Author Topic: Bag Drop  (Read 2329 times)

Bag Drop
« on: 28 July, 2023, 09:22:28 am »
Hello all

Couldn't see an answer to this in the info sent out so far - are there bag drop(s) at PBP?
If not has anyone used a 3rd party service?
Found it very useful at LEL, otherwise have to plan my kit list a bit better!

Many thanks!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bag Drop
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:29:07 am »
Any bag drops at PBP are arranged by you, not ACP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2023, 11:05:54 am »
As far as I can tell there is a service for leaving bags at the start to collect at the finish, but none to take bags along the route. Just means I need to carry two more jerseys and one extra pair of shorts over my 2019 kit list, not a lot of extra weight.

I couldn't find much online when I did a google search some months back.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2023, 03:14:06 pm »
I'm using
https://www.jftcycling.com/

No personal experience, but I know people that have used them before and it worked

Only warning, don't expect help finding you bag, it'll be there somewhere in a massive pile at the chosen control. Especially Loudeac had thousands. Use a distinctive bag, and put and airtag/tile tracker in it.

Rusa are organising their own bagdrop, but that's only for northern American riders. Those lucky Canadians

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2023, 03:23:25 pm »
I'm using

No personal experience, but I know people that have used them before and it worked

Only warning, don't expect help finding you bag, it'll be there somewhere in a massive pile at the chosen control. Especially Loudeac had thousands. Use a distinctive bag, and put and airtag/tile tracker in it.

Rusa are organising their own bagdrop, but that's only for northern American riders. Those lucky Canadians

I've a suspicion that Randonneurs NL are organising one too. But I'm not 100%.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2023, 03:48:52 pm »
I'm using

I've a suspicion that Randonneurs NL are organising one too. But I'm not 100%.

J

Yep, on the same campsite as the legendary 'camp trenchfoot' many PBP's ago

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:36:32 pm »
i went with a coach package in 2007 and they had a bag drop.  The coach drove to one of the controls and we could get stuff off it.  I was glad of my wd40 (it was a wet year)

The other times I just relied on my huge saddle bag

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2023, 11:07:54 pm »
Italian Audax association organizes a bag drop in Quédillac that is between Tinténiac and Loudéac, splitting in three, even parts the overall 1,200 km.
Up to June it would have been easier and less expensive, now applications are subject to organizers' approval and cost 40 euro.
I didn't read anything that says "only for Italians", though.
It's all described (in Italian) here: https://www.audaxitalia.it/index.php?pg=pagine&tree_p=37

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2023, 07:42:59 pm »
As far as I can tell there is a service for leaving bags at the start to collect at the finish, but none to take bags along the route. Just means I need to carry two more jerseys and one extra pair of shorts over my 2019 kit list, not a lot of extra weight.

I couldn't find much online when I did a google search some months back.

Has anyone found out if this is happening this year? I used it in 2015 but not seen anything this time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2023, 07:57:58 pm »
There was a place near the registration.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2023, 08:01:52 pm »
On the left in the courtyard where you picked up your stuff.

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2023, 09:01:04 pm »
Sure, that was the Italian one, not the official event one.
I suspect there isn't an event one this year.

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2023, 09:53:15 pm »
There was nothing obviously Italian about it. Just a sign with a suitcase on it.

Document C says:
“ You can drop a bag (on Saturday or Sunday) and get it back upon arrival.”

Me and a lot of other people are fucked if it isn’t available.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2023, 10:19:28 pm »
There was nothing obviously Italian about it. Just a sign with a suitcase on it.

Document C says:
“ You can drop a bag (on Saturday or Sunday) and get it back upon arrival.”

Me and a lot of other people are fucked if it isn’t available.
That sounds like "left luggage". I asked at Information, was told it would be open until around noon-1pm on Sunday. I think it's where the "Lost and Found" desk was - ALSO on the left of the courtyard.
(But I'm not using it now, so can have a lie in tomorrow! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 20 August, 2023, 06:39:48 am »
OK, thanks both!