Author Topic: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own  (Read 24036 times)

Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Reply #50 on: 05 August, 2022, 03:02:18 pm »
I hired my tracker through TrackTrail and didn't get the option of a 7-day device.

Got this e-mail from them the other day -

"There are two different sized trackers. The smaller one has a shorter battery life of 3 days. Unless you will complete the route in under that time, we advise you to pick up a MINI-USB cable from us to charge it when you rest.  The larger device has a 5-day battery, so should be sufficient to last without charging it as long as you place it carefully."

« Reply #51 on: 05 August, 2022, 03:07:30 pm »
In some controls, you will have a very limited access to mains sockets , so don't count on that!

A

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #52 on: 05 August, 2022, 03:52:25 pm »
In some controls, you will have a very limited access to mains sockets , so don't count on that!

A
But surely people will be carrying a powerbank to recharge GPS devices/phone/di2? I imagine the tracker chip doesn't need much to be topped up.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #53 on: 05 August, 2022, 04:24:34 pm »
Just fitted an Igaro D2 with SON + Edelux headlamp to top up powerbank, anything to be aware of, do I just connect the USB-C cable and pedal down the road, disconnecting the battery (leaving the cable attached to the unit) when running the headlamp?

« Reply #54 on: 05 August, 2022, 04:53:42 pm »
LEL veterans, I'm sure I've read this somewhere but cannot find it, but what is the situation with cycling shoes at checkpoints? Do you have to remove them? Even if they have recessed cleat?

Do people tend to carry a pair of flip-flops or equiv? I've done enough events to know I don't want to stand in a well used toilet in a pair of socks.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #55 on: 05 August, 2022, 05:13:22 pm »
Last edition you took your shoes off in most controls. Didn't get wet feet, either the cleaning crews were top notch or randonneurs aim true even when tired

« Reply #56 on: 05 August, 2022, 05:39:23 pm »
I think we’re all going to be given a pair of disposable overshoe things in our registration packs to wear at controls.

« Reply #57 on: 05 August, 2022, 05:51:01 pm »
I brought a pair of barefeet shoes to wear at the controls. If they're not needed, they are going straight in the drop bag.

And slightly related to LEL: today's ride from the boat to the vicinity of Debden was a lot better than expected. Wholely in Essex, I expected endless suburbs and homicidal drivers, but I got quiet lines and equally quiet villages instead.

« Reply #58 on: 05 August, 2022, 06:52:35 pm »
I think a lot of the controls have floor surfaces that could be damaged by cleats.  (eg Village halls, community centres, schools) so it is likely that if you're wearing those sort of shoes might need to leave them at the entrance.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #59 on: 05 August, 2022, 07:10:23 pm »
I was volunteering at Spalding last time and my recollection is that all riders without exception had to remove their shoes. This saved arguments about different cleat types, and also meant there was no chance of wet floors and the associated slip hazards. I don't know yet what the rule will be at Boston, cos I'm not there yet!
The rule is mainly around damage to the floors of the host venue as I understand it.
Riders will be given overshoes at Debden this time, and it's my understanding that overshoes will be available at each control.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #60 on: 05 August, 2022, 07:27:30 pm »
We want to be allowed back to these venues, so assume that its shoes off in all with no time wasted arguing about whether your brand of cleats are recessed, covered by a rubber shield, etc.

I can only speak for Easton in 2017 but they were well aware of the need for device charging and so provided a large number of USB charger ports. But bring your own leads.

« Reply #61 on: 05 August, 2022, 08:33:37 pm »
I think a lot of the controls have floor surfaces that could be damaged by cleats.  (eg Village halls, community centres, schools) so it is likely that if you're wearing those sort of shoes might need to leave them at the entrance.

This^^ is the main reason. Another reason is that cleated cycling shoes are extremely slippery on hard and wet floors. We don't want you to break your leg in the control. Well, we don't want you to break your leg anywhere.

A

« Reply #62 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:27:19 pm »

This^^ is the main reason. Another reason is that cleated cycling shoes are extremely slippery on hard and wet floors. We don't want you to break your leg in the control. Well, we don't want you to break your leg anywhere.

A

I do understand the orgs worries but some of us choose recessed SPD shoes. They have rubber contact areas, in fact full and flat not MTB style treads and they are a lot safe for me than sliding around in socks. They are also designed and used to cope with beer affecting the balance and co-ordination of the wearer.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #63 on: 05 August, 2022, 10:23:23 pm »
When someone offers you hospitality in their place and asks you to remove your shoes I would consider it rather rude not to comply.

