Author Topic: Colmanwealth Games  (Read 4848 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Colmanwealth Games
« on: 01 August, 2022, 10:08:08 pm »
No thread yet. Well, there was other stuff going on, wasn't there?  I've not bothered so far, but due to Mrs B insisting on watching Netflix's worst, I repaired to the dining room telly to see what was on offer.
Wow! 3 on 3 basketball.  I didn't realise it was a thing.  But it's brilliant.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Colmanwealth Games
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:23:38 pm »
After weeks of watching some terrifyingly high banked seating being erected on the other side of the A38, its purpose was made clear this evening:  As I came round the corner at the end of my ride home from loitering within tent at Watlington, the crowd which had been assembled in my absence erupted into cheering and applause.

This made me giggle, and I completely forgot to do a couple of laps of the block to make the 159.99 km ride up to the imperial 100.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:47:34 pm »
I love the bull. Does anybody know who made it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:51:39 pm »

Made in Scotland from girders, apparently.

I think it's ridiculous, but I'll probably nip into town at some point this week and have a look at it in the, erm, metal.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:57:09 pm »

Apparently it was built from recycled scrap and will be scrapped/recycled at the end of the games.   Seems a shame.
Apparently the telehandler that drives it is hired, so unless you want K&B to pay even more council tax, it has to go.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:09:35 am »

Made in Scotland from girders, apparently.

I think it's ridiculous, but I'll probably nip into town at some point this week and have a look at it in the, erm, metal.

According to #1 son the librarian,  it is currently in St Henry Square Centenary Square, outside the library.

We need selfies, Kim.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2022, 06:43:42 pm »
Here it is:

It seems a lot smaller in real life.  There's also rather a lot of security, so I don't rate the chances for BloodyStudents placing a traffic cone or two on the horns before they take it away.

(click to show/hide)

I feel compelled to reiterate that they've somehow chosen official Games colours that look like they've been left next to the Aston Expressway for six months.  It's like they're pre-drabbed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:01:42 pm »
"Pre-drabbed." What a wonderful expression. It's most of Birmingham, isn't it? Most of Britain even!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:42:20 pm »
I was looking for a thread the other day and couldn't believe there wasn't one to celebrate Laura Kenny's ride [maybe there was one but I couldn't locate it.].
And yes, I could have started one myself if I was that bothered about it.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/commonwealth-games/62384933

But, this interview was just so brilliant. She just lays it all bare. She's an inspiration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/commonwealth-games/62384936
Garry Broad

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:21:56 pm »
Yes, superb.  Thanks fir the interview link. I hadn't seen that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:33:04 pm »
Here it is:

It seems a lot smaller in real life.  There's also rather a lot of security, so I don't rate the chances for BloodyStudents placing a traffic cone or two on the horns before they take it away.

(click to show/hide)

I feel compelled to reiterate that they've somehow chosen official Games colours that look like they've been left next to the Aston Expressway for six months.  It's like they're pre-drabbed.

The posterised sky is so Birmingham.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:58:55 pm »
The posterised sky is so Birmingham.

:D

Not quite sure how that happened, I'm guessing half-arsed use of imagemagick for scaling HDR images by my ancient photo gallery software.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:39:22 am »
We're off to Brum today for the highlight of the games - viewing the Bull in the city centre  :thumbsup:   (Should of gone yesterday but some gits nicked all the signal cables at Tyseley so no trains from SuA  :( )

UPDATE:  Bull is brilliant - while we were there it activated nodding its head, turnng he wheels to move the legs and puffed out steam!!

[And a bonus - a daughter and two grand-children that live in Lancashire were in Brum, unbeknown to us, and we met up for half an hour before they set off to see the bull and thence to Edgbaston for the cricket]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2022, 06:30:53 pm »
Having managed to get around the entire Tour de France while hardly falling off his bike at all, G Thomas managed to fall off in the time-trial :facepalm:

Still came third, mind, though he got beaten by Fred Wright.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:18:43 pm »
I'm actually enjoying some of this.  I just watch the highlights in the evening.
There's always something I can relate to, unlike the Olympics.
Last night the squash.  Bloody fantastic.   They were almost as good as I used to be.
Like the cycling really.   :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:21:46 pm »
The daily soundtrack of cheering, clapping, ooing, ahhing, counting down and occasional music from the stickball pitches continues to be strangely uplifting, and a general improvement over the usual burglar alarms and motorist kerfuffle.

Barkata's finding it hard work, thobut, and is spending more time with her hearing aid switched off.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:36:22 pm »
Ah.  Barakta the bull fangirl.   ;)

« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2022, 07:58:29 am »
Couldn't believe it when a certain Welshman failed to take that corner :-(

The time trial route was certainly challenging, with a few really tight turns. Not exactly pan-flat either, with a hairy descent (plus an extra one on the men's) and some stiff climbs. Even on the gentle roll-round sighting lap ridden as a group the day before we managed to have some drop off the back and roll in several minutes after everyone else (still with moto cover) as we couldn't keep stopping to keep it together. I think it came as a real shock to some of the competitors how tough it was.
Lots of grumpy motorist around on Wednesday with the rolling road block, but absolutely fantastic crowds and support on the actual event - an unbelievable number out in the towns and along the roadside  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2022, 12:03:43 pm »

Apparently it was built from recycled scrap and will be scrapped/recycled at the end of the games.   Seems a shame.
Apparently the telehandler that drives it is hired, so unless you want K&B to pay even more council tax, it has to go.

Not any more

The 10ft mechanical bull used in the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games has been saved from the scrap-heap after a public campaign.
Thousands of people signed an online petition to stop it from being dismantled and recycled. The bull will now be given a permanent home in the city centre with the location yet to be decided.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-62436026

« Reply #19 on: 07 August, 2022, 03:01:00 pm »
Yebbut, it's got to be indoors, so I'm not sure where it could be located.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #20 on: 07 August, 2022, 03:21:02 pm »
Yebbut, it's got to be indoors, so I'm not sure where it could be located.

Mordor Central, where else!

« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2022, 04:00:22 pm »
I can't think of anywhere in New Street where it could go. Most free space is taken up by crappy franchise stalls.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2022, 01:31:30 pm »
I can't get past the "Absolutely" Stoneybridge Olympics bid, where they realise they're not in with a chance, and Eck suggests, "What about the Commonwealth Games?  They're crap."
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #23 on: 08 August, 2022, 01:40:34 pm »
Did something happen to pause the road race yesterday?
Milk please, no sugar.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:09:59 pm »
OMG.  Ozzy is still alive.
Just.