Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863819 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5975 on: 14 June, 2022, 04:01:20 pm »
I have had a fake Shimano cable set from the Bay of Thieves, too.  It is an online car boot sale really.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5976 on: 14 June, 2022, 04:21:20 pm »
D has bought a black Oxford pannier rack for the Orbit. It is apparently the only one stocked in a local shop.

It seems very clunky. The bike is mainly silver. I really don't understand the need for the wide props at the base of the struts.

Hope he can fit this monstrosity without issues!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5977 on: 14 June, 2022, 05:47:21 pm »
If you mean the bottom ends of the struts have gert big chunks of metal on their inward sides, with the fixing bolt 'ole through the middle, 'tis to clear the caliper of a disc brake.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5978 on: 14 June, 2022, 06:04:00 pm »
Ebay is not the place to buy chains or bearings

In principle I would agree but the chains I bought were from one the reputable online cycling stores that also has an "ebay shop" - perhaps they got a "spot purchase deal"*  ... and a look at the 3 chains I still have does suggest from both the link chamfer and packaging appear genuine.

* when I managed an LBS I'd sometimes get job-lot/end of line offers from pretty major suppliers (even Madison) for quantities of stuff at prices that were very competitive - usually things like inner tubes, brake blocks, cables and sometimes chains and even groupsets.

On the subject of chains I bought a couple (as part of an order for some other stuff for a customer, and it was convenient) from the cycle retailer in Bridgwater - SRAM 8 speed, nothing special . . . they arrived today in unbranded plastic bags with a magic link . . . . presumably they purchase chain on the roll and cut/package to make more money/get the price down?

« Reply #5979 on: 15 June, 2022, 07:32:21 pm »
Yes, true, there are a few decent ebay shops that offload old stock or end of line stuff.

I had in mind the more anonymous ebay sellers. I first realised that chains were an issue when I noticed the ridiculously cheap Shimano 105/Ultegra 11sp chains on ebay. Also SKF bearings.

« Reply #5980 on: 15 June, 2022, 07:45:52 pm »
I bought some "SRAM" 8 speed chains on Ebay ages ago.   One repeatedly snapped during a tour of Norway,   luckily I found a bike shop.   Another was used when I built up an MTB , which I rode on Kim's Tunnel Ride in 2013  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=75508.msg1585111#msg1585111   

"A total of 6 chain breakages, missing my train & having to shell out £25 for a new ticket."
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

« Reply #5981 on: 15 June, 2022, 07:54:40 pm »
Yes, true, there are a few decent ebay shops that offload old stock or end of line stuff.

I had in mind the more anonymous ebay sellers. I first realised that chains were an issue when I noticed the ridiculously cheap Shimano 105/Ultegra 11sp chains on ebay. Also SKF bearings.

A customer had an "incredibly cheap Shimano Ultegra chain from ebay" for me to fit to his bike a few weeks ago . . . . . . no idea whether it was genuine, have to say the box looked the part.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5982 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:37:26 pm »
If you mean the bottom ends of the struts have gert big chunks of metal on their inward sides, with the fixing bolt 'ole through the middle, 'tis to clear the caliper of a disc brake.

Makes sense!
Harrier has rim brakes.
D has fitted prop stand.
Methinks wider loaded bike width will reduce stability of bike when stand is used.
I've warned him, He says it topples a lot anyway.

Personally, I gae up prop stands a long time ago but D seems to like them (then get upset when loaded bike inevitably topples).

Can't imagine this toppling does the pannier rack any favours!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5983 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:45:48 pm »
Centre of gravity will be the same as each rack leg cantilevers outwards from the centreline.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5984 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:46:58 pm »
There are propstands & propstands.   I have one of these.  It will happily support a heavy tourer with front & rear panniers.  Best to lock the brakes though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/pletscher-esge-ks13-multi-zoom-single-leg-propstand
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

« Reply #5985 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:40:57 am »
Another pair of bibshorts (the current senior pair have finally given up the ghost with the Lycra becoing very limp)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5986 on: 17 June, 2022, 04:01:03 pm »
I have bought a second Mercian. This one is a King of Mercia, 531 comp-tubed F&F (plus headset and seat pin). It's a very nice example, 1994. The paintwork is in reasonable condition; lovely red with a white head tube and white bands on the seat tube. Gold lug-lining. Lots of braze-ons (but no pump peg!), raised head tube.

