Author Topic: Makes You Proud  (Read 4167 times)

Makes You Proud
« on: 12 March, 2022, 08:52:26 pm »
Saudi Arabia (sponsored by my ex-team Newcastle United) executed 81 (EIGHTY ONE) people today.  Thank you, Amanda Staveley.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Makes You Proud
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2022, 09:00:27 pm »
Horrifying isn't it...

And the UAE I think it is has oligarchs very similar to the Russian ones, storing money in unusable property in the UK and beyond. They've been bombing the Yemen or at least supplying weapons to those bombing Yemen for ages.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2022, 09:38:27 pm »
Absolutely horrifying.  And I think Arabia bombs Yemen with our jets, too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2022, 10:36:26 pm »
Saudi Arabia (sponsored by my ex-team Newcastle United) executed 81 (EIGHTY ONE) people today.  Thank you, Amanda Staveley.

And tomorrow there is the delightful prospect of Abramovich's team v Mohamed Bin Salman's team.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2022, 11:30:25 am »
It had not escaped me, P!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2022, 09:35:05 pm »

And tomorrow there is the delightful prospect of Abramovich's team v Mohamed Bin Salman's team.

Tory wet dream.

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2022, 05:00:42 pm »
English sport continues to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with butchery:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/60770081

Wonder if they'll hold the press conferences at St James's Park?

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2022, 05:03:48 pm »
Horrifying isn't it...

And the UAE I think it is has oligarchs very similar to the Russian ones, storing money in unusable property, racehorses in the UK and beyond. They've been bombing the Yemen or at least supplying weapons to those bombing Yemen for ages.

FTFY
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2022, 05:11:03 pm »
 :-[  Suppose they've won at Cheltenham, then?  Another reason to phase out horse racing.  I don't like boxing, either - but I'd like to see Tyson Fury v Sheikh Mohammed.  Or maybe just hear about it.

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2022, 11:24:03 pm »
Is this a moment of reckoning for English football ownership?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60734095
Eh? No.

I am minded of the Mash Report spoof of the Taleban buying ... Middlesbrough?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2022, 12:39:50 am »
Don't even joke about it - they are actually my fall-back (I'm from Stockton) now I have lost Newcastle and allowing for residential support of Rochdale.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 17 March, 2022, 01:58:32 pm »
Many Newcastle fans in turn point to the £11bn of annual trade the UK does with Saudi Arabia - including being one of the world's largest sellers of arms to the kingdom - and ask why football should be held to a higher standard.
Indeed.

But there are other threads for that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 02 April, 2023, 09:34:01 pm »
Many Newcastle fans in turn point to the £11bn of annual trade the UK does with Saudi Arabia - including being one of the world's largest sellers of arms to the kingdom - and ask why football should be held to a higher standard.
Indeed.

But there are other threads for that.

Just over a year later, Newcastle bin Salman (I wish they would) with their bottomless pockets, fielded 9 British players in beating Manchester United, who fielded .... 3.  Both Newcastle goals were scored by British players.  I wish I could enjoy a Newcastle victory as I used to when they were admittedly more occasional instead of confining almost all my satisfaction to the fact that Fergie Time lost.

As for the above quote, which passed me by a year ago, it is quite possible to deplore the level of trade with the Saudi regime, including the arms trade AND their takeover of Newcastle United.  There need be no conflict of interests over that and nobody has ever suggested that Newcastle fans are any smarter than any others (except for myself, of course).  You might expect most of them to think that, because the alternative is too much for them to bear, even if they cared.  They are famous for their loyalty, not their wisdom - or their (un)dress sense.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 02 April, 2023, 10:33:02 pm »
Don’t forget the bellies.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2023, 11:55:01 am »
or their (un)dress sense.  applies!