Author Topic: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own  (Read 24405 times)

Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Reply #75 on: 06 August, 2022, 05:31:06 pm »
Anywhere in particular I am supposed to fix my number badge?

Is frame OK, or does it need to go on handlebars?

I was wondering the same so did a scan through the LEL video and noticed people had them all over the place. I fixed mine on the top tube where it joins head tube (so nestled between top tube, head tube and down tube.

« Reply #76 on: 06 August, 2022, 05:51:20 pm »
engineering work is closing the line between Bishops Strortford and Waltham Cross tomorrow with bus repalcement which looks slower that just cycling even if it could be used.

I’m in the same boat :( I’m planning to get the train from Audley end to Stortford then cycling from there, so not much of a lie in for me :'( I’ll probably be awake early anyway though with the excitement…

« Reply #77 on: 06 August, 2022, 05:55:42 pm »
Fix your frame card wherever it works on your bike and won’t get annoying.  On my recumbent it’ll likely go at the back. I’m waiting for sun to move round before I get bike out and decide where to fix it.

It’s nice if you attach it where other riders can see as they pass.

« Reply #78 on: 06 August, 2022, 06:23:24 pm »
engineering work is closing the line between Bishops Strortford and Waltham Cross tomorrow with bus repalcement which looks slower that just cycling even if it could be used.

I’m in the same boat :( I’m planning to get the train from Audley end to Stortford then cycling from there, so not much of a lie in for me :'( I’ll probably be awake early anyway though with the excitement…

Don’t know which way you are coming. But tomorrow you could get a Thameslink Cambridge to Stevenage,  then the train from Stevenage to Gordon Hill (near Waltham Cross), then it’s 16km ride to start.

The train journey is 1 hour 32 min elapsed , with 20 mins at Stevenage to get on the correct platform.   

You’ll come into Stevenage on platform 1 or 2, trains to Gordon Hill are either platform 1 (if Thameslink) or platform 5 (if great northern).   Platform 1/2 has a lift you’ll fit your recumbent in.  The lifts are north of the steps, north being the direction the train arrived from. Lift doors facing north. Platform 5 is new and I’m not sure if it has a lift as I’ve not been on it with my bike. From platform 1/2 lift go left and ignore ticket barriers directly in front of you, and after ticket machines, take the steps down to left and before exiting station cover. You might need to carry your loaded bike down a couple of flights of steps. Ticket barriers at bottom but usually station staff to open the wide gate, though your ticket should do the job.

Edit - New platform 5 has a lift

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #79 on: 06 August, 2022, 06:36:19 pm »

I was wondering the same so did a scan through the LEL video and noticed people had them all over the place. I fixed mine on the top tube where it joins head tube (so nestled between top tube, head tube and down tube.

Gone for same except it can't be between the tubes,  because my frame pump is there. Cable ties not long enough for downtube or headtube, but 2 seem OK.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #80 on: 06 August, 2022, 06:48:29 pm »
I'd assumed you were Custodian of The Pass, ready to pounce on imposters and ner do wells attemptig to gain access to the Dank Pass of Doom leading to the registration point...

I was, but Olaf promoted me to Fetcher of Plastic Bags and Examiner of ID.  Tomorrow I shall be even higher up the food chain :thumbsup:
Fetcher of Plasic Bags!

If you work hard, perhaps some day you can have a plastic bag all of your own!

« Reply #81 on: 06 August, 2022, 06:54:08 pm »

Gone for same except it can't be between the tubes,  because my frame pump is there. Cable ties not long enough for downtube or headtube, but 2 seem OK.

If you have a carradice saddle bag it’ll quite happily attach there.

« Reply #82 on: 06 August, 2022, 07:03:24 pm »

Don’t know which way you are coming. But tomorrow you could get a Thameslink Cambridge to Stevenage,  then the train from Stevenage to Gordon Hill (near Waltham Cross), then it’s 16km ride to start.

The train journey is 1 hour 32 min elapsed , with 20 mins at Stevenage to get on the correct platform.   

Thanks Phil - I’ll have a look at that  :thumbsup:

« Reply #83 on: 06 August, 2022, 09:28:13 pm »
[

You’ll come into Stevenage on platform 1 or 2, trains to Gordon Hill are either platform 1 (if Thameslink) or platform 5 (if great northern).   Platform 1/2 has a lift you’ll fit your recumbent in.  The lifts are north of the steps, north being the direction the train arrived from. Lift doors facing north. Platform 5 is new and I’m not sure if it has a lift as I’ve not been on it with my bike. From platform 1/2 lift go left and ignore ticket barriers directly in front of you, and after ticket machines, take the steps down to left and before exiting station cover. You might need to carry your loaded bike down a couple of flights of steps. Ticket barriers at bottom but usually station staff to open the wide gate, though your ticket should do the job.

