Author Topic: More shitverts coming to TV  (Read 1283 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
More shitverts coming to TV
« on: 01 July, 2022, 07:01:13 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61997064

Mad Nad's in charge, so it will be as bad as you could imagine.

It's already at the stage where we record everything so we can skip them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: More shitverts coming to TV
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:36:24 am »
Indeed. Our Shitbox remote control even understands the verbal command “forward four* minutes” when watching recordings.

*other numbers available

Apparently it is because more people access content by streaming. Putting more adverts on live TV will, of course, make people watch less streaming and more live TV. They might even get to see Johnny Wilkinson scoring a match-winning headed wicket.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:21:22 am »
The frequency and length of advertising will be reassessed in light of evolving viewing habits and the rise of streaming services, Ofcom said.
Apparently it is because more people access content by streaming. Putting more adverts on live TV will, of course, make people watch less streaming and more live TV. They might even get to see Johnny Wilkinson scoring a match-winning headed wicket.
People are watching TV via streaming in part to avoid the adverts, so let's have more adverts. Hmmm...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:24:16 am »
Indeed. Our Shitbox remote control even understands the verbal command “forward four* minutes” when watching recordings.

*other numbers available

Whilst playing guitar for Dr. Feelgood...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:25:54 am »

*other numbers available

Whilst playing guitar for Dr. Feelgood...
In a chain of high-street shops...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:51:52 am »
This is just going to make commercial TV unwatchable.

I mean, even more unwatchable than it is already.

Ugh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:55:26 am »
Channels like Yesterday have some interesting* content but the adverts are depressing: funeral plans, cheap cremations, crappy collectors' coins and equity release.

*for men of a certain age
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:24:20 am »
I expect the shitverts during the live coverage of the TdF will be very similar and almost, though not quite, make me yearn for the camp-as-a-row-of-tents Money Supermarket ones.  There'll doubtless be trailers urging us to view the mating rituals of orange people too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:10:40 pm »
Do people still watch broadcast television?  Sports and waiting rooms, I suppose.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:36:05 pm »
This Unit tears itself away from the Babbage-Engine at 6 pip-emma on weekdays so as to:
  • Shout abuse at politicians on the BBC news, and
  • [“TMI” – The Invigilator], and
  • Roffle at TV's Krishnan Guru Murthy and Cathy Newman sticking the boot into Tories, senior coppers and other deserving parties
while scoffing me din-dins.

Sport on commercial channels is tricky, you need to start watching the recording so as to catch up with the live broadcast as close to the end as possible, but not so late that the recording stops before the actual programme does.  Which seems to happen three times a week with ITV4's TdF show.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:45:56 pm »
Do people still watch broadcast television?  Sports and waiting rooms, I suppose.

I think the only thing we watch is the TdF on the interweb and that has a lot of adverts. I wouldn't want to sit through them routinely (on US TV it was quite possible to click through 50 channels and hit the ad-break on each, but I think the current US regulation is 22 minutes of adverts per programmed hour).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2022, 04:49:31 pm »
I expect the shitverts during the live coverage of the TdF will be very similar […]

They are.

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2022, 05:41:48 pm »
I expect the shitverts during the live coverage of the TdF will be very similar and almost, though not quite, make me yearn for the camp-as-a-row-of-tents Money Supermarket ones.

But not so bad as to induce nostalga for G*C*mp*re shiverts?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:50:43 pm »
I expect the shitverts during the live coverage of the TdF will be very similar and almost, though not quite, make me yearn for the camp-as-a-row-of-tents Money Supermarket ones.

But not so bad as to induce nostalga for G*C*mp*re shiverts?

Soon you’ll be longing for the days when every ad break was heralded by a man with a very expensive watch wiggling his arse at you.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."