Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1297136 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7325 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:23:19 pm »
I have posted upthread and elsewhere that a tape measure provides cheap and reliable data...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7326 on: 09 May, 2022, 05:01:34 am »
Indeed, Helly. I think the point of my post was that I have willingly grasped at what (in hindsight) was faulty data in a fit of self-delusion, encouraging me to indulge in quite a lot of extra grub that wasn’t justified!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7327 on: 09 May, 2022, 02:17:48 pm »
Good point, well made!

Clothing fit is pretty useful if you're a skinflint/ecofreak who keeps old clothes.

Elastic waistbands aren't too helpful...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7328 on: 30 June, 2022, 07:28:09 pm »
I've lost the plot rather in recent weeks because of some rather brutal bits of Real Life that have come my way. But hopefully have now turned a corner and will be back on the straight & narrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #7329 on: 06 August, 2022, 07:59:49 pm »
I thought I had hit a plateau and was not going to lose any more weight.

Yesterday I finally dropped below 70Kg (11 Stone) for the first time in many years.
Then I measured my waist 76cm. My first reaction was it gone up but I was confused.  For weeks it had been 84cm  (33"). 86cm would have been more but 76cm (30") is obviously less.

My remaining belly has disappeared and unless I try to compress my stomach nothing overhangs my belt.

I am content. My end target for this year and beyond of 64kg seems a little silly now.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #7330 on: 05 October, 2022, 07:20:03 pm »
Well I am truly off the wagon and am closer to 80kg than the 72kg I would like to be.  Real life sucks.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #7331 on: 13 October, 2022, 12:42:49 pm »
I weighed myself about a year or eighteen months ago , I had been “off the bike” for some time and had gotten quite a belly and a double chin , it just kind of crept up on me till one day I was surprised to see it. I was 110kg - at 6’1” I’m usually a svelte 90kg.

So I’ve got off the fat coke and now only do the zero or fizzy water and diluting sugar free stuff , no breakfast , no lunch , eat in a 3-4 hour window between say 6-9pm usually just my dinner and a telly snack

I’m back to doing 40-50 miles a week at about 15mph , been at this for probably 4-5 months , very few blips.
I’m noticeably thinner , fitting into most of my clothes again and my belly has shrunk - visibly. However I…

Haven’t lost any weight according to the scales and seem to have plateaued for the past 6 weeks - lowest I’ve seen on the scales is 107kg and I don’t “look” fat but I’m just like some weird opposite of that Stephen King story elevation , I’m getting thinner and fitter again but I’m not getting any lighter

Just want to get near my weight where I can at least appear outwardly to “cope” with hills on the bike

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7332 on: 03 November, 2022, 02:07:25 pm »
Was doing OK, but now I'm self-isolating with COVID and the neighbours keep bringing more food.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #7333 on: 03 November, 2022, 03:22:40 pm »
We have joined the Zoe BigIF trial of intermittent fasting which may be having some effect.  Interesting study anyway

« Reply #7334 on: 03 November, 2022, 06:46:09 pm »
I watch with interest.

« Reply #7335 on: 30 December, 2022, 06:53:40 pm »
Id like to lose weight. 20 lbs over 6 months or even 8 months. At 6' 1" and relatively light frame, my weight is currently 13 stone 3 lbs. Ill be 62 in 1 week.
Several reasons for wanting weight loss ( only bodyfat if possible) are as follows.
1. Quite strong genetic predisposition to T2 diabetes on maternal side, none on paternal side. Mum one of6 siblings all had heart attacks, all survived and had heart bypasses. They didnt look fat but as i remember they were all thick round the middle with thin arms and legs.
2.Back in mid 80s i weighed 11 stone 2lb and was a distance runner 1:21 for aHM. Im not trying to be that fast or that weight again but getting to 11 stone 10 lb ought to be attainable.
I can still run and cycle fairly well but before i get properly old id like to get in good shape.
Ive never attempted to lose weight so im entering a new territory. Have any forum members been very sensible for a period of 6 months plus and lost around 20 lb. Bear in mind im 6'1". If ive posted on the wrong thread i apologise, but i dont know where else that has sensible people as per this forum.

