Author Topic: Current Brompton range  (Read 6047 times)

Current Brompton range
« on: 21 December, 2021, 11:15:43 am »
Looking at the Brompton site, there is no longer the "bike builder" where you pick a model and add the parts you want. It seems you just get to wade through a number of assorted ready made bikes (mostly out of stock) to find something approximating what you want.

Is the same true in shops or can you still order what you want?

More worryingly, no dynamo lighting is listed. Has this gone completely? Is that going to be DIY from now on, with things like the wiring loom disappearing from parts suppliers sometime soon?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Re: Current Brompton range
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2021, 11:46:45 am »
The build-to-order system has been gone for a while due to parts shortages etc. Some dealers are willing to customise specs from shop floor stock, if they have any.

I hadn’t noticed the absence of dynamo lights. Tbh DIYing isn’t hard. The “loom” was always a grandiose name for a piece of wire do the correct length.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2021, 12:36:19 pm »
Tbh DIYing isn’t hard. The “loom” was always a grandiose name for a piece of wire do the correct length.

A couple of pieces of wire in a sleeve of grey I-can't-believe-it's-not-heatshrink.  I replaced mine with some of the lovely Schmidt coax (I was replacing the front light and installing new custom-length brake and gear cables, so it was relatively little effort), and it looks neater.

If I were specifying dynamo lighting on a Brompton now, I'd want the Shutter Precision hub.  Not sure if they offer that as an option yet?  (Not that it matters, if it's perpetually out of stock.)

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:04:09 pm »
If I were specifying dynamo lighting on a Brompton now, I'd want the Shutter Precision hub.  Not sure if they offer that as an option yet?  (Not that it matters, if it's perpetually out of stock.)

They don't offer *any* generator hubs as an option now, but the SP hub kit from 2018 is still available elsewhere.

When they run out, it's going to be a matter of working out which B&M lights won't foul the luggage block and getting a wheel built.

I suppose they didn't sell enough to make it worth while, though I'm surprised. Having lights always available is perfect on a bike like a Brompton, and a small percentage of the price when you're spending £1,500 or so on one.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:15:54 pm »
See threads passim for my experience of trying to source a non-standard Brompton. Or indeed any Brompton.

Quite frustrating. It was an S2L I wanted, which used to be a standard model.

Ended up not getting a Brompton at all, but only partly for that reason.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:18:26 pm »
They don't offer *any* generator hubs as an option now, but the SP hub kit from 2018 is still available elsewhere.

When they run out, it's going to be a matter of working out which B&M lights won't foul the luggage block and getting a wheel built.

When I upgraded my Brompton's factory-fitted Lyt to a Cyo Premium, I kept the Brompton light bracket in order to clear the luggage.  If that part's no longer available, it may complicate things...

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2021, 01:31:31 pm »
Especially as that part is:
1) useful on non-Bromptons with handlebar bags
2) A consumable

Notfromrugby

« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2021, 02:09:40 pm »
Shame, the bike builder was the best thing about the Brompton buying experience

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2021, 06:16:04 am »
I did a DIY dynamo installation this year, bending a Cyo bracket to fit and cutting wire to the right length.  You have to route it as per the Brompton instructions, because of the fold.  I used a B&M Myc front light and an Flat S rear, which are far better than the stock lights.

The hubs are unique to Bromptons because of the 74mm spacing and the 8mm axle.  The Shimano one is easily overhauled at home, unlike most of their dynamo hubs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:40:05 pm »
Brompton have increased their sales by 33% and their profits by a similar amount.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2022, 05:27:44 pm »

I suppose they didn't sell enough to make it worth while, though I'm surprised. Having lights always available is perfect on a bike like a Brompton, and a small percentage of the price when you're spending £1,500 or so on one.

As SP made variants of  their efficient hub generators for Brompton, hopefully they will continue and people can have their own generator built up by shop or self:

As for the continued availability of the front dyno lamp bracket, if not its either DIY or with riser bars, you just fit the lamp on handlebars (Perhaps Sbars could have a lamp fitted under bars if short luggage was used)...I prefer bar mount anyway as it avoids feeling the need to augment low mounted front lamp with a higher battery one on bars.

I wonder if  the fitting of wiring loom etc was too slow, thus dropping dynamo systems streamlines/speeds the production line?

Anyway Bromptons dyjnamo lamp choice was a bit rubbish anyway, fitting a Spaninga solo to L-types where is blocked by rear mudguard seems a bit careless....

For battery  lamps they should at least offer UK purchasers the option of a STzvo compliant Cateye GVolt instead of the plain unapproved Volts......

« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:53:24 pm »
I did a DIY dynamo installation this year, bending a Cyo bracket to fit and cutting wire to the right length.  You have to route it as per the Brompton instructions, because of the fold.  I used a B&M Myc front light and an Flat S rear, which are far better than the stock lights.

The hubs are unique to Bromptons because of the 74mm spacing and the 8mm axle.  The Shimano one is easily overhauled at home, unlike most of their dynamo hubs.

Dahon (and I think Tern) use 74mm oln hubs. Is the 8mm diameter axle the problem? If not I would have thought that if Dahon have a dynamo option, or if the asiatic aftermarket has a call for one, then probably SP would be making a suitable one for the aftermarket buyers.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:35:10 pm »
Yes, the "Dahon" version of the Shimano hub uses a 9mm axle.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2022, 02:51:50 pm »
Good news, the dynamo hub is still an option,
it is just  is currently not shown on on the Brompton online website, as the internal team is adding bikes based on the most requested specification reported by end-users.

Surely they could mention its as an option for bikes bought in a shop.....

Bad news: Lamp choice is still rubbish especially the rear lamp for L models...

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2022, 03:03:26 pm »
Yep.

I went into a shop, they sold me what looks like an S3L but I guess it has a new name now, with dynamo lighting. They offered a dynamo wheel but I didn't need one, just a rim.

There was a 10 week lead time, with no choice of colour.