Author Topic: Sparkling water - wannabe woke/right on?  (Read 9939 times)

Re: Sparkling water - wannabe woke/right on?
« Reply #75 on: 09 August, 2021, 02:09:52 pm »
No.
The preforms are made at one site, converted to bottles and then delivered as empty bottles. We underwrite the preforms but they're not delivered to us like that.
We're a contract packer, though, and glass is our stock in trade. Maybe it's different elsewhere. When I worked at Mackies Dairy (last century) they didn't blow their own plastic bottles there, either. Premier foods didn't blow their own squeezy bottles, they came erected. I think 'it depends' is the answer- after all, Encirc have their own glass factory making their wine bottles for their contract packing customers.

McFlurrys are a liquid blown and frozen on site. I think Mr Whippy is the same- it certainly is at Pacitos Ice Cream Parlour.

« Reply #76 on: 09 August, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
Milk isn't in PET, thats for soft drinks mainly I think, milk is HDPE IIRC.  Maybe it's that on-site blowing is a new thing at that particular dairy, I've certainly not seen the sort of traffic it's require to bring in blown containers.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #77 on: 09 August, 2021, 03:21:23 pm »
I thought Mr Whippy was basically a powder whipped up with whatever liquid - I'd assumed water for cheapness?

Back when I worked in the cash & carry, we sold Mr Whippy liquid mix in large-bags-in-cardboard-boxes like what fboab described.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #78 on: 09 August, 2021, 08:58:06 pm »
Never really sure why the UK doesn't have bottle deposits and returns

We used to, when I was small - back in the days when Corona was a brand of fizzy pop rather than something that forced us to stay at home for a year.

We also used to have Mr Bacon, who came round on his lorry delivering bottles of such exotic creations as American Cream Soda, then coming back a week later to take away the empty bottles and replace them with fresh supplies of tooth-rotting loveliness. (I believe Mr Bacon only operated within Kent, but he had counterparts doing the same across the country.)

We too had the Pop Man (I think it was Alpine). He also delivered a flavour that the internet says doesn't exist, but my wife (who hails from somewhere near where I was born, before she was abstracted to Essex) and I remember it. It was called GranCham and was the colour of extravagant urine and tasted like Champagne should taste if you're eight.

I vaguely remember bottle deposits, sure we used to collect empty bottles and get the cash when we were kids. It's still a thing in the US, you'll often (because there's no shortage of homeless people in the US) see them with trolleys full of bottles, which is entrepreneurially sad, but I'm sure is better for the environment. Much of the litter I encounter is discarded plastic bottles and the ubiquitous energy drink cans.

« Reply #79 on: 09 August, 2021, 09:13:37 pm »
Deposit return scheme is starting next year in Scotland. 20p deposit, for any PET, cans, or glass bottles.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #80 on: 30 October, 2021, 03:59:54 pm »
Rekindling this one.

There's a product called Smart Water, owned by Energy Drinks, a subsidiary of Coca Cola.  Here's a snippet from wiki-inaccurate:
Smartwater is manufactured by distillation.[11] This process removes most inorganic impurities, such as naturally dissolved minerals, but may let low boiling-point organic matter through. Afterwards, certain mineral electrolytes such as potassium, calcium and magnesium are added back.[12] There are no known benefits of distilling potable water combined with the readdition of ingredients lost in this process.[13]

Yes, distilled water with stuff added back. I utterley diskard it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #81 on: 30 October, 2021, 04:12:09 pm »
Hikists like Smart Water bottles because they are reckoned to be tough, light, and their tops have the same screw thread as a commonly used brand of water filter (as in a filter that you'd use to render river water potable, not the thing you'd have in the kitchen to make tap water taste better). I think the filters are called Sawyer but I could be wrong on that. But as that indicates, the water they're drinking from the Smart Water bottles is not distilled nor, um, anti-distilled.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #82 on: 30 October, 2021, 05:41:10 pm »
Rekindling this one.