« Reply #7336 on: 30 December, 2022, 07:20:04 pm »
Id like to lose weight. 20 lbs over 6 months or even 8 months. At 6' 1" and relatively light frame, my weight is currently 13 stone 3 lbs. Ill be 62 in 1 week.
Several reasons for wanting weight loss ( only bodyfat if possible) are as follows.
1. Quite strong genetic predisposition to T2 diabetes on maternal side, none on paternal side. Mum one of6 siblings all had heart attacks, all survived and had heart bypasses. They didnt look fat but as i remember they were all thick round the middle with thin arms and legs.
2.Back in mid 80s i weighed 11 stone 2lb and was a distance runner 1:21 for aHM. Im not trying to be that fast or that weight again but getting to 11 stone 10 lb ought to be attainable.
I can still run and cycle fairly well but before i get properly old id like to get in good shape.
Ive never attempted to lose weight so im entering a new territory. Have any forum members been very sensible for a period of 6 months plus and lost around 20 lb. Bear in mind im 6'1". If ive posted on the wrong thread i apologise, but i dont know where else that has sensible people as per this forum.

Andy, you sound like a 5 years older me - currently 13st 7lbs. Used to race, running, at between 11st 2 and 4lbs. 15 minutes for 5k.

I got down to just over 12st a couple of years ago without too much effort to be honest - intermittent fasting by only eating in the evening most days and making sure I was exercising. I’m back up due to injury really.

I’ve promised to get down to 75kgs - just under 12st - this year. I’m aiming to maintain exercise - mostly zone 2 on foot and bike and 1 hard session each week all being well. Plus manage eating either by IF or just do it. Minimal booze too, though that’s not such an issue for me once we get rid of people after Christmas!

It’s not easy but is doable with enough motivation and a bit of luck in terms of not getting pushed back. Enough sleep helps too - avoids the tired excess eating.

Mike

Edited to add that I’m also 6’ 1”

« Reply #7337 on: 03 January, 2023, 07:24:17 am »
Have any forum members been very sensible for a period of 6 months plus and lost around 20 lb. Bear in mind im 6'1". If ive posted on the wrong thread i apologise, but i dont know where else that has sensible people as per this forum.

20lbs seems a lot if you're 'only' 185lbs. (if my conversion is correct), but you know you and I don't.

I lost 35lbs over an 8 month period by changing to a keto diet. It could also do a lot to help with your diabetes worries.
It means giving up sugar in virtually all it's forms and while that sounds rough, it's actually not bad once you get used to it.
I put ~ 10-14lbs back on after changing to a not-very-strict low carb diet but now also wants to get rid of another 20lbs again.

« Reply #7338 on: 03 January, 2023, 07:30:51 am »
we decided to do the 800 calorie diabetic diet at the start of lockdown when I was 62 and lost about 2.5 stone.  We have regained about a stone but are restarting this week on an intermittent fasting, ketos-ish diet which we enjoy and basically I need to cut out all chocolate and sweets along with starchy food.

« Reply #7339 on: 03 January, 2023, 09:49:56 am »
I am the heaviest I've ever been, I don't even know what that is, I don't want to know, I have no intention of going near the scales till at least one pair of non elasticated trousers fit!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7340 on: 03 January, 2023, 12:36:16 pm »
I've lost the plot rather in recent weeks because of some rather brutal bits of Real Life that have come my way. But hopefully have now turned a corner and will be back on the straight & narrow.

The plot has been evading me for the past 6 months. Real Life continues to be more brutal than before. I find that if I am to lose weight I really need to divert an awful lot of my attention to it.

« Reply #7341 on: 03 January, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »
Thanks SteveC for setting up 2023s reports- I've been away without a real computer.

I've been referred to our local 'weight and wellbeing' service by my GP- at my request- as there is a hard line on joint replacement surgery. Above a BMI of 40 and the surgical outcomes are significantly affected. I'm perilously close to that.

I've not been thrilled with the program- the advice seems contradictory and dated ('eat to appetite' but 'always have breakfast' and 'never skip meals') and their nutrition plan equally outdated and contradictory ('don't count calories this is about lifestyle change' and also 'you can have a 200 calorie treat'). I'm Their idea of being active is 'include more walking in your day' when I can walk oooo maybe half a mile? Anyway, at every appointment they ask me what my plans are regarding surgery, by which they mean the bariatric surgery which is what everyone else using the service is there for. It's a tokenistic hope for some self driven change before the magic wand of a gastric band. What I went for was the CBT to treat your feelings about food and the food around your feelings. We shall see how well that pans out.

« Reply #7342 on: 16 February, 2023, 09:27:47 am »
How is everyone getting on?

I've had a hard talk with myself and a thorough look back at the YACF Weight Reports that I have sporadically filled out since 2019. These reports are a great resource/reminder about where I have been weight-wise as I'd never have kept track otherwise.

