Author Topic: The Giant's Tooth - 26th August  (Read 1145 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
The Giant's Tooth - 26th August
« on: 29 June, 2022, 10:32:39 pm »
Having had an audacious experience on the Brimstone, I have decided to break my rules against doing long and stupidly hilly events.  There's a few reasons:

1) I've enjoyed Will's events this year
2) Having got my SR series already, there's no pressure
3) As the Cambrian Series organiser, I know how stunning these roads are, especially the North Pembrokeshire Coast
4) I've ridden the Devils Staircase east to west on 6 Elenydds, the Cambrian 4D and Cambrian 4C and never west to east, so its about time I did.
5) It's an August bank holiday and so the weather will be dire enough to not worry about overnight accommodation
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: The Giant's Tooth - 26th August
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2022, 09:53:36 am »
Good call Colin.

I should be riding it this year too. It'll have to be a quick pack away and tidy of the start. New route through Brechfa Forest in the dark, and up The Rhigos at sunset should be fun  :demon:

For more details and entry click the image:

« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2022, 08:05:16 pm »
I've just reopened entries so if anyone is interested in busting a gut it looks like it's going to be a good weekend for it. You have till noon tomorrow to sign up. Tarka dal at the start, breakfast at Steve's and a carb boost at the finish included.

Unfortunately due to the Rhigos & Maerdy mountain road closures I've reverted to the 2019 route. Just as many hills so you won't be short changed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2022, 03:59:16 pm »
When your Garmin tells you there are 43 climbs on a ride you know you are in for something, especially as it missed out five or so in North Pembrokeshire.  There was more climbing in this than on the 600km Brimstone, although the first 170km to Carmarthen were relatively gentle.  The first night was cold and I struggled a bit, but once the sun came out the climbing legs, although by the time I got to do the mountain road from Tregaron to Abergeswyn (the Devil's Staircase in reverse) I probably should have checked for moss growing on the rims at the top of each climb.  Weather was great and the second night was warmer, for a route that went against the grain of the Welsh Valleys, and my pace went right down, finishing at 5am.  Struggled with the two sleepless nights but the terrain was brilliant as was Steve's breakfast at Never.  North Pembrokeshire is probably my favourite place to go cycling, but to add to it the mountain road, the military road in the Black Mountains, and the Welsh valleys, created a ride that will leave its mark in the memory.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2022, 03:16:51 pm »
Brevet card arrived back today.  Thank you!  Noticed that it took me 19 hours to do the 270k back from Steve's House, so would have been out of time if that section was an event in its own right.  No one overtook me on that part, so that just goes to show how hard the second half was.