Author Topic: Glastonbury 2022  (Read 3092 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Glastonbury 2022
« on: 25 June, 2022, 10:34:30 pm »
Very much enjoyed watching Supergrass playing their golden oldies at Glasto. It's 27 years since I Should Coco came out, but it has aged very well indeed - even if it's a bit odd hearing middle-aged blokes singing "We are young, we run green..."

Absolutely knocks anything ever produced by the Gallagher idiots into a cocked hat. Really should have been Supergrass playing the main stage tonight instead of  Noel's High Flying Shite.

However, the real highlight of this year's Glasto so far has been black midi. Absolutely phenomenal. Well worth checking out.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej34mb/acts/arhvwh

And now it's time for Macca...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Glastonbury 2022
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:01:11 am »
Wife's got shingles so staying in tonight. I don't usually take any notice of Glasto but managed Khruangbin, Bonobo, Primal Scream and St. Vincent tonight. St. Vincent won. Black Midi will have to wait until tomorrow.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:02:00 am »
I watched a few songs of Macca, then remembered he is 80 and enjoyed it.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:36:01 am »
Wife's got shingles so staying in tonight. I don't usually take any notice of Glasto but managed Khruangbin, Bonobo, Primal Scream and St. Vincent tonight. St. Vincent won. Black Midi will have to wait until tomorrow.

Haven't seen Khruangbin or St Vincent yet but have heard good things about both. Also Confidence Man. Will try to catch up with all of those at some point. Saw some of Bonobo. Can manage without Primal Scream.

Squid were also excellent earlier. As were Wet Leg yesterday.

He's a great advert for being extremely wealthy. Enjoying his set though.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2022, 01:39:20 am »
I usually enjoy the televisial experience of Glastonbury,  but wasn't sure about Macca.
Hey. I really enjoyed the set.
Sing along a John brought a tear to the eye, and Grohl and Springsteen were good surprises.
Good stuff.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2022, 01:40:56 pm »
As a diehard Oasis fan, I thought it was unlikely to get better than the High Flying Birds set, but I'm also a diehard Beatles fan and so I was prepared to cut an 80yo Macca some slack.

It started well, but he insisted on playing some nonentity crap from recent years. But, as Noel put it, 'we're gonna play some crap you've never heard and don't give a shit about, but that's for me. Then we'll get to the real stuff.' Yep, fair comment. After 30 minutes, it got better and better. True, his voice isn't what it was -  its frailty was poignant on quiet numbers like 'Blackbird' - but he can still rock with real commitment, and his musicianship is still excellent. Bringing on Dave Grohl and The Boss were great moments, and the final hour or so was pure Glasto magic. You could wish he had a more natural interaction with the crowd (the Happy Birthday moment was cringeworthy), but overall that was one of the best two and a half hours I've spent in the shed in some years.

Other great moments have been Krauss and Plant, Billie (yes, she was that good), Wet Leg, St Vincent and a good few more. It's a shame there's no coverage of the Acoustic Stage.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2022, 07:30:35 pm »
Just been listening to Neil Tennant on the radio - apparently, the pet shop boys set tonight will be “all singles”. It’s going to be fucking awesome.

On the back of black midi’s set yesterday, I’ve bought a ticket to see them at Somerset house next month. That’s going to be unmissable.

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:39:19 pm »
Plant and Kraus were very good.
High Flying Birds were OK
Macca started slowly and then took off, but there again he's Paul Mccartney so he can do anything he wants really.
St Vincent was brilliant, it just builds and builds. My favourite that I have seen so far. Annie can really murder a guitar.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TimC

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:28:14 pm »
Had to turn Diana Ross off. Spectacular though she is visually, and amazing though her repertoire is, she really could have done with some autotune! Whether the monitoring was off, or she's knackered, or what, but she was painfully out of tune on the three songs I did manage to get through. Shame.

Others I caught up on: Roisin Murphy was reliably brilliant. How many costume changes?! Yungblud was fun. Jessie Ware was... very sparkly. Crowded House were surprisingly as expected (ie pretty good). Herbie Hancock was fantastic.

It's been a great Covid-inflicted festival in my shed, and there's loads of material to get through while I'm banged up. I just wish I could have been there!

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:40:50 pm »
Olivia Rodrigo and Lily Allen singing Fuck You.

That’s a classic Glastonbury moment right there.

Just been watching Self Esteem while waiting for the Pet Shop Boys. Bloody brilliant. So annoyed I passed up the opportunity to see her at a tiny venue in Margate last year.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:42:47 pm »
Yungblud was fun.

Not my kind of thing at all, musically, but you’ve got to admire anyone who puts that much energy into his performance.

TimC

« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2022, 10:22:48 pm »
Pet Shop Boys appear to have had their own Spinal Tap moment, with Chris Lowe 'unable' to make it on stage for the first couple of numbers! Neil rescued it beautifully.

