Author Topic: County Cricket Championship 2021  (Read 8070 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: County Cricket Championship 2021
« Reply #50 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:19:00 pm »
Yes, it's hard to see Durham coming back now. A very good second innings by Essex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2021, 07:01:54 pm »
Well done, Essex!  Your Australian was much more effective than ours!  Let's hope the players we both had missing put in a shift against New Zealand, including Ben Stokes..... the New Zealander!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:05:06 pm »
A remarkable win for Leicestershire, who were chasing a massive 378, and got them for the loss of only 5 wickets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO49995

« Reply #53 on: 30 May, 2021, 08:44:23 pm »
On my usual theme, an excellent display from an Australian and a South African!  Must have been terrific to watch.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #54 on: 30 May, 2021, 09:58:53 pm »
I don't know any of the players these days.

There was a time when I was very knowledgeable about the minutiae of first class cricket, to the extent that I was invited to quizzes to answer cricket questions. But then Brian Lara happened and a lot of the records I had spent my formative years memorising weren't records any more. You can't reprogramme your brain to accept this new data with such facility when you are in your forties.

The funniest example of this was when I was working for Customs - 1994 or 95 I think. A colleague and I were due to go to Scotland for work purposes and since we were both involved in VAT computing, and enforcement law in Scotland is quite different from that in England, we arranged a trip. We shared a boss, so we told him about our plans to visit Aberdeen and Elgin in June. "Oh!," said he, "This needs a management check!" His boss got to hear about it and he decided it needed a management check as well, so four of us got on the plane at Stansted. We'll call our boss's boss Brian, as that was his name.

We were staying in Dufftown and at breakfast, Brian was reading the Independent. Suddenly he exclaimed "Good grief! Good grief!"

"What's up Brian?" we enquired.

"Brian Lara has just scored 501 in a test match!"

"Crikey!" I replied, quick as a flash, "That beats Hanif Mohammed's 499 for Karachi against Bahawalpur in 1959!"

Second look of utter incredulity on Brian's face in as many seconds.

"How did you know that?"

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #55 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:30:47 pm »
Brian Lara didn't score 501 in a test match. It was a county championship match against Durham.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #56 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »
Go on, rub it in, why don't you!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #57 on: 31 May, 2021, 01:15:43 am »
Lara's highest Test score is a paltry 400 not out.  Admittedly 20 more than anyone else has ever scored.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #58 on: 01 June, 2021, 01:59:45 pm »
Brian Lara didn't score 501 in a test match. It was a county championship match against Durham.

I know. My memory isn't what it was. Apropos my previous post, QED.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »
Go on, rub it in, why don't you!

Whenever I go to see my pal Penelope, and sometimes take her dog out for her, I go to Southchurch Park, which is about 100 yards from her front door. I look at all the people and think that probably none of them is aware of Essex's Day of Shame which took place there, when the Australians scored 721 in one fateful day in 1948. That remains a world record, I believe.

I was there some years ago with my dad when Essex played Glamorgan (my dad's county) in a John Player match. Mr. Gooch was on 176 (I think) when he was run out as a result of a bit of Pringle stupidity. IIRC Pringle was on 2 at the time and went on to make 50. I think Gooch's score was a world record then for 40 overs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 05 June, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
Nottinghamshire, having already beaten Essex a few weeks ago, are now in a dominant position in the return match. Essex haven't lost a match at Chelmsford for several years but I think they'll lose this one.

Edit nearly 7 hours later: Essex are still in there, after a low point of 14 - 3 this morning. 7 wickets down now, and still trailing by over 100 runs, but that means that Notts will have to take 13 wickets tomorrow and score enough runs to shut Essex out of the game.

Assuming Essex and Notts do qualify for the next stage, they won't play again but Notts will start with the points they accrued against Essex, which will be quite a lot.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:45:34 pm »
Derbyshire v Essex abandoned due to Covid outbreak. Presumably that will put paid to Essex’s already slim chance of defending their title.