Author Topic: favouritekitchenthings  (Read 29541 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: favouritekitchenthings
« Reply #300 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:09:29 pm »
Hmm. Good shout. I wonder if they have any in the Furrybootoon click & collect place. I see they have the height on the website but not the stem length.....

For the record my favoured glass is 20cm tall and the stem length is approx 8cm...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #301 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:21:58 pm »
Hmm. Good shout. I wonder if they have any in the Furrybootoon click & collect place. I see they have the height on the website but not the stem length.....

For the record my favoured glass is 20cm tall and the stem length is approx 8cm...
Sounds like Morrison's cheapo ones that we use.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #302 on: 06 April, 2022, 09:20:00 am »
@feanor Glad it's not just me  ;D

@ian we had to give up on the boxes years ago cos we were drinking too much.

I'm not big on wine, but I keep a box of red and a box of white around, mostly for cooking purposes. I have the occasional glass (chef's perogative), but mostly to ensure that I don't end up with two boxes of wine vinegar.

rr

« Reply #303 on: 06 April, 2022, 11:51:20 pm »

Wine glass for Mrs Pingu by Richard Rajham, on Flickr

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #304 on: 07 April, 2022, 09:25:33 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #305 on: 07 April, 2022, 10:07:47 am »
Someone got me one of those tapes ~30 years ago. The scale you want to use is always on the wrong edge.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #306 on: 07 April, 2022, 11:00:54 am »
I buy wine glasses from charity shops. They are not packaged so I can pick them up and decide if I like them.
Some of the older ones are really nice quality, and it's the easiest way to buy old-fashioned 125 ml glasses.
That's how we control our alcohol intake - one and a half small glasses is much more satisfying than one big glug!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #307 on: 07 April, 2022, 11:14:35 am »
Someone got me one of those tapes ~30 years ago. The scale you want to use is always on the wrong edge.

But you can use funky hybrid measurements instead: "eight inches and three millimeters" :-)

« Reply #308 on: 07 April, 2022, 11:31:55 am »
Today's Ninja Foodi experiment is pressure cooked cheesecake.

Yesterday I noticed that my go-to recipe from The Before Times (it's so unhealthy I have a rule that it must be shared between at least 10 people) uses all of the units: half a block; about a dozen; teaspoon or two; a whole packet; 675g; 8oz; 2; 10 floz...

Weird, but it works! (In the regular oven, at least...)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #309 on: 07 April, 2022, 11:46:09 am »

Sounds like Morrison's cheapo ones that we use.
I just had a quick peek in the glass cupboard. I counted 47 various wine glasses. 2 of them get used regularly. One of them being a cheapo Morrison's one.
I also counted 98 other sorts.
Two people live here and we got rid of a load of glasses when we moved 9 years ago.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #310 on: 07 April, 2022, 12:50:05 pm »
Despite breaking what feels like thousands of wine glasses, never knowingly having bought any wine glasses, and not even drinking much wine, I still have two entire kitchen cupboards full of wine glasses. I think they breed.

In the good old days of being a student, we used to drink wine looted from my French flatmate's family wine cellar (in an actual chateau, his father is a famous Frenchie) out of tea mugs (washed with typical student aplomb). Pure class.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #311 on: 07 April, 2022, 01:06:01 pm »
We're not grown up enough to own wine glasses.  Not drinking wine helps, of course.  Barakta re-gifted the mirror-universe[1] civilisation champagne, which was the last time we had any.

(We had a decorative wine glass for a while, but it broke.)

[1] Her family like to refer to her by my ex's name.  It's confusing at the best of times, but was actually weird seeing it on a custom printed congratulatory wine label.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #312 on: 07 April, 2022, 02:18:58 pm »

Thank you :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #313 on: 08 April, 2022, 05:57:08 pm »
Predictably, the Ikea Click & Collect place had every glass apart from the 2 models I wanted to look at. So I've had to order online for delivery (I fail to grok how they decide what you can have delivered to the C&C vs home but never mind...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #314 on: 08 April, 2022, 11:50:05 pm »
I fail to grok how they decide what you can have delivered to the C&C vs home but never mind...

I assume it's somehow related to the delivery staff getting lost in the twisty maze of Ikea products, all different.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #315 on: 09 April, 2022, 12:19:11 am »

That looks like a glass I have drunk from in the past.

Trying to remember where we got (some of) our glasses from.

Have you tried Debenhams?
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #316 on: 09 April, 2022, 11:12:25 am »
Hadn't thought about there. Will try if I don't get on with the IKEA ones.
Meanwhile, who thought these were a good idea? https://www.debenhams.com/product/villeroy-boch-newmoon-set-of-4-red-wine-glasses_p-d52acb2b-6811-4272-9d94-4a8a19ae4caa?colour=Clear

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #317 on: 09 April, 2022, 02:20:58 pm »
Some ****ing 'designer'…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #318 on: 09 April, 2022, 02:25:36 pm »
Some ****ing 'designer'…

...who thought it would be funny if people spilled wine everywhere once they were a bit pissed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #319 on: 09 April, 2022, 02:39:36 pm »
It’s so the upper bit of the rim presses against the bridge of yer conk while drinking, thereby enhancing the bouquet of the vino.  Or there’s been a pretentious ponce at work.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #320 on: 11 April, 2022, 05:41:27 pm »
My remaining JLP favourite on the left, the Ikea replacement on the right.
Stem isn't quite as robust and the shape isn't quite as pleasing, but close enough and a darn sight better than the ridiculous Sainsbo's ones.
2022-04-11_05-18-31 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #321 on: 12 April, 2022, 02:30:25 pm »
I mainly drink wine out of glasses like these:

This is because Mrs Pcolbeck says I am a clumsy oaf who isn't to be trusted with nice glasses with stems.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #322 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:05:30 pm »
I did consider them but if you hold on to them your wine gets all hot (pretty much what happens with Pingu's glass anyway - when I go to refill I can tell his from the heat).

ian

« Reply #323 on: 03 May, 2022, 11:55:34 am »
I fear my trusty ancient Cusineart coffee-bot is dead (blows the circuit breaker, assume something is connecting with something it shouldn't). This is a very sad day, we were very good friends.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #324 on: 06 May, 2022, 04:18:00 pm »
Hadn't thought about there. Will try if I don't get on with the IKEA ones.
Meanwhile, who thought these were a good idea? https://www.debenhams.com/product/villeroy-boch-newmoon-set-of-4-red-wine-glasses_p-d52acb2b-6811-4272-9d94-4a8a19ae4caa?colour=Clear

TBH, they look a lot like the bulk-standard wine glasses you can get in Tesco Extra in Danestone. There's a big Tesco on the Lang Stracht, you could try there? Or the one at Westhill?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."