(other than the practical reasons given)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #64 on: 06 August, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »

I do understand the orgs worries but some of us choose recessed SPD shoes. They have rubber contact areas, in fact full and flat not MTB style treads and they are a lot safe for me than sliding around in socks. They are also designed and used to cope with beer affecting the balance and co-ordination of the wearer.

SPD shoes - which I prefer too - can still arrive at a control wet, dirty, muddy etc. Anyone who has ridden LEL can confirm this. They then leave a trail of muck, which is one more thing for the volunteers to clean up.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #65 on: 06 August, 2022, 02:17:49 pm »

SPD shoes - which I prefer too - can still arrive at a control wet, dirty, muddy etc. Anyone who has ridden LEL can confirm this. They then leave a trail of muck, which is one more thing for the volunteers to clean up.
I agree with that as well, I was only challenging the second of A's reasons - rider safety. The only time I'm at danger/neen nearly killed  wearing cycling shoes involves a noisy polluting 4 wheel weapon (I know I shouldn't get pollitical). Damage to and mess on floors comes under the "I understand the orgs worries" bit. TBH when the brains working the shoes come off anyway on this sort of distance.

« Reply #66 on: 06 August, 2022, 02:35:54 pm »
Registration done and back home. Will attach frame card, pump up tyres, and repopulate seat bag a bit later today.

« Reply #67 on: 06 August, 2022, 03:25:59 pm »
So registration was fast and efficient both getting there and at the control which was very good. 3.5 hours out and back to Cambridge using bike/train to Cheshunt. Problem is due to lack of a strike, engineering work is closing the line between Bishops Strortford and Waltham Cross tomorrow with bus repalcement which looks slower that just cycling even if it could be used.

Its either Great Northern to Cuffley then 12 mile trip to Loughton or 20 miles from Stortford to Loughton avoiding Hatfield or just do an  ECE which is 50miles so 3 hours. Train to Cuffley + 12 miles will be about 2:30 and train to Bishops Stortford +20 (or 17 via Hatfield) is about 2 hour. Its is all about getting up as late as possible.

« Reply #68 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:10:31 pm »
It was indeed fast and efficient EXCEPT I've just got home and noticed the 'Added to Start Line' registration box is not ticked.

1. Registered - ID checked, signed my registration form. Given drop bag, brevet card etc.
2. Got given a bottle, pen and food vouchers
3. Packed and sealed drop bag
4. Dropped bag at marquee

Did I miss a step somewhere?

This kind of worrying probably says a lot about my current level of anxiety.

« Reply #69 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:15:24 pm »
Registered smoothly. Had to queue at three of the four potential queues. But only behind a single person each time.

Slight hiccup in one of my drop bags being the wrong one/colour (but the ticket being right), soon corrected by stuffing the whole lot in a correct bag.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #70 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:20:38 pm »
It was indeed fast and efficient EXCEPT I've just got home and noticed the 'Added to Start Line' registration box is not ticked.

1. Registered - ID checked, signed my registration form. Given drop bag, brevet card etc.

Spent a couple of hours doing registration and no-one mentioned doing anything with the “Added to Start Line” box to me so I think you’re OK.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #71 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:27:53 pm »
I'd assumed you were Custodian of The Pass, ready to pounce on imposters and ner do wells attemptig to gain access to the Dank Pass of Doom leading to the registration point...

« Reply #72 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:37:32 pm »

Last time you were scanned at registration, which added you to the start list. I’d think there’ll  be someone batching up the forms you’ve signed, and busy logging it on a laptop somewhere.   I was directed straight from registration to the exit door and get your water bottle.   There’s no extra step for riders that I could see in there.

Of course they will also log when you enter your start pen.  To ensure you start at the correct time. That may be when you get added to the start list.  In 2017 we also scanned when you entered the start pen, no sneaking off early.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #73 on: 06 August, 2022, 04:41:28 pm »
I'd assumed you were Custodian of The Pass, ready to pounce on imposters and ner do wells attemptig to gain access to the Dank Pass of Doom leading to the registration point...

I was, but Olaf promoted me to Fetcher of Plastic Bags and Examiner of ID.  Tomorrow I shall be even higher up the food chain :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #74 on: 06 August, 2022, 05:16:42 pm »
Anywhere in particular I am supposed to fix my number badge?

Is frame OK, or does it need to go on handlebars?

Eddington  127miles, 170km