Author Topic: Microwave Rice Cooker - help needed  (Read 14092 times)

Microwave Rice Cooker - help needed
« on: 05 November, 2009, 12:53:18 pm »
Hi,
I have a riceboy? microwave rice cooker which I am having trouble making the rice with. I have lost the instructions...
i seem to remember it was 1 cup of rice to 1 1/4 cups of water?
I made some last night 2 cups rice 2.5 cups of water in an 850w microwave for 14 mins and it came out like bullets and stdgy at the bottom. What am I doing wrong ?????????

Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

Re: Microwave Rice Cooker - help needed
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »
Sorry - thought you said you had a nice boy.

If you're going to microwave rice then why not just buy microwave rice ?

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2009, 01:02:59 pm »

If you're going to microwave rice then why not just buy microwave rice ?
it's cheaper in bulk..
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

iakobski

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2009, 01:08:35 pm »
Never heard of one of those (cooking in a pan is easy enough) but normally it's 2:1 on water:rice by volume.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2009, 01:31:02 pm »
850w may be the clue.  A lot of microwave gadgets are aimed at 600 and you have to tweak.  Try running it at three-quarters power.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2009, 02:12:24 pm »
I know a few people who just put water and (normal) rice in a bowl, cover it and microwave. Not sure about the amounts though.
I am nothing and should be everything

Sir Tifiable

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2009, 02:25:55 pm »
I've cooked rice in a microwave for years.

One cupful of rice (for two people) into a normal Pyrex bowl. Add boiling water so that the rice and water appear to be 50:50 in level when viewed from the side. Lid on, and in the machine on full power for 13 minutes 40s (750W microwave).

Remove and tip into a sieve, (virtually all the water should have already 'disappeared'), and rinse with a litre or so of boiling water.

Perfect every time :)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2009, 03:23:20 pm »
1 cup rice.
2 cups water.
Put in pot wiv lid.
Put in microwave full power 15 min.
Works every time.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2009, 03:25:16 pm »
we've got a little rice cooker thing, makes much fluffier rice than using a pan.  Never tried it in a microwave though..

« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »
similar to nicknack but without the lid (as I find it always boils over)

1 cup rice 2 cups boiling water
on high for 6 minutes, stir, then another 6 minutes  - put the lid on then if you need it stand for a while

we always cook our rice this way and it always works
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2009, 09:29:54 pm »
on high for 6 minutes, stir, then another 6 minutes  - put the lid on then if you need it stand for a while

Is that not longer than it takes to cook it conventionally?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2009, 11:12:33 pm »
I don't make rice in the microwave but Peli does and it's is awesome.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »
I can only cook rice in a rice cooker. Not enough water and it's too hard, too much and it's too sloppy.

"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2009, 05:41:12 pm »
did you get anywhere Rykard?

found this HELP! Desperately trying to find THE rice cooker : Techniques and help : Message Boards : Good Food Channel from 2005  -  rice boy "cooks a cup of rice to one and a half cups of water in eleven minutes"

I found this as well Rice Boy  but not quite what I was after.

This more like it www.riceboy.org.uk

« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2009, 07:50:42 am »
on high for 6 minutes, stir, then another 6 minutes  - put the lid on then if you need it stand for a while

Is that not longer than it takes to cook it conventionally?

Not on our stove - at least 15-20 minutes (and if I cook it in the microwave I can be doing other things on the stove while the rice is nuking) ...

And the microwaved rice tastes much better!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:16:45 am »
For a 700watt microwave oven :

4 minutes without the lid, stir around
           then 4 minutes without lid stir again
         finally 4 minutes with the lid on the bowl.

« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:47:07 am »
did you get anywhere Rykard?

found this HELP! Desperately trying to find THE rice cooker : Techniques and help : Message Boards : Good Food Channel from 2005  -  rice boy "cooks a cup of rice to one and a half cups of water in eleven minutes"

I found this as well Rice Boy  but not quite what I was after.

This more like it www.riceboy.org.uk

That is it , it didn't come up when I googled it.... maybe on page 37 lol
thanks a lot  :thumbsup:
Cheers
Rich

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:47:51 am »
Hi,
I have a riceboy? microwave rice cooker which I am having trouble making the rice with. I have lost the instructions...
i seem to remember it was 1 cup of rice to 1 1/4 cups of water?
I made some last night 2 cups rice 2.5 cups of water in an 850w microwave for 14 mins and it came out like bullets and stdgy at the bottom. What am I doing wrong ?????????

I have a microwave rice cooker/steamer -- mine has on inner colander/sieve bottomed pot for the rice and an outer pot in which this sits and a perforated lid?

If yours is similar,  this is what I do:-

For basmati rice:  soak rice in cold water for 15 mins first (I just put the rice in the rice cooker and fill with cold water.  Drain then rinse the rice under running cold water for a while (I just leave it in the inner colander bit and wave it around under the tap for a while).  Cover rice with boiling water, allowing about 1 - 2 cm of water above the level of the rice.  Stir to separate the grains then microwave for  6 minutes, and allow to stand for 4.   (I have a 900W microwave and do this on full).  This seems to produce fluffy, yet firm (i.e. not stodgy) rice.  The key is to get the water level at the start such that by the end of the cooking time it has boiled down well below the level of the rice so that the rice steams rather than boils.  (My stove-top method for Basmati is rather similar to this... taken from the Curry Bible cookbook by Pat Chapman)

You can, if you're flavouring the rice with whole spices (e.g. cardamons, cloves, cinnamon/cassia bark etc) put these in the outer part of the pot so they're already separated from the rice once you pull out the inner pot to drain it.

For brown rice, the microwave cooking time is about the same as the hob (the variety I buy wants about 25 mins in both methods).  No need to soak or rinse.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #18 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:16:26 am »
Just be aware that different rice requires different amounts of water. Japanese sushi rice etc is closer to 1 to 1 (cup of rice to cup of water), and long grain is 2 to 1 etc.  It's trial and error to start with with any type of rice.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:45:05 pm »
Massive excess of water, boil til done, drain, rinse.  Never had a problem.  Never understood all this water-measuring either. ???
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2009, 04:03:28 pm »
Massive excess of water, boil til done, drain, rinse.  Never had a problem.  Never understood all this water-measuring either. ???

If you 'steam' rice, there's no excess water or draining. All the water is absorbed by the rice.  No draining, no rinsing.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2009, 06:39:52 pm »
When I was at school, the Chinese & Japanese contingent all seemed to have electric rice cookers in their dorms. IIRC, they used a sort of spring loaded base to work out when the correct amount of water had evaporated to determine when the rice was done. However they worked, they produced top grub.
I think the spring is just to detect when the bowl's been placed in the cooker in case it's switched on empty. You still need to measure the rice/water though they come with a measuring cup for the rice and graduation marks on the bowl for the water.
I am nothing and should be everything

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 19 November, 2009, 08:09:02 pm »

If you have to drain and rinse, you're doing it wrong. All the water should be absorbed by the rice (or steamed off)

« Reply #23 on: 19 November, 2009, 09:16:15 pm »
mine still comes out stodgy  :(
Cheers
Rich

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 19 November, 2009, 10:02:57 pm »
Wrong?

Have you tasted how wrong and nasty my rice isn't?   :demon:

If it's precise, it can go wrong.  Stodge and burned bottoms, woe and turmoil.  Massive excess is everyone's friend.