Author Topic: LAL  (Read 1698 times)

LAL
« on: 12 July, 2022, 08:30:13 am »
Anyone fancy riding from that London to Anglesey and back this week by any chance ?

felstedrider

Re: LAL
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:21:11 am »
Looks like a nice few days for it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:45:45 am »
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a bloke who was enthusing over his recent ride across Wales. "But" he said "don't bother with Anglesey. Avoid it. The whole island is full of manic drivers." This seems likely to be an exaggeration based on one or two unfortunate incidents, so enjoy!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2022, 10:16:21 am »
Anyone fancy riding from that London to Anglesey and back this week by any chance ?

I DNSed the TPBR which is currently happening, so I've signed up for this as a small consolation.

Looking like another trip to Wales where there's a chance of sunburn!

Also missed BCM this year and the route shares a small amount of DNA with it so I'm looking forward to the ride.

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2022, 11:15:41 am »

I DNSed the TPBR which is currently happening, so I've signed up for this as a small consolation.

Also missed BCM this year and the route shares a small amount of DNA with it so I'm looking forward to the ride.

TBPR?

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2022, 03:49:24 pm »

TBPR?

Not strictly an audax, work/life got in the way sadly... https://www.adventurebikeracing.com/threepeaksbikerace/

felstedrider

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2022, 10:55:25 pm »
That was epic in lots of ways.  Just got home after riding back across town to get the train.

I have now met GPS and robhyde.   

I’ll write something better up when I’ve resurfaced tomorrow.

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2022, 08:51:24 pm »
That was epic in lots of ways.  Just got home after riding back across town to get the train.

Good to meet you  !

Like you say - it was quite a ride huh ?!

« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2022, 11:56:22 am »

Good to meet you  !

Like you say - it was quite a ride huh ?!

Great riding with you both!

For the most part a cracking route, though I found very little to love about Anglesey.

Already planning my next trip to the mountain roads between Porthmadog and Welshpool, though I hated it at the time - was very glad of 30-32 gearing : )

Riding in the heat of Day 3 was fairly hard going, especially with an accidental 30km detour. :facepalm:

felstedrider

« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:19:05 pm »
I just wrote a summary and promptly lost it.   Not very functional today.

I'll have another go but it might have to wait until the morning.

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:27:07 am »
Did anyone else see the Red Arrows while riding through the Cotswolds?

Thought I'd maybe hallucinated it at the time but it turns out they were putting on a display for the Farnborough Airshow.

Another highlight was coming a few feet from with either a Hobby or a Buzzard in the early Worcestershire lanes, before it flew off with a rabbit in its beak.

Comparing this ride with Richard's other London Lands End ride, I would say I very slightly preferred this one, given the lower overall exposure to traffic. Last year in Cornwall was particularly bad having to deal with angry drivers, and apart from a few busy sections in Wales (generally unavoidable) and the approach to Welshpool (fairly grim) it wasn't too bad.