Author Topic: 2023 Results are in (unofficial)  (Read 9982 times)

2023 Results are in (unofficial)
« on: 30 August, 2023, 03:23:29 am »
https://www.pbpresults.com/ now has “results” up for 2023, with a few caveats, data scraped from the timing site so many records have missed controls, you can select for complete control data, which gives about 4726 finishers (around 76%) and another 150 OTL. Some riders will have had bad chip readings at some controls so will eventually be added to this on the basis of their cards. Some, up to 180, classified as “Finished” because they have finish control time but with many missed controls may become DNF. Total 6749 so about 60 missing from the previously published registered of 6810?

Re: 2023 Results are in !
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2023, 07:54:47 am »
The guy needs to, as the kids say, have a word with himself about those pink lady icons.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:24:21 am »
The guy needs to, as the kids say, have a word with himself about those pink lady icons.
I had a word myself, just in case

EDIT: feel free to do so as well, I get fed up with apparently being the only person raising such things.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:43:36 am »
I'm really curious what the organisation is about to do with people who miss some or all chip readings. I think they also recorded when you left a control (not visible in the app),

Positive note: 48.3% of the riders from India finished (44.8% in time) vs 14.6% in 2019

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2023, 09:01:39 am »
This is great, thanks.
I know some 80 hour riders who finished out of time but this is showing them as finished. I don’t think it’s correctly coding the 80 hour groups as OTL. First OTL is someone doing over 84hrs presumably from the 84hr group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2023, 09:11:40 am »
I'm really curious what the organisation is about to do with people who miss some or all chip readings.

My guess: email everyone who's missing chip data and get them to send in evidence that they did go to those controls? Evidence potentially being a photo of the brevet card and/or a gpx tracklog.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2023, 10:17:49 am »
This is great, thanks.
I know some 80 hour riders who finished out of time but this is showing them as finished. I don’t think it’s correctly coding the 80 hour groups as OTL. First OTL is someone doing over 84hrs presumably from the 84hr group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a first raw dump, while the rider frame label is shown I don't think these have been parsed yet to extract the start wave and then infer the time limit. I surmise this as there is no filter for wave or time limit in the 2023 page as there  is for 2019 and previous edition pages, I am sure he/she (I am making an assumption here, perhaps I should say they) will get around to it right after they have chosen a new way of indicating stated gender grouping.  :)

PS I notice the control data contains a record for "Canihuel" (not too far from St Nicolas) and "Playben" (not far from Gouarec)

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:00:54 am »
PS I notice the control data contains a record for "Canihuel" (not too far from St Nicolas) and "Playben" (not far from Gouarec)

The secret controls had chip readers.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:03:55 am »
This looks like a simple scrape of the timing chip data.  I checked a couple of people I knew to have packed, and it shows them as finishing because they crossed the line in Rambouillet but they didn't have a complete set of controls.  A simple example of this is the rider shown as finishing in #15, who is shown as reaching Carhaix at 05:56 Tuesday, which would be out of time for the E-group in which they started.  The next entry is in Rambouillet at 17:12 on the same day - at a speed of 62.51kph, which presumably means they returned by campervan, TGV or similar means - but this data is showing them as finished.

So I would take these results with a big pinch of salt
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:12:37 am »
I'm really curious what the organisation is about to do with people who miss some or all chip readings. I think they also recorded when you left a control (not visible in the app),

Yes, all the main controls had loops on entrance and exit.

I was missing a chip time from Carhaix inbound while en route, causing my familial dotwatchers some consternation. By the time I reached Rambouillet (or soon after), it had filled in, possibly off the secondary loop or some other behind-the-scenes data wrangling.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:20:36 am »
Ah interesting! I didn't pay attention, but did they have computers at the finish? A fast and trivial thing to do would be to check the brevet card if all stamps are present / no time penalties recorded and put a checkmark next to a startnumber in a spreadsheet.

« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:26:56 am »
This looks like a simple scrape of the timing chip data...... So I would take these results with a big pinch of salt

The banners at the top of the 2023 page clearly say it is a work in progress from a single source of data, they have done a great job to get this far in this short time.

