Author Topic: Thru axle to QR conversion  (Read 639 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Thru axle to QR conversion
« on: 13 August, 2022, 08:30:40 am »
What would be needed if you were trying to convert a rear road disc wheel from TA to QR - specifically a Mavic Aksium - I see there are slide through doo das on Amazon and also pukka Mavic adapters but I have no idea where to start. The thing is my pal thinks I just know all this stuff and I really don’t so I’m scared I tell him to buy the wrong thingymadoo

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Thru axle to QR conversion
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2022, 11:51:16 am »
The standard for rear QR axle is 135mm width (Over Lock Nut) for disk set ups, 9mm diameter.
12mm Through axle common standard is 142mm. The Mavic Aksiums are this size.

Most frame materials and designs will not work with the wider axle.

The hub designs I have seen involve changing the end caps of the axle to convert a rear through axle to QR. You are best getting hub/wheel manufacturers parts, there is an option on the Mavic web site. - 12 to 9mm rear adapter for quick release [V2510801], the caps look to be a push fit. You will also need a skewer!

Fronts are simpler - both standards are 100mm OLN so a generic insert/reducer with the QR sized ends on will work.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Re: Thru axle to QR conversion
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2022, 11:58:36 am »
I take it the Mavic reducers are probably the better option over one of those generic push through QR axles - either way the TA end caps would have to be removed I guess