Author Topic: LEL time limit extended  (Read 4192 times)

LEL time limit extended
« on: 04 August, 2022, 07:02:46 pm »
Danial has just posted on Facebook that following negotiations with AUK and Les Randonneurs Mondiaux, the completion time for LEL has been extended from 125 hours to 128 hours and 20 minutes.

Good news for full value riders like myself :thumbsup:

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: LEL time limit extended
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:27:18 pm »
Not quite so good for the controls who find they are opening for a good bit longer than they had planned just when they thought they'd be getting to bed. More notice would have been great (I won't comment on where the responsibility lies, but it's not alwyn's)

There have been at least 400 WhatsApp messages on this over the last couple of days (no exaggeration) as each control has different challenges. But we'll make it work and you won't even notice.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:49:14 pm »
Thank you Pete, and all the other volunteers at the controls and behind the scenes ! If it wasn't for the amazing experience I had with the controls in 2017 (from my view superbly organised and even when tired still spirited and helpful volunteers) I wouldn't have registered for this year.

And thank you Danial for negotiating, I doubt I'll cut it that close, but mentally it helps me a lot!

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »
Not quite so good for the controls who find they are opening for a good bit longer than they had planned just when they thought they'd be getting to bed. More notice would have been great (I won't comment on where the responsibility lies, but it's not alwyn's)

There have been at least 400 WhatsApp messages on this over the last couple of days (no exaggeration) as each control has different challenges. But we'll make it work and you won't even notice.
I will be immensely thankful though. Sorry if my earlier post was insensitive.

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:40:38 pm »
One of the things that I noticed yesterday when I was doing my planning and the worst case scenario of riding on the minimum average speed based on 1640k divided by 125 hours, with the diversions added etc and slightly extra distance for some sections compared to the checkpoint closing times for my start time that I got an email for,  there was about 3 checkpoints that I would arrive at after they had closed..

Whether the brevet cards have been altered to reflect such,  I don't know but at this late stage, I'm not replanning and still basimg the ride on 125 hours and have an extra buffer zone of 3 hours 20 minutes.

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:04:06 pm »

Whether the brevet cards have been altered to reflect such,

No they won’t, the brevet card proofs are approved for printing a few months back, and go off for printing.  Too big a job to manually update 1900 individualised brevet cards which have timings specific to your start, and will already be bagged in your registration pack.

I’m going to ride as though I still have a 125 hour deadline, but with the knowledge I have this 3 hour 20 min contingency to be deployed if I really really need it.

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:11:26 pm »
Mentally I'll probably add 1h our for the Yad Moss stage out, 1hour for the Yad Moss stage back and 1h20 for contingencies (or sleep at St. Ives)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2022, 07:10:08 am »
I will be immensely thankful though. Sorry if my earlier post was insensitive.

Not at all, Gavin, it was exactly the reaction I'd have had if I'd been riding. I was just reflecting the other side of the coin.

As Phil said - the brevet cards will still show control times for 125 hours and it seems that aiming for those times would be prudent. Just about to load up the car and head off.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:29:33 pm »
... 1640k divided by 125 hours, ...
hope this is a typo
..compared to the checkpoint closing times for my start time that I got an email for,..
I have an email with a start time, I don't see a list of checkpoint times. Have I missed something?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:37:44 pm »
Rider newsletter email on 13th June had your control opening and close times.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:42:19 pm »

Whether the brevet cards have been altered to reflect such,

No they won’t, the brevet card proofs are approved for printing a few months back, and go off for printing.  Too big a job to manually update 1900 individualised brevet cards which have timings specific to your start, and will already be bagged in your registration pack.

I’m going to ride as though I still have a 125 hour deadline, but with the knowledge I have this 3 hour 20 min contingency to be deployed if I really really need it.
3hrs 20mins added to st ives, great easton and arrivee, in case I want to sleep at Boston Thursday night.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Notfromrugby

« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2022, 06:52:56 pm »
Just about to load up the car and head off.

The mighty Brera?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:30:37 pm »
Just about to load up the car and head off.

The mighty Brera?

We gave our daughters (who were travelling up separately) a lot of equipment to lighten the load and then I had a few anxious moments when the MiTo was rapidly filling up. We squeezed it in eventually. It's a 4C, not a Brera, that's my pride and joy ;).