Author Topic: Cruising - advice please  (Read 922 times)

Cruising - advice please
« on: 28 July, 2022, 08:06:57 am »
No, not that sort of cruising. I have two weeks off in August and would like to take Mrs Scum on a cruise.
Any advice welcome as I have never done a cruise.

Mrs Scum does not cope well with hear, so I think the Mediterranean is out
A boutique cruise with educational lectures or historical trips would be welcome
Has to be wheelchair friendly

Ideally would be a boutique cruise departing from London or Southampton so we dont have to fly to the departure.

I have noted that prices seem reasonable.. but are jacked up if you want a cabin with an external window or balcony.
Also they offer 'packages' at 30 or 40 quid a day per person which include all drinks and tips. Is this a rip off?
Mrs Scum does not drink.

Somehow it seems like an industry calculated to get you interested in a low intial price then have plenty of add-ons.

Re: Cruising - advice please
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:44:18 am »
Not a great title but...

https://www.disabledholidays.com/search/accessible-cruises-l196/

A Baltic or Fjord cruise perhaps?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:51:06 pm »
I have noted that prices seem reasonable.. but are jacked up if you want a cabin with an external window or balcony.

I have never been on a cruise so can't really offer anything helpful, but my immediate reaction to this is sheer horror at the idea of a cabin without external windows. Sounds to me like the perfect conditions to induce seasickness. That said, I never suffer from seasickness - I famously once slept like a log through a very rough overnight channel crossing while the rest of my family were up all night chundering.

ETA: also, I could be talking complete rubbish - a quick google suggests more people have problems with seasickness with exterior cabins, which surprises me, but what do I know?

Somehow it seems like an industry calculated to get you interested in a low intial price then have plenty of add-ons.

Often the corollary to "prices seem reasonable" (see also: easyJet)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:29:35 am »
Acquaintance of mine (mid 50s) went on a Rhine cruise with her mum.  She commented it really wasn't for people our age.
Meanwhile, would a well planned train tour work better?
Or a couch tour?
Probably a bit late by now.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2022, 12:39:29 pm »
Between the seasickness and the covid you're likely to spend a lot of time in the cabin.  Being stuck on a ship full of rich old people doesn't sounds like much fun anyway, tbh.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2022, 12:49:20 pm »
Probably a good way to meet a rich old widow/er and set yourself on the road to becoming a rich young person.  ;D

Or a couch tour?
Sofa surfing?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.