Edit - New platform 5 has a lift

Yes thats two stops after my Cuffley proposal. I prefer Cuffley as it has a good route to Cheshunt and then my normal Waltham Abbey route, or slightly south via Waltham Cross. From Gordon Hill it looks like you've got to navigate Enfield and the less than Great Cambridge road. It's probably slower although there looks like good cycleways once the Lea is reached. I've never used the lifts at Stevenage, always run up/down the steps with the bike on the shoulder.

« Reply #84 on: 06 August, 2022, 10:33:03 pm »
It was indeed fast and efficient EXCEPT I've just got home and noticed the 'Added to Start Line' registration box is not ticked.

1. Registered - ID checked, signed my registration form. Given drop bag, brevet card etc.
2. Got given a bottle, pen and food vouchers
3. Packed and sealed drop bag
4. Dropped bag at marquee

Did I miss a step somewhere?

This kind of worrying probably says a lot about my current level of anxiety.

Don't worry, we autoregistered everyone and then unregistered the no-shows this evening. Genius hack from the controller.

« Reply #85 on: 06 August, 2022, 10:39:46 pm »
That was easily the most relaxed, sunniest and happiest registration I have ever been involved with. Tim organised it superbly. 360 no shows though!

« Reply #86 on: 07 August, 2022, 08:14:15 am »
The tracker shows the first group has arrived at the first control. About ten minutes ahead of opening time by my reckoning.I hope they made them wait for their stamps.  It isn't a race you know ;)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #87 on: 07 August, 2022, 01:53:35 pm »
That was easily the most relaxed, sunniest and happiest registration I have ever been involved with. Tim organised it superbly. 360 no shows though!

If nothing else (and there are many things to praise), it's a great credit to Alwyn, Fidgetbuzz and all of the helpers at the start that this has gone so smoothly at each of the past three LELs.  Those of us who rode in 2009 will remember what a complete shambles the registration was then and perhaps note the other improvements along the way (e.g. controls that have both male and female showers!)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #88 on: 07 August, 2022, 03:26:44 pm »
First rider reached Hessle about 10 minutes before we officially opened :jurek:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #89 on: 07 August, 2022, 05:40:22 pm »

If nothing else (and there are many things to praise), it's a great credit to Alwyn, Fidgetbuzz and all of the helpers at the start that this has gone so smoothly at each of the past three LELs.  Those of us who rode in 2009 will remember what a complete shambles the registration was then and perhaps note the other improvements along the way (e.g. controls that have both male and female showers!)

Some of us who didn't ride in 2009 are still traumatised by the experience! Not the registration so much as much else...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #90 on: 07 August, 2022, 05:46:05 pm »
I'm gutted for the Milanese rider whose bike in its case never arrived and is a DNS...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #91 on: 08 August, 2022, 02:32:54 am »
Feanor in Hessle about 15 minutes ago.

« Reply #92 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:03:49 am »
There’s a guy on Twitter calling the controls “CP2” and “CP4” and so on like it’s the TCR. I haven’t decided if it’s cute or grounds for a DQ.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:12:16 am »
Not the first time I've heard those designations in audaxes, by a long way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #94 on: 08 August, 2022, 12:06:08 pm »
Not the first time I've heard those designations in audaxes, by a long way.

I've always called them CP1, CP2 etc...

Perhaps cos I started audaxing after I first was a dotwatcher. Perhaps cos I am in .NL rather than .UK.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #95 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:23:56 pm »
Apologies to whoever it was in the green YACF jersey who arrived at Hessle around 6 this morning for not ascertaining your identity.  This is because my head-branez had stopped working.

Also apologies to Postie for only catching a fleeting glimpse of him as he was leaving and therefore being unable to make withering comments along the lines of “there goes the neighbourhood”.

« Reply #96 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:01:36 am »
I'd assumed you were Custodian of The Pass, ready to pounce on imposters and ner do wells attemptig to gain access to the Dank Pass of Doom leading to the registration point...
No, those guardians were Sunny and Ryan.

« Reply #97 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:11:37 am »
Oh is that who organised registration. Well done Tim! ;)
I was amazed how little queuing there was, throughout the day. It maxed out at maybe 10. So sad to see so many DNSs. Besides the totally embarassing (to UK) visa debacle, I wonder why.

« Reply #98 on: 10 August, 2022, 12:21:11 am »
There’s a guy on Twitter calling the controls “CP2” and “CP4” and so on like it’s the TCR. I haven’t decided if it’s cute or grounds for a DQ.
:sick:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #99 on: 10 August, 2022, 09:51:43 am »
Just had a brief chat with Ashaman42 otp. DNF but making his own way back to That London.