Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2526649 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23650 on: 04 August, 2022, 03:02:56 pm »
Recaptchas.  Just FRO and then FRO some more.  Then FOAD.

+1
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

• why would any decent person have such thoughts?
« Reply #23651 on: 04 August, 2022, 04:26:03 pm »
Ironically they don't even do anything (well, they're simply gates to discourage automation, you can click anything).

Apparently, my new Macbook is in Spain. I'm not, dear mothership. This Dell has a fan that in this heat sounds like an old man who has spent the last 70 years smoking 80 B&H a day.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets, the Putin of pandas

« Reply #23652 on: 04 August, 2022, 05:24:25 pm »
Word, you piece of shit. Stop being so fucking "helpful". If I copy and paste a URL into a document, it means I want the URL in plain text, not the sodding page title with the URL embedded as a link. It's fucking infuriating.

The internet tells me this is an Edge thing. Figures. It doesn't to this on my Mac when pasting links from Safari - I encountered it for the first time this morning while using Edge on a Surface.

The page I found offers a simple solution: don't use Edge.

Sounds like jolly good advice to me.

Now, if only I could break the pavlovian instinct I have to use Mac keyboard shortcuts that appear to do completely different things on a PC... nnnnnnnggggggg!!!

I utterly loath the current version of Word.

When you are pasting, select 'paste as plain text'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23653 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:29:46 pm »
I utterly loath the current version of Word.

The main problem with Word is it's trying to be a fully-fledged publishing platform. Stop it! Stick to being a word processor - try to do one thing well rather than doing everything badly.

Of course, part of the reason for Word developing in this direction is because that is what people use it for...

People? Idiots, the lot of them.

When you are pasting, select 'paste as plain text'.

Tried that. It just pasted the page title as plain text and lost the url altogether.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was
« Reply #23654 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:43:49 pm »
See also people using spreadsheets as databases.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23655 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:58:57 pm »
^ what could possibly go wrong...
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23656 on: 05 August, 2022, 08:45:30 pm »
Recaptchas.  Just FRO and then FRO some more.  Then FOAD.
+1

FRO & FRO
Then FRO again!

« Reply #23657 on: 07 August, 2022, 09:32:04 pm »
Centrica/Hive.  Did you have to wait for Brexit to tell us we have 3 years left before you brick all the cameras and burglar alarms you were still selling new THIS YEAR (EU law requires 10 years' support)?  And your greenwash bullshit about "focusing on eco-friendly products" looks rather hollow in the light of all the perfectly good kit that will go to landfill.

So...you will not see another penny from me.  And you can FRO with the boiler service contract too.  I'm giving it to someone else.
Through the angel rain, through the dust and the gasoline, through the cruelty of strangers, to the neon dream

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23658 on: 08 August, 2022, 04:38:01 am »
Audaxers of the world!

If you are instructed to keep to the left of those tables in order to visit the well-oiled card stamping machine that is our lovely control, then don't go to their right.  How did you manage to ride 300 km to get here?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23659 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:25:13 am »
Centrica/Hive.  Did you have to wait for Brexit to tell us we have 3 years left before you brick all the cameras and burglar alarms you were still selling new THIS YEAR (EU law requires 10 years' support)?  And your greenwash bullshit about "focusing on eco-friendly products" looks rather hollow in the light of all the perfectly good kit that will go to landfill.

So...you will not see another penny from me.  And you can FRO with the boiler service contract too.  I'm giving it to someone else.

I was fortunate to stumble across the fact that they were discontinuing all the "home security" stuff as we were just about to buy a set of kit for our house - being a bit of a Hive fan with CH/HW plus various bulbs and smart sockets/plugs around the place. 

Not sure which way to go now with the security stuff as I don't want to be in the clutches of Google or Amazon for this stuff.

« Reply #23660 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:39:44 am »
How are they 'bricking' the devices?
Literally disabling them with an update?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

« Reply #23661 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:45:18 am »

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

« Reply #23662 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:04:17 am »
Switching off the service.  They don't work at all without it.  The theory is that few people took out the optional subscription to store video longer-term (24 hrs is plenty for most, and free) so the business model didn't stack up.  Lying bastards.
Through the angel rain, through the dust and the gasoline, through the cruelty of strangers, to the neon dream

« Reply #23663 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:14:34 am »

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

Hmm, I can understand them turning off the server support for cameras (gits).

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• What’s this do?
« Reply #23664 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:02:05 am »

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.
I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.

robgul

« Reply #23665 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:03:03 am »

I don't think it's a case of "turning off your hub" - AIUI all the activity/storage etc for all the Hive stuff is at their end - what they are going to do is "stop the function" in 2025.   The Hive hub is just, if you like, an extension to your own router with its own proprietary wifi that talks to all the Hive devices and relays to Hive HQ.

robgul

« Reply #23666 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:04:47 am »

I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.

I think that may be what I just described!  (Not heard that expression before - crystal clear description!)

« Reply #23667 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:20:38 am »
You can only see the camera video via Hive.  It has no local storage or live view - it all goes via them.

