Author Topic: Minor clothing issues that do not require their own thread  (Read 2302 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Minor clothing issues that do not require their own thread
« on: 07 December, 2021, 11:09:34 pm »
When undressing tonight I discovered that I had out my socks on the wrong feet this morning.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Minor clothing issues that do not require their own thread
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2021, 01:11:48 am »
You have foot-specific socks :jurek:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2021, 06:48:48 am »
I have managed to get all the way to my gym (back end of the tandem garage) only to find that my cycling shorts were on backwards.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:05:46 am »
I have managed to get all the way to my gym (back end of the tandem garage) only to find that my cycling shorts were on backwards.
At least they weren’t inside out.  ;)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:42:24 am »

The cycling socks that ALDI has from time-to-time are foot specific with slightly raised "pads" at the appropriate points - I usually put mine on the correct feet but I'm not convinced that it makes any difference to comfort or fit.

« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2021, 08:55:13 am »
I'm not sure if this counts but I got half way to the pool before I realised I was still wearing glasses rather than lenses- you can't do aqua aerobics in specs. And I can't see for toffee without them.

There was also this: Clicky

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2021, 08:58:56 am »
I have a foot-specific pair of ski socks.
I have never worn them.
Nor have I ever been skiing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:05:30 am »
My everyday socks are not foot specific, but most of my outdoorsy ones are.

Which can lead to confusion.
One pair seemed to have two left feet, both being labeled L.
Which of course was the size, Large.

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:11:08 am »
For about 5 years I have been using Gore Contest socks which are left and right sided which I think is defined by the direction of stitching so that there is no pressure on top of the toes.  From Gore information "Left and right anatomical structure".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:15:12 am »
I have a pair of cycling socks which are foot specific. I think a difference is noticeable when wearing them on the wrong foot but tbh they're not the comfiest of socks anyway. And I'm not sure what makes a sock a cycling sock really. I also have a pair of toe socks. I think they're marketed to runners. I've worn them a couple of times. Putting those on the wrong foot would be like putting a glove on the wrong hand.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:37:23 am »

Yes, the elephants were medial, not lateral.  :facepalm:

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #11 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:08:25 am »

The socks I am wearing today have a little motif embroidered on each "leg". The CDO in me forces me to wear them with this facing out, thus making them foot-specific :facepalm:.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #12 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:12:10 am »
Walking to the shops with loose change in jeans' pocket.  A hole develops. Change slides down thigh where it sticks.  Discreet jiggling won't make it budge (I'd like to think that's the fault of cyclist's quads).  The public contortions required to make the money emerge from a trouser leg are embarrassing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2021, 02:12:41 pm »
I have a pair of cycling socks which are foot specific. I think a difference is noticeable when wearing them on the wrong foot but tbh they're not the comfiest of socks anyway. And I'm not sure what makes a sock a cycling sock really. I also have a pair of toe socks. I think they're marketed to runners. I've worn them a couple of times. Putting those on the wrong foot would be like putting a glove on the wrong hand.

I tend to wear toe socks both on the bike and running. The older pairs have a tag on the outside, which is handy. Some of the newer ones don't, so having one inside out can be confusing :-\
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:11:38 pm »
Clothing Issues?   Short and Lardy.  The X's tend to assume that you're as Tall as you are Wide.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2021, 07:35:36 am »
If footwear counts as clothing . . .  I bought a pair of work boots last week (q.v. Black Friday) and they came with an instruction sheet in the box ??? - at my advanced years I've worked out how to put boots on.

« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2021, 08:25:42 am »
Whilst working at The Science Museum we were due on site the following day. One of our party didn't have any steel toed boots. A pair was duly ordered  from RS. Before 10:00 delivery. Size 42.
The box containing the boots  arrived the following morning.
When opened it was found to contain a knackered old pair of boots. Size 42.
Doubtless, someone in RS's warehouse was stomping around in a pair of shiny new Toetectors. Size 42.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:06:58 am »
I don't understand pants/shreddies/grundies sizing.

Anything larger than Medium doesn't provide adequate nad support and Sir prefers to dress to the left, not all over the place.  However, Medium or smaller wears out faster, with elastic showing within a few washes.  Sexy.  Maybe I should buy better scads than Sainsbury's.

Also, socks labelled 9-12 are basically 8 after the first wash.  As someone with size 10/11 feet, this is a problem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:11:02 am »

Also, socks labelled 9-12 are basically 8 after the first wash.  As someone with size 10/11 feet, this is a problem.

Oh yes. My feet are 8.5/9 and I buy large socks, else they don’t fit after being washed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:46:31 am »
Also the seams on the boxers sold by Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles give way sooner rather than later.  Always up the left leg ???  If this happened after repeated washing it'd be one thing but having it happen on two out of three brand new ones Simply Will Not Do.  Boxers I have purchased in the past from Wolmart, due to an inability to count how many to take on holibobs, are still going after ten years.  This country is going to the dogs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #20 on: 09 December, 2021, 12:34:29 pm »
I don't understand pants/shreddies/grundies sizing.

Anything larger than Medium doesn't provide adequate nad support and Sir prefers to dress to the left, not all over the place.  However, Medium or smaller wears out faster, with elastic showing within a few washes.  Sexy.  Maybe I should buy better scads than Sainsbury's.

I feel your pain. My fave undies where from White Stuff. A Perfect Fit all round, until they changed sizing, Now medium looks more like XL. I complained - no compensation >:( so I passed them onto Mx W's BF (unworn, obv.) as he's a bit larger than me.

There's an easy solution to that one (but it's not pleasant)
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2021, 12:44:33 pm »
My favourite cycling jerseys (OK, those that still fit round the gut) are all missing the tag for tugging the zip because the PoS bit of the slider that secures it has broken.  Though in fact this isn't much of a problem because I can use the zip anyway, and it's easier to grab the edges of the cloth and pull them apart - the brake having departed with the tag - than fish for the tag with frozen fingers in thick gloves.  Looks a bit poverty-stricken, thobut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 09 December, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »

This is true.  I buy the large socks and they fit my size 8 feet perfectly.

« Reply #23 on: 09 December, 2021, 12:48:43 pm »
This country is going to the dogs.

Indeed.

I'm amazed nobody's yet said anything about seeing what Jaded did with that there title of this particular discussion. ;D

Standards are slipping! <irustles the Thunderer and harrumphs noisily>

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #24 on: 09 December, 2021, 12:52:19 pm »
I buy the Uniqlo stuff and it seems to last and provide adequate support. Though I don't understand boxer shorts, either raise or lower your undercarriage, don't be the pilot who leaves it to shake around until something important falls off.