Author Topic: What's your start time?  (Read 6564 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
What's your start time?
« on: 03 August, 2022, 11:04:23 am »
I'm in group V, starting at 10:30.

Be interested to see who I might bump into at the start, what's your start time?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: What's your start time?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:20:22 pm »
12:30, Rider AD1.

Leave some food for me, please :-)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:21:15 pm »
12:30, Rider AD1.

Leave some food for me, please :-)

Can't promise anything.  :P ;D

Edd

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:22:10 pm »
I second that motion, I'm in AE 12:45 start. Lie in and a lazy breakfast come Sunday morning though

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:28:56 pm »
I’m also a 12:45 starter, AE34.  Reasons same as above! Plan to start near back of group to avoid the adrenaline time trial mode that always seem to infect these groups. I have the real time tracker which I’ll be picking up on Sat.  Think I know where I’m going to put it.

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:10:06 pm »
U49 @ 10:15.  Wave as you pass.

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2022, 03:44:12 pm »
AC3 with a 12.15 start here

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2022, 05:51:06 pm »
U19 - 1015. Still unsure what my ‘plan’ is going to be regarding how far to try and get before sleeping. I like to have plan on paper which I agonise over for days and then ignore once the rubber hits the road!  :)

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:47:13 pm »
AC3 with a 12.15 start here

Hopefully overlap at some point as I start 30 mins later. A laidback of recumbents

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:51:46 pm »
K26, 08:00.

I have learnt my lesson with PBP and starting at 18:15, I have been up for almost a day before I start, so I get very tired during the first night, but still keep going for 30 hours and about 315 miles before a sleep.

So, I am planning on getting up a couple of hours before the start at 06:00 when I usually get up, and then, the 30 hour limit should be on the Monday afternoon and have a siesta in a field in the Sun for a bit of piece and quiet rather than a checkpoint.

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:03:05 pm »
U19 - 1015. Still unsure what my ‘plan’ is going to be regarding how far to try and get before sleeping. I like to have plan on paper which I agonise over for days and then ignore once the rubber hits the road!  :)

U23 here, so also 10h15
On the basis of the current weather predictions I'm changing my intended strategy from sleeping at controls to taking my sleeping back with me and roughing it. Ride through the first night and sleep somewhere between Brampton and Moffat for the 2nd night.

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:42:37 pm »
Hopefully overlap at some point as I start 30 mins later. A laidback of recumbents

:thumbsup: I think I’m a bit slower to you so I’m sure you’ll catch me up before too long

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:32:38 pm »
AD3 12.30 for me

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:35:08 pm »
Another AE here - AE36. Looking forward to the lie in* and chilled out breakfast. Not sure what to do for lunch, does anyone know if there's food at the control on Sunday pre-riding? Otherwise I'll raid a supermarket en route.

*Pretty sure I'll be awake from 6 ready to go...but we can hope!

« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:44:29 pm »
Another 10.15 here, U10.  Say hi if you see me - I’ll be the confused-looking person wondering what this audax thing is about.

My sleep strategy also involves a bivy somewhere in the very vague vicinity of Moffat (+/-50 miles). It’s been my sleep strategy all along, but the current fictional weather forecast is making it look like a big win vs a school hall.

« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:11:04 pm »
Another 10.15 here, U10.  Say hi if you see me - I’ll be the confused-looking person wondering what this audax thing is about.

My sleep strategy also involves a bivy somewhere in the very vague vicinity of Moffat (+/-50 miles). It’s been my sleep strategy all along, but the current fictional weather forecast is making it look like a big win vs a school hall.

https://www.lockerbielorrypark.co.uk/accommodation/

Also food till 10pm and toilets 24/7, showers as well but not sure if they are 24/7

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:13:24 pm »
Another AE here - AE36. Looking forward to the lie in* and chilled out breakfast. Not sure what to do for lunch, does anyone know if there's food at the control on Sunday pre-riding? Otherwise I'll raid a supermarket en route.

*Pretty sure I'll be awake from 6 ready to go...but we can hope!

There was food available on the Sunday in 2013 and 2017, but you can check at Saturday registration what the arrangements are this edition. I’ll likely have a second breakfast at home then aim to arrive at start about an hour before our start.

« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:16:42 pm »

https://www.lockerbielorrypark.co.uk/accommodation/

Also food till 10pm and toilets 24/7, showers as well but not sure if they are 24/7

Thanks, they can be assured of a lot of double bookings, early and late sleepers ;)

« Reply #18 on: 03 August, 2022, 10:19:03 pm »
Just noted cafeteria is 24/7 as well. Extra food stop if you need it.

« Reply #19 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:15:38 pm »

U23 here, so also 10h15
On the basis of the current weather predictions I'm changing my intended strategy from sleeping at controls to taking my sleeping back with me and roughing it. Ride through the first night and sleep somewhere between Brampton and Moffat for the 2nd night.

Yeah, my plan involved riding through first night to Brampton/Moffat but I’m second guessing myself now. Will just have to see how it goes. I got tired and needed an hour or so on some grass in the early evening on PBP after riding through first night, but obviously was a much later start. So whether I can make it to 5-600k without sleep with a morning start remains to be seen.
Good luck all!

« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:20:07 pm »

I’ll be the only one in a  VC167 top in our start slot. Will also be the one looking scared and looking at everyone else’s bikes thinking I’ve overpacked.

« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2022, 06:01:56 am »

I’ll be the only one in a  VC167 top in our start slot. Will also be the one looking scared and looking at everyone else’s bikes thinking I’ve overpacked.

Once you've seen my bike you won't think anymore that you've overpacked

« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2022, 09:33:39 pm »
I'm in group V, starting at 10:30.

Same here , but I won't have my YACF badge on.

« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:02:42 am »
10.45 W17. Not fit enough to ride the whole route. My 3rd LEL (-13 and -17 both dnf) so it was hard to keep away. I'm not taking these things too serious. This is only bad hobby like drinking.
Long rides - always too far

« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:18:27 am »
10.45 W17. Not fit enough to ride the whole route. My 3rd LEL (-13 and -17 both dnf) so it was hard to keep away. I'm not taking these things too serious. This is only bad hobby like drinking.

Start with the belief you can do it, and keep forward momentum.   It’s not moving time that sees you bouncing time limits, it’s the accumulation of stopped time.  Keep stops to the minimum necessary and you’ll build enough time for sleep each day.

As Phil says, and also in the immortal words of advice Chris Crossland said just before PBP 2015 to us, "Sitting in cafe's is not making progress, you have to keep the wheels turning"

Mind you, my motivation and enthusiasm is rock bottom, I should have been on the road 90 minutes ago heading to Debden, and still sat here at home.