Author Topic: Electric assist tandem  (Read 4967 times)

Electric assist tandem
« on: 19 July, 2022, 03:19:07 pm »
We have had one on order for a while but supply shortages have meant that I’m looking at December before it’s available.  It’s a 85nm motor

I’ve been advised that some 70nm motors are available now.
We are an average weight couple who are really starting to struggle on climbs

I know zero about e bikes: would we be better off waiting on the 85 motor ?
Seems like that difference could be significant.   

Re: Electric assist tandem
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2022, 03:31:18 pm »
I also know zero about ecletric things but have you spoken to Ruth at JD?

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2022, 04:37:26 pm »
It’s Ruth who has given me this choice.   I’m talking to her tomorrow but wanted to hear if there are any opinions or experience out there.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2022, 05:33:28 pm »
A 21% reduction (in torque?) sounds like a fair drop for a tandem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2022, 01:40:33 pm »
We opted to wait till decemberish for the higher torque motor.   

I know you don’t normally run at max torque but the times you need it we’ll likely be very grateful for that extra bit.   

In general though, high torque through 11 speed transmission on a tandem doesn’t sound like a good recipe for chain and cassette longevity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2022, 01:45:19 pm »
11sp derailleur or hub gear? Either way, if it is a BB-motor, plan ahead for gear changes or your gears will be fairly short-lived.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2022, 03:13:21 pm »
Derailleur and BB motor.  Yes I like to keep things very nice and smooth esp on the tandem.    As much as I can anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:10:48 pm »
11sp derailleur or hub gear? Either way, if it is a BB-motor, plan ahead for gear changes or your gears will be fairly short-lived.

There's an argument for Di2 integrated with the ebike system on this basis, as the motor knows when to back off.

« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2022, 12:23:46 am »
We have had one on order for a while but supply shortages have meant that I’m looking at December

Feb 2023 now.

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2023, 03:23:18 pm »
The 17th of Feb to be precise  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2023, 08:53:59 pm »

« Reply #11 on: 19 February, 2023, 04:12:37 pm »
Nice looking bike.  Was intrigued by the water bottle under the stoker's bars then realised there's no bottle mount for the captain.  Enjoy and keep us posted on progress.

« Reply #12 on: 19 February, 2023, 05:45:19 pm »
A nice looking bike.

« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2023, 09:38:13 pm »

There's an argument for Di2 integrated with the ebike system on this basis, as the motor knows when to back off.

Its quite tricky because front and rear are not locked together.  I think this is standard on etandems with motor on the front. The front can freewheel independant to the rear, so we can get out of sync.

Mostly this happens over the top of a rise I'll ease off and my wife just keeps pedalling. ( ;D :thumbsup:) Even easing for a change seems to be enough to put you little out of sync.  Mostly this doesnt matter but it can start to feel pretty lumpy on steep climbs where we are both pushing hard.  We are still very much learning, my wife is an experienced stoker but not an experienced solo rider - she took my lead through feel in the pedals as to how much effort to push.

But on the strength of 2 runs, the motor is making a huge difference to how I feel at the end of a run. My knees are not shot, but we still get a work out.  Its much closer to a solo effort for me. 

I feel less need to conserve momentum over bad surfaces/through corners, so in that respect I think its probably safer, but it doesn't handle as nicely as our bob jackson orbit.

And it still rolls into the berlingo, wheels on and everything.  So far so good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2023, 11:10:46 pm »
Yes, I discovered that freewheeling 'feature' of the STEPS motor when I attempted to oil the chain on my friend's Shiny! New! e-bike.  Dirty fingers are a mild inconvenience compared to the cranks getting out of sync on a tandem though.  I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but it's not immediately obvious to me what it might be.