Author Topic: Music for your funeral  (Read 10790 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Music for your funeral
« on: 23 March, 2022, 08:58:04 pm »
I got to thinking about this as my dad chose his own (we're now sure how long ago he wrote it down, as he was pretty sure he was getting out of hospital, but he'd planned the whole service).   Crematoria will play anything these days and a neighbour had Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London as his going-out music  ;D

What three pieces would you pick for your own?  Something to come in, something contemplative, and something to go out to?  I had a really good think about this...

1. Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante K.364 2nd movement (Andante)
2. "Non mi dir, bell'idol mio" from Mozart's Don Giovanni
3. "Take Me Home (Piss Off)" by Snuff.  Fits absolutely perfectly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Music for your funeral
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:04:02 pm »
Very difficult one for me because I've got such broad tastes. There would have to be Bach, and probably Mozart, and how could I possibly do without Beethoven's 9th? Although the funeral march from the 3rd symphony is as lugubrious a piece of music you are ever likely to hear. Having said that, when I first became familiar with it when I was in my teens, I could help thinking that the solitary thud from the timpani towards the end of that movement was the corpse not being quite dead and knocking to be let out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:15:58 pm »
I reckon several pre-planned playlists to be selected according to the cause of your death is the way to go...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:17:54 pm »
I don't care, I won't be there. And I'd be quite happy for any remaining relatives (in the event there are any) to save their money and not bother.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:19:34 pm »
A juke box and people can play whatever they want.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:21:35 pm »
No going either, so they can listen to Alvin and Chipmunks back-to-back with the Cheeky Girls. I genuinely don't do funerals and I am definitely not doing mine.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:23:18 pm »

The pub then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:30:23 pm »
In the car on the way home from Granny Annie's* funeral the Cubs and I discussed this. They went (pre-covid) and hopefully one day will again go to enough gigs with me to know what I like so they have plenty to pick from and we talked about the fact that even if I say what I want, at the end of the day it will be up to them to do what they think is best.

The celebrant for Granny's, and later Grandad's**, funerals had suggested it is good to pick something 'uplifting' for the exit music at the end. So the SmallestCub has picked out 'Buck Up' by Carsie Blanton for me.
https://youtu.be/d89fe_p4gX4

*Satisfied Mind - Jeff Buckley, Nocturne in E flat - Chopin, Underneath the Stars - Kate Rusby, Days of Our Lives - Queen
**Pie Jesu - Sarah Brightman, Little Boxes - Pete Seeger, Broken Wave - James Yorkston, Fareweel Regality - Rachel Unthank & The Winterset

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:32:29 pm »

The pub then?

Krakatoa - the best juke box known to mankind.

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:40:43 pm »
Disco inferno? I wonder if it's a popular choice

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:42:11 pm »
Hmm, just three pieces is difficult! Right now, I think I'd go for:

1. Allegri - Miserere
2. Bach - Chaconne from the Partita in D Minor
3. Nine Inch Nails - A Warm Place

Though I'd be tempted to stick something a bit more upbeat in there - maybe Snap's "Rhythm is a Dancer". ;D

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:44:50 pm »

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:05:14 pm »
Hmm, just three pieces is difficult!

We went for four when we were planning mum's and dad's funerals. Both were covid-time funerals (spring/early summer of '21) in the bit when you weren't allowed to sing so we didn't have to think about that, and we'd picked the crem where you were allowed 45 minutes for the service, rather than the one that let you have 18.

Little Boxes - which mum and dad used to sing in the car as we passed Peterlee on every childhood trip north - served as a much-needed break in the eulogy for dad; it ended up so long it needed an intermission. When I said that was the plan to a primary school colleague, she joked that maybe we should serve tiny and ludicrously over-priced ice creams to go with it, then looked horrified that she'd made the joke out loud and potentially upset me. I may have snorted unattractively with laughter and pointed out that after 15 years of working with me, she'd not misjudged my sense of humour.

« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:13:30 pm »
If I had to be serious, I think I'd like music that was beautiful and optimistic, uplifting and forward looking. I'd start with Michael Nyman's Piano, I'd have an opera duet like The Flower Duet (and I don't care if it's hackneyed, it's still good) with soaring, joyful voices and, if I can't have Disco Inferno or Springteen's I'm on fire,  I think Lark Ascending would be where I'd end up, fading to the memory of a new spring.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2022, 10:51:51 pm »
In - The Passion of Lovers or Bela Lugosi’s Dead
Think - Oh Superman
Out - There’s No Lights On The Christmas Tree Mother, They’re  Burning Big Louie Tonight

That should piss just about everybody off.

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2022, 11:12:21 pm »
Oh Superman, original or Bowie cover?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:49:46 am »
  • In: Thunderstruck ~ AC/DC.  Just because.
  • Contemplative: Ride Into The Sun ~ The Velvet Underground.  The instrumental version off “Another View”, not any of the terrible remixes or - horrible dictu - any version with vocals.  On it.
  • Out: Dopesmoker ~ Sleep.  Just in case anyone is thinking of sloping off early.  Yes, it is only one track…

I'm sure I'll think of some more later
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2022, 07:56:08 am »
I'm pretty relaxed about music choices in church, anything that helps people remember their loved ones well, and say goodbye meaningfully. We've had Juice WRLD for a teenager whose friends wanted something to say how they felt. We had death metal for a couple whose newborn died - it expressed their lament well. I don't mind the classic Monty Python tune but I advise against the rude original for those who haven't thought of the implications. Basically so long as it isn't anti-Christian because otherwise why are they paying for a church funeral.

I've known what I'd like for quite a while:

* Organ music in... important so the priest can read Psalm 23 and the "comforting words"... people miss out on that these days due to songs with words.
* A hymn... so people can sing and interact with the service, feel part of the event rather than just an observer. (Something the organist can play well)
* In the middle, a chance to listen to the whole of "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd. The funeral director faded it out at my father-in-laws service.
* Going out? Easy: "You're wondering now" but definitely the Snuff cover version because it's fast and fun.

Burial... so no need for tunes at the crematorium.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2022, 08:55:48 am »
Oh Superman, original or Bowie cover?

Original.

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2022, 08:58:34 am »
All chosen -

When entering - Who Knows Where the Time Goes - by Sandy Denny
As coffin disappears - Erthe upon Erthe  - by Mediaeval Baebes
Leaving - Don't Look Around - by Mountain, because of the opening lines "Don't look around 'cos I'm never coming back, it's high time you saw the last of me".

« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:09:21 am »

« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:12:07 am »
Initial Procession: National Shite Day by Half Man Half Biscuit
Assuming it's a cremation: Hot, Hot, Hot! by Buster Poindexter
Exit music: Don't Leave Me This Way by the Communards

I don't intend topping myself, but a few choices if I go doolally:Hanging Around by the Stranglers; Shotgun by George Ezra; Drowning in Berlin by The Mobiles.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:35:38 am »

I don't intend topping myself, but a few choices if I go doolally:Hanging Around by the Stranglers; Shotgun by George Ezra; Drowning in Berlin by The Mobiles.

You missed out Jump! by Van Halen
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:38:19 am »

You missed out Jump! by Van Halen

Also Poison by Motörhead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:43:33 am »
There's also The Coroner's Footnote by Half Man Half Biscuit...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.