I've put on 1 stone in four years. This is bad and I've resolved to properly address this.

I find it very hard to lose weight (F, 44, PCOS, v active). Plan is to eat as few carbs as I dare, cut down on beer intake to nights out only and watch portion size). I have no other low hanging fruit as I don't eat crisps / chocolate and fast food is rare.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7343 on: 16 February, 2023, 10:25:15 am »
Pretty bad. I've put on a lot of weight in the past 18 months, mostly in the last 6. We've had a very stressful time and I comfort-eat. I've also got out of the 11,000 paces per day habit and I'm starting to address that as the weather warms and the days lengthen. I can't see the stress levels receding much for some time though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7344 on: 16 February, 2023, 12:47:51 pm »
Id like to lose weight. 20 lbs over 6 months or even 8 months.
[stuff]
Have any forum members been very sensible for a period of 6 months plus and lost around 20 lb. Bear in mind im 6'1". If ive posted on the wrong thread i apologise, but i dont know where else that has sensible people as per this forum.

I lost that sort of amount, some ten years ago, over a longer time frame. I've regained about half of this during and since lockdown, enjoying much cake and chocolate…

I'm unable to weigh myself now as I'm too wobbly to stand on scales and only have clothing fit as a measure. - I'm in my 'medium' trousers. I've had these 10 years and the fabric doesn't stretch…

I made a variety of 'rules' about food and eating, mostly at home. Social eating is to be enjoyed in moderation. There are nearly 50 weeks per year that are not holiday, birthday, Christmas or New Year and it's the eating habits for these will govern long-term weight. (Short-term gains at Christmas etc mostly vanish  soon after sensible eating resumes, so long as it does resume.)

Weight loss is something consenting adults do in private. Boring others with your tales is tiresome and replying 'No way!' to an offer of cake strikes me as offensive.

Rules

* All food is to be enjoyed; if you don't like it, don't eat it. Waste of Calories! (For example, savoury pastry is something I personally don't really love.)
* Don't drink sugar.
* Avoid CRAP foods (mostly)
  Carbonated sugary drinks
  Refined carbohydrates
  Artificial foods
  Processed foods
* Limit portion sizes of other foods to around 60% of what you'd like.
* Wait 4 hours between feeds unless exercising.
* Don't eat unless you're hungry.
* Don't get stuffed; it's unpleasant and unhealthy.

Don't obsess/fret over a single weight recording; the issue is a long-term trend.

A tape measure is your friend. If you are consistent with its use, it will repay you with quality information.

Steak, salad and strawberries are fine foods for an omnivore who wants to lose weight...

« Reply #7345 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:02:26 pm »
Id like to lose weight. 20 lbs over 6 months or even 8 months.
[stuff]

I lost that sort of amount, some ten years ago, over a longer time frame. I've regained about half of this during and since lockdown, enjoying much cake and chocolate…

I'm unable to weigh myself now as I'm too wobbly to stand on scales and only have clothing fit as a measure. - I'm in my 'medium' trousers. I've had these 10 years and the fabric doesn't stretch…

I made a variety of 'rules' about food and eating, mostly at home. Social eating is to be enjoyed in moderation. There are nearly 50 weeks per year that are not holiday, birthday, Christmas or New Year and it's the eating habits for these will govern long-term weight. (Short-term gains at Christmas etc mostly vanish  soon after sensible eating resumes, so long as it does resume.)

Weight loss is something consenting adults do in private. Boring others with your tales is tiresome and replying 'No way!' to an offer of cake strikes me as offensive.

Rules

* All food is to be enjoyed; if you don't like it, don't eat it. Waste of Calories! (For example, savoury pastry is something I personally don't really love.)
* Don't drink sugar.
* Avoid CRAP foods (mostly)
  Carbonated sugary drinks
  Refined carbohydrates
  Artificial foods
  Processed foods
* Limit portion sizes of other foods to around 60% of what you'd like.
* Wait 4 hours between feeds unless exercising.
* Don't eat unless you're hungry.
* Don't get stuffed; it's unpleasant and unhealthy.

Don't obsess/fret over a single weight recording; the issue is a long-term trend.

A tape measure is your friend. If you are consistent with its use, it will repay you with quality information.

Steak, salad and strawberries are fine foods for an omnivore who wants to lose weight...

