Author Topic: Camping tea maker  (Read 3692 times)

Camping tea maker
« on: 26 July, 2022, 09:01:08 pm »
There's loads of ways to make coffee in the wilds but not many for tea. MSR do a filter insert for their mug but it's plasticky and sized specifically for the MSR mug.  There's various presses for mugs and pots for coffee.  They could work for tea but I'm looking at a pressie for a tea lover that's a bit better.

Anyone got a good infuser for tea when out traveling and camping?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Camping tea maker
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:03:59 pm »
Are you looking for a way of making loose-leaf tea? If so, how about using one of those infusion percolating ball things?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:14:59 pm »
Are you looking for a way of making loose-leaf tea? If so, how about using one of those infusion percolating ball things?

Maybe the leaf I've used was too fine but found the reusable tea bag type things leak a lot of leaf.

I do have a very cheap camping kettle with a insert under the lid which could take leaf if kettle was full. Was sold by highlander but they are/were a generic brand same as gelert etc

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:17:54 pm »
Finum brewing basket is much the same as the MSR filter, but less than half the price. It is available in several sizes, so you could figure which one fits your mug. It is plastic, with a metal mesh, does that matter? It works fine and is pretty lightweight anyway.
https://www.finum.com/portfolio/brewing-basket-m/

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:17:32 pm »
Anyone got a good infuser for tea when out traveling and camping?
No, I have a strainer that probably cost a quid from Wilco's.  Unlike coffee you're not going to improve it by infusing it in some different way, best thing to do is give the tea space, constricting it in some fancy gadget hinders that. 
You could go for a pair of nestling cups with a strainer packed inside, brew in one (Preferably with a lid) strain to the other. But if they're a tea lover, what are they using now?  They've probably worked out how to achieve what they're looking for and may prefer to receive some really nice tea. 

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:21:33 pm »
I use something like this and I can’t see why it wouldn’t be fine for camping:

https://tearex.co.uk/products/tea-rex-reusable_infuser

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2022, 06:06:19 am »
I just drop a pinch of leaves into the bottom of a mug, they sink and I drink off the top, do the same at home
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2022, 06:46:13 am »
Not looking for a tea equipment of aeropress or French press just a compact strainer that'll give the tea space in the cuponce used.

It seems most are small cup sizes strainers or some 3d enclosed shape like those spherical strainers on a chain. Was wondering if there's anything better. Plus the ones I've bought before tend to fall apart a bit too soon for my liking. Something durable I suppose.

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:52:54 am »
I use a brew it stick. I have a grey on for tea and a black one for coffee. They are fine mesh so work better for tea leaves.

https://amzn.eu/d/2xKt9gq
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:17:25 am »

« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:08:42 pm »
I use something like this and I can’t see why it wouldn’t be fine for camping:

https://tearex.co.uk/products/tea-rex-reusable_infuser
+1. The one I have at home doesn't have the dinosaur, but it works well. Good idea to take one on camp.

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2022, 05:57:52 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2022, 06:15:05 pm »
PG have the marginal advantage that their pyramidal shape is slightly more compressible and compact than traditional square bags. This may or may not be reflected in the quality of tea.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2022, 06:22:36 pm »
PG have the marginal advantage that their pyramidal shape is slightly more compressible and compact than traditional square bags.
The USP of that is it gives the tea more space, though obviously not as much as leaving it out of a bag altogether.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2022, 04:17:59 pm »

That's amazing, what genius invented it?  :o

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2022, 10:21:54 pm »
I'm not a tea drinker but I like my coffee and usually make it by infusion (cafetière).  I have a very good insulated mug with an internal sleeve with a stainless steel filter on the bottom (so a cafetière without the central rod to push the filter down).  It is a bit bulky and heavy though and so these bucket/inner mug filters that people have posted are tickling my fancy.

Having recently discovered Aliexpress, I took a look there - they have loads of similar filters and many other types too that are marketed for tea-making and most of them are quite cheap (though lead times are long).

Here's a link to my search results (infuser strainer)

For example - this one is £1.29, free shipping

« Reply #16 on: 30 July, 2022, 11:01:30 pm »
That's pretty-much exactly what I have.

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #17 on: 30 July, 2022, 11:15:51 pm »
After some further browsing on AliExpress, I found this silicone infuser - have to say that I'm not keen.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2022, 04:33:31 pm »
Finum brewing basket is much the same as the MSR filter, but less than half the price. It is available in several sizes, so you could figure which one fits your mug. It is plastic, with a metal mesh, does that matter? It works fine and is pretty lightweight anyway.
https://www.finum.com/portfolio/brewing-basket-m/

I use one of these at home for Russian Caravan or Lapsang Souchong, as Mr Bait is an Assam man, so the teapot only gets Tipsy or Ceylon.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."