« Reply #23668 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:43:15 am »
The best alternative is to just do it yourself - though that takes some technical knowledge.

I've got Hive for the heating control, and some bits of smart sockets/lights - but most of my kit is Zigbee (so entirely within my house) running to a HomeAssistant installation on a Pi. It only talks outside to connect to the Hive heating, which I don't see Hive discontinuing any time soon - but if they do I'm not worried about losing that capability.

For CCTV, best option is to put in something like a Blue Iris server and networked cameras - though these should be on their own VLAN with no outside connectivity as many of them do like to talk to China. But that way no-one can turn off your service simply because it isn't making them enough millions.

My smart remote control in the house is a Logitech Harmony. Really nice, allows you to control myriad devices in a common way. But it relies on Logitech's servers to be able to change what the controller does. They've turned off the service in the US, I can't see it lasting many more years here. I've had it for over a decade so no big financial loss, but a pain as I'll have to sort out something else.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23669 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:46:20 am »
The best alternative is to just do it yourself - though that takes some technical knowledge.

I've got Hive for the heating control, and some bits of smart sockets/lights - but most of my kit is Zigbee (so entirely within my house) running to a HomeAssistant installation on a Pi. It only talks outside to connect to the Hive heating, which I don't see Hive discontinuing any time soon - but if they do I'm not worried about losing that capability.

For CCTV, best option is to put in something like a Blue Iris server and networked cameras - though these should be on their own VLAN with no outside connectivity as many of them do like to talk to China. But that way no-one can turn off your service simply because it isn't making them enough millions.

My smart remote control in the house is a Logitech Harmony. Really nice, allows you to control myriad devices in a common way. But it relies on Logitech's servers to be able to change what the controller does. They've turned off the service in the US, I can't see it lasting many more years here. I've had it for over a decade so no big financial loss, but a pain as I'll have to sort out something else.
How does your setup compare with Kim's, which seems to require, what is to me, a scary amount of tech knowledge.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23670 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:51:44 am »
Probably a scary amount of tech knowledge for someone who isn't into IT.

My difference to Kim's is that (AIUI) she changes the firmware on WiFi connected devices. I use off the shelf zigbee devices - they are low power and don't connect outside the home.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #23671 on: 08 August, 2022, 12:19:11 pm »
Some of my stuff had open-source firmware from the factory (which is vastly preferable to cracking open glued cases to flash firmware), but shopping around for that is - in itself - a bit of effort.  You're dealing with obscure Chinese suppliers, and you really want to be electronics savvy enough to be confident that the mains stuff isn't committing any heinous crimes against electrical or fire safety.  I like the Shelly stuff because it's well-made and although not itself open source, it speaks MQTT in a way that can be integrated with open source systems like Home Assistant without any firmware modification.  Some of their stuff is easy (in a non-destructive physical access to the relevant pins sense) to re-flash with your own firmware, too.

Also, some of my kit is stuff I've designed myself from scratch.  Things like the flicker-free LED drivers and the doorbell.  That's a whole other level, but you do at least know exactly what you're getting.

Zigbee is a good approach for things like light switches, which can (by weight of numbers) be a significant investment in a way a single thermostat isn't.  They're happy talking to each other without any higher-level control.

Beardy

• What’s this do?
« Reply #23672 on: 08 August, 2022, 02:13:21 pm »
I’ve got a friend who does home automation right down to designing and building his own end devices if he can’t find a COTS device he likes. He’s recently ordered a solar electric panel array, but won’t be using any of the supplies software. At the weekend he proudly announced that he’s enabled a weather forecast feed for his HA server so that it will be able to more accurately forecast its EV supply against home usage over the coming week.

Mind ewe, I’d suggest he is some what an edge example, further out even than Kim.

« Reply #23673 on: 08 August, 2022, 04:14:27 pm »
I think Marcus JB OTP does that sort of thing too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #23674 on: 09 August, 2022, 02:41:47 pm »
WTF is wrong with bike component manufacturers?

Bikes - green transport! So if you wear out a couple of chainrings, we'll sell you a complete set of cranks, complete with three chainrings, for the same price or less, just to encourage you to throw away several times as much metal as actually necessary (mined, smelted, forged, & transported around the world, using lossa energy much of which is fossil fuel, & even recycling it uses lots of energy). We know that cranks last almost forever, so there's no need, but we don't care! We like waste! It makes us feel good that we can sneak some in past the Green Police.

And buying the bloody chainrings isn't exactly easy. Nobody seems to have everything in stock. Dammit, the manufacturers could sell packs of three for standard triples, exactly the same as bikes are sold with. But no, the ones sold individually must be made from finest unobtanium, mined from beneath a sacred mountain in a hidden land, smelted & hand-forged in fires of unicorn, before being cut & polished by craftsmen & women who've served a 20 year apprenticeship. Fuck knows what else couid explain their price.

If I had more energy I'd be trying to organise a campaign to get manufacturers to stop this wasteful crap. But I think it takes someone better organised than I am these days. If anyone feels up to the challenge I will be eternally grateful - & so will millions of other people who ride bikes.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897