Author Topic: New sport, Snail Fishing !  (Read 3127 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
New sport, Snail Fishing !
« on: 12 July, 2021, 10:48:35 am »
Our garden seems awash with the pesky blighters, along with sluuuuuuuugs.  So I've invented a new sport,  armed with a 'litter picker',  the aim is to 'pick and lob'  I have a total score, and a daily score.  Duration of game.......3 weeks ish so far (not every day)

Best daily score.......................200

Total score (as of today)..........1140

(not including sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs)

Anyone else want to play, we could start a YACF snail fishing league.  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: New sport, Snail Fishing !
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2021, 11:09:23 am »
I have been exterminating slugs as often as I can. It turns out that they are cannibalistic, so when I've squashed one, its corpse acts as bait for others.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:14:05 pm »
Not all slugs are the enemy!

https://rshg.org.uk/2012/09/leopard-slug/

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:05:57 pm »
Not all slugs are the enemy!

https://rshg.org.uk/2012/09/leopard-slug/

Sam

Unfortunately we don't have any of those.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:19:37 pm »
I gather them up and put them in the compost heap, perfectly happy for them to eat what they want there.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:38:38 pm »
I gather them up and put them in the compost heap, perfectly happy for them to eat what they want there.
Don't have one of those either.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:51:43 pm »
Why not?

« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:55:27 pm »
Our garden seems awash with the pesky blighters, along with sluuuuuuuugs.  So I've invented a new sport,  armed with a 'litter picker',  the aim is to 'pick and lob'  I have a total score, and a daily score.  Duration of game.......3 weeks ish so far (not every day)

Best daily score.......................200

Total score (as of today)..........1140

(not including sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs)

Anyone else want to play, we could start a YACF snail fishing league.  :)
The litter picker is an inspired tool.
I have one which I use for retrieving stuff off shelves which would otherwise mean me climbing onto furniture.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2021, 11:18:17 pm »
Daily score, out in the drizzle with head torch.... ;D 135.....total 1236

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2021, 11:42:33 pm »
You do know that they have a homing instinct don’t you?

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2021, 07:38:53 am »
Mine don't  ;D

The ones I don't stand on get thrown out into the road where they can take their chances amongst the traffic.

This leaves a small number, which the thrush enjoys eating.

« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:24:23 am »
Does that not lead to compost full of baby slugs, which doesn’t seem ideal for using the compost on the garden?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:39:08 am »
You need hedgehogs - make an access hole in the fence/gate etc, maybe need to tempt them in with a bit of cat food and they'll get going munching the blighters. Provide over-wintering quarters and you've resident pest control.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2021, 11:27:30 am »
You need hedgehogs - make an access hole in the fence/gate etc, maybe need to tempt them in with a bit of cat food and they'll get going munching the blighters.

The Thing I Learned The Other Day was that hedgehogs only eat slugs when they're starving, and then tend to die of parasite infection.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:35:56 pm »
The thing(s) I learned the other day.........are that you shouldn't pick up snails, (unless you wash your hands after), as they can carry salmonella, and also , that earth worms actually come out at night. I noticed last night whilst 'lamping', there were loads, and they are huuuuge, and move very quickly when the light strikes them. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2021, 07:10:06 pm »
You need hedgehogs - make an access hole in the fence/gate etc, maybe need to tempt them in with a bit of cat food and they'll get going munching the blighters.

The Thing I Learned The Other Day was that hedgehogs only eat slugs when they're starving, and then tend to die of parasite infection.

Something must like to eat slugs! Nematodes?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:09:40 pm »

Something must like to eat slugs! Nematodes?

Other slugs.

Also a cat I once knew, who wasn't blessed with much in the way of  a) hunting skills  or  b) teeth.  DAHIK that she ate slugs.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »
Does that not lead to compost full of baby slugs, which doesn’t seem ideal for using the compost on the garden?

Never had a problem with sluggy compost.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2021, 10:08:17 pm »
I learned just to grow things they won't eat.  Lavender, hebes, box, conifers, roses, apples all seem safe.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:21:57 am »
The thing(s) I learned the other day.........are that you shouldn't pick up snails, (unless you wash your hands after), as they can carry salmonella, and also , that earth worms actually come out at night. I noticed last night whilst 'lamping', there were loads, and they are huuuuge, and move very quickly when the light strikes them.

And they make a noise like SHLUP! when they do.

I have a video of them doing so while we were out walking the dog one damp night, Mr Bait and I giggling like 5 year olds in the background. We are both easily amused.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."