Author Topic: Cyclemans York potter  (Read 1825 times)

Cyclemans York potter
« on: 14 June, 2022, 06:23:18 pm »
Yesterday I left slough at 10.00am managed to get just passed long Hanslope finding a nice sheltered field entrance to setup the bivvy about 9.30 pm . I  met a local cyclist while leaving stony Stratford. Nice to meet you Philip if you're reading this. I slept fairly well and got up at 5.30 am. I got to Northampton about 7.⁰0 am and found a  cafe for breakfast. I set off from Northampton about 8.00am and was soon trundling along the Bampton cycleway.  I got to m Harborough Around  1.30 am and  had a
excellent ham Salad sandwich, coffee
and a generous slice of chocolate banana bread 😋. I spent this afternoon crawling along the b road to Melton Mowbray where I  stopped and refuelling in macdonalds (oh the shame).
I will  potter  onwards for a few more miles before looking for the next bivvy spot.
I  have found the  b road from m Harborough hard  going and  some drivers have achieved risky overtakes . Quite a pretty ride though and the sunshine was very pleasant 😊

the slower you go the more you see

Re: Cyclemans York potter
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2022, 10:21:19 pm »
And I have got as far as Belvoir and I am bivving in a field gate entrance with a view of the cricket field. Thanks road runner, all is going well so far. Even the weather  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:17:17 am »
Now in Newark-on-Trent and just had breakfast 😋. I'm about head north where there be dragons 😉

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2022, 04:34:34 pm »
Stopped for a half pint of real ale at Rampton  :)

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2022, 06:47:54 pm »
And I am in York  :thumbsup:, a day early 😮. How did that happen  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2022, 09:58:49 pm »
And I've found a good bivvy spot 😴

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2022, 11:54:24 pm »
Brilliant! You made good progress there. See you tomorrow if they haven't arrested you for vagrancy or something!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:15:53 am »
Brilliant! You made good progress there. See you tomorrow if they haven't arrested you for vagrancy or something!

The way things are going, he might get tarmaced.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:48:32 am »
I don't remember that speedbump..... ???

;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:26:48 am »
I don't remember that speedbump..... ???

;)

The world's first snoring speedbump!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:09:34 pm »
It's one of those mystical speed bumps such that when you ride over it something drops off your bike ...  😉

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2022, 02:06:13 pm »
Wot no return adventures?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2022, 03:29:36 pm »
Maybe Scottie beamed him up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2022, 08:57:57 pm »
Cycleman left the rally on his trike at about 8:40am yesterday (Monday) with an ETA for home of sometime on Thursday, presumably with limited electrons and Internet till then.

« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2022, 07:27:43 pm »
Now then, the return.
I had a later start from York than I invisiged .I woke up about 0400 but it felt quite cold so I rolled over and slept a while longer. I did get away by 0900 at pottered down the planets cycleway stopping to photograph the whole solar system. I was passed and caught up with and passed again by a trice trike and a touring bike. Entering Riccall I was passed by I think was lee w's velomobile which quickly disappeared ahead of me. I stopped in Selby and asked a local where I might find a cafe and they just stared at me until I gave up on them and found another informant. After I had refuelled I set off for goole via the sustrans route passed Hemingbrough  with it majestic spire and later crossing Boothby bridge. I picked up some supplies in goole and set off across the Isle of axholme .I managed to get a few miles to the south of west Burton power station bivving in a field entrance just passed Sturton le steeple😴.

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2022, 07:55:31 pm »
I was awake and away by 0530 and reached Newark around 1130 . On the approach to Newark Google maps cycle routing decided that the a1 was the best way to cycle. One look at the traffic and I decided that finding a lane's route would be a little safer . I stopped for brunch before setting off for Melton Mowbray. The riding was fairly easy until I got to Belvoir Castle and things got a little lumpy. It seemed to take ages before I arrived in Melton Mowbray which was  closed 🤔. It was just after 1730.I managed to find a newsagent open and got some water and biscuits. I decided to try and avoid the b road to market Harborough and followed ncn64 out off town. A fairly hilly 3 miles later I reached little Dalby where I found a 5 star audex  shelter. I stopped about 1930 and had a early night 😴

« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »
After a good sleep I awoke at 0400 and started about 0430 . I followed ncn64 towards Market Harborough. Its a very pretty but hilly route and therefore very slow progress for me. Where ncn64 crossed the b road between m Mowbray and m Harborough I followed the b road which was mainly downhill. I stopped at McDonald's just before m Harborough and had a coffee and a feed. I passed through m Harborough around 1130 and was through Northampton by 1530. Stony Stratford was passed by 1830. I got about a mile passed wing as the sun set. I stopped and attacked the supplies I'd bought and decided to attempt to get home without stopping to bivvy. I struggled up the hill from Chesham to Amersham, partway up which I spoke to a nice car driver/cyclist who was interested in the recumbent trike. My knees were beginning to get quite painful and I struggled to get up the last few hills. I got home at 0308 and by 0400 I was 😴 . Google maps says 105 miles so I have achieved a second imperial century this month  :o :) I will have to adjust the cleats on the sandals to see if I can reduce the knee pain which has settled down now.  All in all I have had a great trip and enjoyed meeting both forum members and other cyclists whom I have seen for quite a while  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 24 June, 2022, 09:57:08 pm »
Good stuff, though I'd say that 105 miles in a day is more of a trundle than a potter...   :thumbsup:

(Where's the dead BSO thread...)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:08:50 am »
105 miles is more than I rode in any of the days I spent there and back.  :thumbsup: (Surprisingly, the toughest day for me was the very last, a mere 40-odd miles from just north of Gloucester; almost flat. Might have been the constant headwind, might have been last day tiredness.) Was good to see you again cycleman, hope next time is with Apollo too!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:18:48 am »
I bet you slept well once back home. Nice pics.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2022, 06:26:14 pm »
I'll admit to sleeping on Thursday and felt better on Friday. Saturday my knees settled down and tomorrow I out pottering with bjorn notp 🙂