Everything Helly says is right - not surprised there:)

To AndyW, as encouragement. I’m also 6’ 1” and a few year ago peaked somewhere over 15 stone:( I may have seen 15.5 stone and a bit. I blame the combination of young children and a hard job… I’ve been between 12.5 and just over 13.5 stone for a few years now. Currently at the top end of the range but not growing and knowing what I need to do to come back down.

For me the way to lose weight has been containing amount of food - all Helly’s suggestions above although some weren’t any change - and getting back to exercise as regularly as possible.

To manage food I’ve variously used keto and strict time restricted eating - once a day for a period. Ignore the macro stuff - keto was a very effective way for me to restrict calorific intake as. Just didn’t/couldn’t eat as much. Keto, however, stopped me being able to do the hard sprints bits in my running. I actually quite liked the salad and meat aspect but I struggle with the necessary ignoring of climate impact it entails. I preferred eating once a day and having a run at lunchtime.

I’m not doing that now as, at 57, I know I need resistance training as well and to maintain/gain muscle mass. So I am back to breakfast with some protein. I don’t snack and I don’t alway eat much lunch. I’m trying to eat earlier, but think I must have Spanish ancestry;)

So yes, it can be done. It takes time to reset your bodies ‘natural weight’ and I think aerobic exercise can be helpful there.

The other thing I’m pretty focused on these days is trying to maintain carb processing capability. The science is pretty clear that not being too heavy (for you!) and sustaining regular Z2 exercise is probably the best approach.

I hope that encouraging - I don’t like being at the top of the current range but looking back and in the mirror I’m very different to a few years ago.

Mike

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7346 on: 16 February, 2023, 08:29:26 pm »
If there is any 'naughty' food you particularly enjoy, don't give it up completely; go for quality, not quantity.
A 'special treat' is not really a special treat if you have it every day so leave it for something special.
One of my 'rules' is no more than one pack of 6 mince pies in any festive season. The first mince pie is *lovely* but once you've had a few, it's just 200-250 Calories you don't need.

I am pretty immobile from my MS so can't take any exercise.

I didn't do keto but I made sure my carb portions were small.

I extended the interval between feeds and made sure meals weren't too heavy.

I managed to drop from a BMI of 27 to 22.

« Reply #7347 on: 17 February, 2023, 07:58:58 am »
As Sojournermike said
To manage food I’ve variously used keto and strict time restricted eating - once a day for a period. Ignore the macro stuff - keto was a very effective way for me to restrict calorific intake as. Just didn’t/couldn’t eat as much. Keto, however, stopped me being able to do the hard sprints bits in my running. I actually quite liked the salad and meat aspect but I struggle with the necessary ignoring of climate impact it entails. I preferred eating once a day and having a run at lunchtime.

We never managed to start until after our holiday so we have been doing intermittent fasting kept for the last 10 days whilst maintaining my endurance training and weights with a weekly TSS of around 200-240 for the last few weeks.  We have both lost about 6lbs which exactly mirrors the weight loss on the same diet during lockdown 1.

Today however was the first day with sprint intervals at poerzones 5-7.  I could do a minute of zone 5, about 45 seconds of zone 6 but the legs literally refused to do more than about 20 seconds zone 7.  Brilliant reminder of the adaptation needed transitioning to a veto diet and the restriction on anaerobic activity in the adaptation phase.

(I am not recommending the diet to anyone or kept or intermittent fasting, simply giving insight into what has worked for me. If you have disagreements with the 800C diet please take them up with the Professor of diabetics in Newcastle and the NHS)

« Reply #7348 on: 17 February, 2023, 09:55:38 am »
I have lost 4kg since my surgery on the 28th January.
It's easy not to eat if it makes you feel sick.

As my opiates intake reduces and my boredom increases it will be much more difficult.

I'm trying to stick to one meal a day and two fasted days a month for this year, without self flagellating if I don't meet that.
It will be disappointing in the extreme if having had the knee replacement I still can't do the things I want to do, because I am too fat to enjoy them.

« Reply #7349 on: 17 February, 2023, 10:42:01 am »
I've lost 8.2kg since Christmas. from the heaviest I've ever been 123kg, down to 114.8kg.
That's around where I was two years ago, when I thought I really ought to do something about it.  So, this year so far feels like getting to the start line.
Back into a routine of weighing everything, counting every calorie and logging all exercise.  I've been here before, once the decision is made to do that I don't find it too hard, don't beat myself up about going over, just try and adjust the following week.   The hard bit for me, I know for a lot of people, is what comes after the weight is lost, I'm not confident I have the answer.