It'll be a bit of a project to build it up while I am off the bikes.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5987 on: 17 June, 2022, 04:36:01 pm »
Lots of braze-ons (but no pump peg!), raised head tube.
It's possible to make a diy pump peg with a zip-tie fastened around the headtube (remembering
to cut off the excess once zip-tie has been tightened.

robgul

« Reply #5988 on: 17 June, 2022, 06:03:21 pm »
It's possible to make a diy pump peg with a zip-tie fastened around the headtube (remembering

.... but that would be a crime on a Mercian . . .

Paul

« Reply #5989 on: 18 June, 2022, 03:46:53 pm »
Indeed. But I’m just puzzled that the original owner had so much done to the frame, including fork braze-ons for bottle dynamo and light and a hole under the down tube just behind the head tube and another at the end of the non-drive side chain stay for (apparently) running a rear dynamo cable. Why, when going to that trouble, wouldn’t you fit a pump peg?

« Reply #5990 on: 18 June, 2022, 05:18:31 pm »

.... but that would be a crime on a Mercian . . .
It's only a (name on a) frame. ::-)

« Reply #5991 on: 18 June, 2022, 08:21:30 pm »
A very nice Molteni jersey badge from Ciclismo Badges.

« Reply #5992 on: 18 June, 2022, 08:26:02 pm »
And a new Hope bottom bracket. It turns out that my Hollotech II BB tool is crap. It slipped several times during the removal of the existing Hope bottom bracket and screwed up the notches. That bottom bracket that was supposed to last a lifetime and for which I’d bought the bearing tool, turned out to be disposable the first time I tried to replace a bearing. Grumpy doesn’t even come close.

Also bought a Unior bottom bracket tool, which is very nice and doesn’t slip.

Paul

« Reply #5993 on: 21 June, 2022, 03:12:30 pm »
I have bought a second Mercian. This one is a King of Mercia, 531 comp-tubed F&F (plus headset and seat pin). It's a very nice example, 1994. The paintwork is in reasonable condition; lovely red with a white head tube and white bands on the seat tube. Gold lug-lining. Lots of braze-ons (but no pump peg!), raised head tube.

It'll be a bit of a project to build it up while I am off the bikes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5994 on: 22 June, 2022, 01:00:25 am »
Indeed. But I’m just puzzled that the original owner had so much done to the frame, including fork braze-ons for bottle dynamo and light and a hole under the down tube just behind the head tube and another at the end of the non-drive side chain stay for (apparently) running a rear dynamo cable. Why, when going to that trouble, wouldn’t you fit a pump peg?

Because your preferred flavour of pump isn't peggable?  Not sure what choice of pumps there was in the mid-90s, the ones I owned were peggable and crap.

Paul

« Reply #5995 on: 22 June, 2022, 07:05:21 am »
Undoubtedly something like that. I’m faux incredulous because I did exactly the same thing when having a previous frame restored: ummed and ahhed over (I think) £35 for a pump peg, decided it wasn’t worth it, and regretted it every day since.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5996 on: 23 June, 2022, 06:20:39 pm »
A cotter press.  A bench vice works ok for getting pins out if you do them last as part of a stripdown, but is hardly practical to use on a built-up bike.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5997 on: 12 July, 2022, 09:29:38 am »
Oh well, I've done it.  Gone and bought some Shimano SPD sandals.  I gather they're a tad lacking compared to the offerings in days of yore, but thought would give them a go, & a 'heatwave' is  probably as good time as any to start...  Plus I have a birthday inna few days.    :)   No plans for socks, just saying.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5998 on: 11 August, 2022, 09:53:45 pm »
I have accepted my health is not improving with age. Ordered a Bafang Mid-Drive motor, for putting on my Trice, it'll be like giving it a 21st Birthday present!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5999 on: 11 August, 2022, 10:35:56 pm »
Spare brake cable, a replacement cable for the front derailleur cable that failed 20km into my 400km ride last week leaving me with 6 usable gears  ::-) for the rest of the route and a spare Shimano 11 speed chain.  Not from fleabay not Amazon.  Purchase entrusted to a reputable source as I don’t want to worry about the consequences of having fakes in crucial components for the next six months.