There's a product called Smart Water, owned by Energy Drinks, a subsidiary of Coca Cola.  Here's a snippet from wiki-inaccurate:
Smartwater is manufactured by distillation.[11] This process removes most inorganic impurities, such as naturally dissolved minerals, but may let low boiling-point organic matter through. Afterwards, certain mineral electrolytes such as potassium, calcium and magnesium are added back.[12] There are no known benefits of distilling potable water combined with the readdition of ingredients lost in this process.[13]

Is this an attempt to rebrand Dasani? I guess 'Smart' is a more potent buzzword in 2021.

https://youtu.be/wD79NZroV88
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #83 on: 30 October, 2021, 05:52:38 pm »
What is the word for "adding stuff back into water"? The minerals you add are dissolved, you could call the water a solution, but what's the adjective? Mineralised water?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #84 on: 30 October, 2021, 06:27:34 pm »
Rekindling this one.

Is this an attempt to rebrand Dasani? I guess 'Smart' is a more potent buzzword in 2021.

https://youtu.be/wD79NZroV88
Dasani is/was filtered ( using reverse osmosis according to wiki). Smart water is distilled ffs, presumably giving it an even worse carbon footprint ( all that energy for distillation has to come from somewhere).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #85 on: 30 October, 2021, 08:00:06 pm »
Rekindling this one.

Not to be confused with SmartWater, the stuff that prevents below-average-intelligence criminals from selling stolen goods.

« Reply #86 on: 30 October, 2021, 08:08:20 pm »
OT, but parts of the brewing industry makes use of “Burton water”. The water in Burton on Trent is perceived as being excellent for the brewing of beer, so in other locations, groundwater or potable water is demineralised by reverse osmosis, and then has the “Burton” mineral mix added back.

I also installed a water processing plant on an industrial estate in Glasgow, where borehole water was brought up, filtered, demineralised, remineralised, carbonated, and sold as sparkling “mineral” water.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #87 on: 30 October, 2021, 08:14:14 pm »
I also installed a water processing plant on an industrial estate in Glasgow, where borehole water was brought up, filtered, demineralised, remineralised, carbonated, and sold as sparkling “mineral” water.

I think that's the difference between 'mineral' water and 'spring' water?

« Reply #88 on: 30 October, 2021, 08:56:36 pm »

Yes, I believe so.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #89 on: 31 October, 2021, 01:59:46 pm »

Mineral waters were originally medicinal. They were the waters you would 'go to take' at a spa well. But since many of them tasted fairly disgusting au naturel, canny folk added various flavours to produce Iron Brew and the like. That's why my young days all soft drinks were called 'minerals'.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #90 on: 31 October, 2021, 02:57:51 pm »
Hikists like Smart Water bottles because they are reckoned to be tough, light, and their tops have the same screw thread as a commonly used brand of water filter (as in a filter that you'd use to render river water potable, not the thing you'd have in the kitchen to make tap water taste better). I think the filters are called Sawyer but I could be wrong on that. But as that indicates, the water they're drinking from the Smart Water bottles is not distilled nor, um, anti-distilled.

Pointless trivia: UK Smart Water bottles have different fittings to the US ones and don't work with Sawyer filters. :(

[Even more pointless trivia: I (reluctantly) use a brand called "Actiph" with my Sawyer, because it fits. It claims to be "alkaline water" and is apparently "electrically charged". More importantly, the cap has the right type of screw thread.]

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #91 on: 31 October, 2021, 03:18:10 pm »

Pointless trivia: UK Smart Water bottles have different fittings to the US ones and don't work with Sawyer filters. :(

[Even more pointless trivia: I (reluctantly) use a brand called "Actiph" with my Sawyer, because it fits. It claims to be "alkaline water" and is apparently "electrically charged". More importantly, the cap has the right type of screw thread.]
Even yet more pointless trivia: I think the screwthreads on UK Smart Water bottles might have changed at some point. The hikists I know of who use them are in the UK.

I hope your electrically charged water doesn't give you a shock!

« Reply #92 on: 31 October, 2021, 05:35:14 pm »
Oh, that's interesting - it's been a while since I tried one. *Resists urge to go to Tesco with my Sawyer to scrutinise bottles again.*  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #93 on: 31 October, 2021, 05:38:15 pm »
Don't! I think they've changed the other way; they used to be compatible but now are not. Or on second thoughts do, if you really want to, cos I'm probably misremembering what people have said. I do know that the Smart Water bottle I have (and it wasn't me who drank the water!) fits the thread on Alpkit filter (which I've never actually used  :-\ ).