively than Id imagined.   
Yeah, I've had to consider the possibility of a "police incident" for the calendar event im hoping to run in October and perm on the same route.

At least with wind closures its fairly predictable and cycling is unpleasant well before they close (FRB even more so due to low barrier and precipice both sides of the cycleway).

The TRB being in town means its a fairly regular occurrence, I once took an early morning ride and as I approached Newport from Tayport saw brake lights followed people looking shocked, someone had launched themselves from the highest part of the bridge onto the road below. Was kind of glad of the sub minute delay caused by early morning tourists in St Andrews.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 05 April, 2021, 06:32:12 pm »

Anyway, regarding the Humber, it looks like at this angle you could avoid seeing the cycling restrictions.

What do you think the sign with the black bicycle on a white background with a red circle round it is then?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2021, 06:49:36 pm »

What do you think the sign with the black bicycle on a white background with a red circle round it is then?
being on the left post as it is you could conclude that is,for the ‘footpath’ on the left and not for the main carriageway.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:13:04 pm »

being on the left post as it is you could conclude that is,for the ‘footpath’ on the left and not for the main carriageway.
There is one on the right, but it's positioned before this point, so you wouldn't see it. There is an explanatory sign there "no cycling on carriageway". But my primary point is that any cyclist making that maneouvre is going to be looking to their right for traffic, not at street furniture on their left, which I'm sure could reasonably be kept out of your field of view until you were past the thing.

« Reply #31 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:39:42 pm »
One audaxer crosses the bridge on main carriageway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4hR51Gilw

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:56:55 pm »
Doesn't show us the relevant section of his ride though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #33 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:11:31 am »
Humber Bridge staff tell cyclist he can ride across it on main carriageway … police at other end tell him he can’t

https://road.cc/content/news/mixed-messages-cyclist-who-rode-across-humber-bridge-282333?

“I showed up ready to ride across, at the ramp I was greeted by someone from security who said if you want to cross they expect you to use the main carriageway.

“So hopping over the barrier a little bit further up I did just that, half way across the bridge, a private security van caught up with me and by the end I reached the other side of the bridge I was being bothered by traffic police.

“They told me I should not have crossed, so naturally I explained how I came to cross over and then proceeded to ask what about people who bikes who commute to work? What is the Humber Bridge Board doing to secure their safety?”

Mr Lake, who in the video said he “wouldn’t recommend” crossing the bridge on the dual carriageway due to the gusts of wind he experienced while passing under its arches, added that he hopes the bridge will be reopened “sooner rather than later – I don’t want to be known as the last person to ride across it.”
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #34 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:53:00 pm »
Doesn't show us the relevant section of his ride though!

That might have something to do this:

RL Comments by
Al, on Flickr

Which explains this:

RL Track.jpg# by Al, on Flickr

Which involves crossing a tensioned wire rope barrier between the live carriageways. Which might explain why the traffic police were a little annoyed.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 08 April, 2021, 08:17:20 pm »
Yes....

« Reply #36 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:10:52 pm »
Well written letter from CUK asking Humber bridge authority some searching questions.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/cycling-uk-responds-closure-humber-bridge-cyclists-and-pedestrians
I would be very surprised if the bridge authority have any data on cycling/pedestrian traffic volume.

« Reply #37 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:58:58 pm »
I've not looked at the CUK website for a long time but my first thoughts, after following that link ^, were crayons, 5 year olds.

On the subject of bridge use by cyclists, 30-50 ride over it early on a Saturday morning once a year on my favourite FNRttC*.

*I haven't done them all. Yet.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:34:14 am »
Some enterprising local with a small boat could start a ferry service.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #39 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:45:58 am »
The ferry service stopped on the very day the bridge was opened.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:54:16 am »
That was a larger ferry I think, that took a few cars too.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #41 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:00:26 am »

The only time I took the ferry, its days were numbered - the bridge was under construction.

I took my bike across the bridge before it was officially opened. The cycle/walkways were opened for a day one sunny Sunday and the population of Hull took the opportunity to have a day out and get a closer look at the sunlit uplands of Lincolnshire. They were too crowded for me to cycle so I pushed my laden bike all the way to Barton.

In Roman time there was supposed to have been a ford.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #42 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:03:32 am »
I think this is their way of highlighting their concerns and trying to get the funding from other authorities.  I don't think they're cynical, just desperate.

This looks likely. The current railing is low and easy to climb. A higher railing constructed appropriately would really help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:10:40 am »

The only time I took the ferry, its days were numbered - the bridge was under construction.

I took my bike across the bridge before it was officially opened. The cycle/walkways were opened for a day one sunny Sunday and the population of Hull took the opportunity to have a day out and get a closer look at the sunlit uplands of Lincolnshire. They were too crowded for me to cycle so I pushed my laden bike all the way to Barton.

There's also supposed to have been a Roman ford across the Severn estuary, approximately where there are two villages called Purton on opposite banks (just upstream from Sharpness). It's hard to believe it was ever possible to walk across without sinking in the mud.

« Reply #44 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:14:41 am »

Worth noting that the location of the Roman ford (Ermine St) is pretty obvious, and somewhat further upstream. Direct continuation of the Roman A15.

Chris S

« Reply #45 on: 13 April, 2021, 11:23:13 am »
I have no idea what the solution is, but the one employed on the Hownsgill Viaduct near here is hideous. Fboab and I cycled over there the other week (it's on the Waskerley Way cycle route) and the wind howling through the bars served to underline what an utterly tragic place it's become, and it's a really sad reflection on our world that these defences are even needed.

« Reply #46 on: 13 April, 2021, 12:25:44 pm »
The Hownsgill solution clearly isn't, if the floral tribute was anything to go by, last time we were there.

I don't think the problem is a bridge problem. It's a societal problem.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #47 on: 13 April, 2021, 01:52:04 pm »

There's also supposed to have been a Roman ford across the Severn estuary, approximately where there are two villages called Purton on opposite banks (just upstream from Sharpness). It's hard to believe it was ever possible to walk across without sinking in the mud.

According to wikipedia, a 6ft 9in  man walked across the Humber in 2005.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

felstedrider

« Reply #48 on: 13 April, 2021, 01:55:02 pm »

There were 2 ferries.   The Tattershall Castle and the Lincoln Castle.   One is a bar on the Thames near Charing Cross and the other used to also be a bar but in Grimsby.

We went to watch the bridge being built several times whilst it was under construction.  I remember at Primary School we were allowed out of class to watch the Queen drive over it on its opening day.

« Reply #49 on: 13 April, 2021, 02:12:32 pm »
The Hownsgill solution clearly isn't, if the floral tribute was anything to go by, last time we were there.

Our local one had barriers put up in 2019 and I've not heard of anyone jumping since:
https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/local-council/mother-of-man-who-died-at-archway-bridge-ecstatic-as-3822058

(there are side barriers painted black that aren't obvious in that pic)

I don't think the problem is a bridge problem. It's a societal problem.

Having a well known local suicide hotspot tends to be an important nudge towards actioning bad thoughts.