Flâneur

« Reply #12 on: 30 August, 2023, 11:48:22 am »
I'm sure it's come up before here in other threads, but is the Chris Whitty listed as finisher THE Chris Whitty?

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2023, 12:58:47 pm »
There were no computers at the finish.

Flâneur

« Reply #14 on: 30 August, 2023, 01:42:11 pm »
There were no computers at the finish.

Agree, there was a brief visual inspection of the card for missing stamps and if it passed muster, you received the medal.

« Reply #15 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:54:27 pm »
I'm sure it's come up before here in other threads, but is the Chris Whitty listed as finisher THE Chris Whitty?

Nope, Chris (the Olympic Champion) lives only 100k away from me. If she had done PBP, I'd have spotted her at some of the local qualifiers. And no mention of PBP on her Facebook page.

Flâneur

« Reply #16 on: 30 August, 2023, 10:34:15 pm »

Nope, Chris (the Olympic Champion) lives only 100k away from me. If she had done PBP, I'd have spotted her at some of the local qualifiers. And no mention of PBP on her Facebook page.

Ah. I think you are probably referring to Chris(tine) Witty, Ivo, while I was meaning Sir Chris Whitty

« Reply #17 on: 30 August, 2023, 10:36:27 pm »
The PBP Results site creator has done further data cleaning and the OTLs now reflect the 80/84/90 hr limits, OTLs gone up from 150 to 230. There are still 220 riders marked as Finished or OTL as they have a final control time but missing some other controls, some of these will eventually be DNF but that will require an ACP decision on each. And still a small number of riders without a final control so marked as DNF but some, (known to me), actually finished but with chip read failure and will, after ACP decision, become Finished. I assume ACP are chasing a few hundred ambiguous results rather than wading through 6000 brevets as previous so should publish results sooner but eta unknown, depends on them hearing back from riders.

PS Mr E200 (80h) arrived 18h36m OTL, wonder if they got an encouragement/perseverance award? (Full control times), Ms G317 (90h) actually arrived 11 minutes later but had started 30 minutes later & might have missed Dreux (or the timer there might have been off by then?)

« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2023, 06:51:56 am »

Ah. I think you are probably referring to Chris(tine) Witty, Ivo, while I was meaning Sir Chris Whitty

I'm referring indeed to the US speedskater/cyclist, currently living in the Netherland.

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:15:07 pm »
I assume ACP are chasing a few hundred ambiguous results rather than wading through 6000 brevets as previous so should publish results sooner but eta unknown, depends on them hearing back from riders.

If you had a full set of stamps,you were given the card back .
So your assumption is probably correct.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:22:25 pm »

Positive note: 48.3% of the riders from India finished (44.8% in time) vs 14.6% in 2019
In 2019 most of my chip timings were missed, but as my book was fully stamped I was correctly a finisher. I understand this time they did not keep the brevet cards/books at the finish, so presumably the finishing official checked whether the chip timing were all present, and then corrected this where they were missing.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Flâneur

« Reply #21 on: 31 August, 2023, 01:30:17 pm »
I understand this time they did not keep the brevet cards/books at the finish, so presumably the finishing official checked whether the chip timing were all present, and then corrected this where they were missing.

No, they didn't - as stated upthread, no IT of any kind in the final control tent.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #22 on: 31 August, 2023, 06:23:40 pm »
I understand this time they did not keep the brevet cards/books at the finish, so presumably the finishing official checked whether the chip timing were all present, and then corrected this where they were missing.

No, they didn't - as stated upthread, no IT of any kind in the final control tent.

You don't need IT at the finish if it's a manual process: tick off the entrant on a paper print out and then batch data enter that to the computer at some later date.

Flâneur

« Reply #23 on: 31 August, 2023, 06:33:48 pm »

You don't need IT at the finish if it's a manual process: tick off the entrant on a paper print out and then batch data enter that to the computer at some later date.

Yes and that's pretty much what I recollect happening, but it doesn't fill in gaps in the intermediate control electronic records and the electronic records appear to be viewed by ACP as the primary record now.

« Reply #24 on: 31 August, 2023, 06:40:56 pm »
I don’t recall them writing anything down, but I wasn’t in the best state of mind.