TimC

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2022, 10:24:28 pm »
Olivia Rodrigo and Lily Allen singing Fuck You.

Looking forward to catching up on that. Love both of them.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2022, 04:34:15 pm »

I don't often recommend Twitter, but https://twitter.com/MissAHaddow/status/1540817182006837248 is comedy gold (though it's mostly how I feel posting a joke to yacf at the moment).

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2022, 05:52:51 pm »
Saw it this morning and chortled openly and loudly.

WRT Macca at Glastonbury, the pleasure seems to be almost entirely related to his age, and that his gig was, in essence, a stunt gig.

I don't object to him playing live, or indeed headlining Glastonbury, but his age doesn't make me like his music more. It just goes to show what being a near life-long multimillionaire from a young age, and a comparatively abstemious lifestyle does for your health.

For the rest of the festival, I had a bit of a cruise round iplayer and found most of it pretty dull.  Hasbeens hold little appeal for me, and this seems to have been the modus operandi for some time around headlining acts.  The fun is all the up and coming stuff either earlier, or on the smaller stages, but of course you had to be there, and I've not been there for 18 years.  I still watch it, and there is usually something appealing, but not this time around.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2022, 06:12:58 pm »
I confess I've not had a chance to watch any, but I shall, but I'm of the halcyon generation that remembers losing friends to the toilets, they'd go and that was generally the last anyone saw of them. There's probably a memorial somewhere. Happy times of five unwashed people crammed into a Renault 5 from Somerset to Edinburgh. Five people who'd tried not to shit for three days, on a diet that consisted heavily of beans and burgers. I suppose you could try recreating this at home, though I wouldn't advise. I guess waking up to the sound of Rolf Harris has lost its pizazz.

« Reply #16 on: 27 June, 2022, 06:19:05 pm »
I went 5 or 6 times, and for all but one of those I had a caravan with heated shower and flushing bog  ;D

ian

« Reply #17 on: 27 June, 2022, 06:58:46 pm »
We once staggered back to our tent, piled in and went to sleep.

About 30 minutes later we were woken up by the actual owners of that tent. I thought the sleeping bag smelled a lot nicer. And to be fair, our tent was next door, so I think points were in order for trying.

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:07:04 pm »
Glasto (and any other outdoor festival) isn't something that has ever remotely appealed to me.

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:14:59 pm »
Oh I don't know. The utter, utter madness and carnage of my Glastonbury experiences before and after the turn of the millennium appealed very much.  First time I went was at the behest of a relative (he with caravan) and I said I'd pop down on the Friday night,  hop over the fence if I could, but I'd only stay an evening and would drive home before 10pm.

I got home the following Wednesday.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »
It’s not been the same since they put up the gun towers to keep the hippies away :demon:

<== has never been to Glastonbury
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:54:47 pm »
On the two occasions that I organised the Solstice Ride (Glastonbury Tor to Stonehenge) we found ourselves in some conflict with some bods who were trying to stop us from cycling a long a particular road near to the festival site - they were frightened of gate crashers. The Will of the Cyclists was not to be denied.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:58:34 pm »
Glasto (and any other outdoor festival) isn't something that has ever remotely appealed to me.

This.

I like camping, and I like music.  But I don't like minging toilets, obnoxious drunk people, or having all my stuff stolen / trashed.  And Mud is best experienced in small doses within a reasonable mountain bicycling distance of a warm shower.

I'm also deeply unkeen on the horrendous amount of waste created by people using disposable stuff in the knowledge that it'll probably be stolen / trashed.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:16:03 pm »
I really enjoyed it then (this would have been early 1990s, think we went every year) – it was a bit more literally organic back then, back when people would knock down the fences to get in, and there was an element of delightful chaos to the proceedings, basically it was like WW1 but with fewer casualties. I was once chased by a group of people dressed as a fried breakfast.

The usual boring complaint from me now, it does look very commercial (though I'm too old for the original muddy version) – ee by gum it wasn't like that in my day. So these days, it's the TV for me. I'm not sure about all the people my age turning up. Youth is best lived when you're a youth.

The fields of rubbish at the end are grim and seem worse year on year. We at least used to take our crap home, tents weren't throwaway, they were for storing as a useful medium for mould growth.

« Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:29:01 pm »
On the two occasions that I organised the Solstice Ride (Glastonbury Tor to Stonehenge) we found ourselves in some conflict with some bods who were trying to stop us from cycling a long a particular road near to the festival site - they were frightened of gate crashers. The Will of the Cyclists was not to be denied.
I remember (one of those) ride(s).

If I'm to look into what the Class A menu has to offer, I want running water - hot and cold and a dry duvet. Not a breakfast of dysentery and mud.