Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 3532 times)

Strawberries
« on: 30 May, 2022, 09:09:22 pm »
What are folks using these days to keep strawberries off the ground and stop them going mouldy?
I don't think any of our neighbouring hill farmers use small bales of straw any more.
Thanks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2022, 10:47:45 pm »
Polytunnels and tables

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2022, 07:39:23 am »
Ours are on the ground, growing through holes in weed control fabric.
It looks like a poor crop this year
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2022, 01:51:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Polytunnels and tables
Yes, one batch are in a tunnel, but in raised beds. I probably need to ventilate the tunnel more - it's a lot smaller than the one I used to have.

weed control fabric
That would be a good idea if I was planting from scratch, but a fiddly job to fit round existing plants (I did it last year). And if I cut ground cover material it does tend to shed little bits of plastic everwhere - I'd like to avoid that.

Edd

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2022, 02:22:33 pm »
We're trying strips of cardboard this year, as recommended to me. Only put some down last night so can't let you know how it goes yet

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2022, 05:16:18 pm »
Dangle over the edge of a raised bed
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2022, 01:31:44 pm »
Ours are on the ground, growing through holes in weed control fabric
When I first read this I was thinking about the woven fabric, like mypex, which shreds. Then I realised you probably meant the non-woven material, like plantex. I didn't want to cut from our big roll, as we have more paths to construct, so I had a rummage in the "too good to throw out" section, and found some planting bags left over after setting up our pond about 20 years ago! Spent this morning cutting them up and tucking the material under the plants and fruits. Looks promising.