Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 128956 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #700 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:55:32 am »
I splashed out on some Small Batch filter roast. It's where I'd go for a nice cup of filter from work, when I need a change from work espresso (I know, 1st world problems is over there). Anyway, still tasty.

« Reply #701 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:23:06 am »
Today if I can find a kettle lead I will be trying out a Russell Hobbs / Wedgwood coffee percolator that looks exactly like this one:

I found this at the back of a cupboard when clearing my Mum and Dads house out. I haven't see a peculator bar a moka pot type one for decades so this bit of 70s retro might be fun.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #702 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:28:43 am »
It seem Russell Hobbs designed the worlds first electric coffee peculator the CP1 in 1952. Mines a CP3 but looks very much the same bar the floral design and 70s colours.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #703 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:30:12 am »
Good luck with that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #704 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:10:44 am »
I bought a kilo of Lavazza Classic 100% arabica from Waitrose last week.

It is shite.

« Reply #705 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:20:39 am »
I bought a kilo of Lavazza Classic 100% arabica from Waitrose last week.

It is shite.

The golds not very good either. The only one I like is the Qualità Rossa but that's in a drip machine not an espresso machine.

« Reply #706 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
The CP3 is up and running. The indicator light doesn't seem to work but maybe that comes on when its brewed.
Its rattling and bubbling away.

« Reply #707 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:57:23 am »
And it worked and the little light came on when it had finished. A bit bitter. Might try using boiling water next time.

« Reply #708 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »
No! doesn't work. It depends on pulsing up the water and turns off when the bottom temperature reaches 80 or some such. That's really as good as it gets. Put it together with something like "Lyons Coffee" if you want something authentic and possibly more drinkable

« Reply #709 on: 13 July, 2020, 12:30:24 pm »
No! doesn't work. It depends on pulsing up the water and turns off when the bottom temperature reaches 80 or some such. That's really as good as it gets. Put it together with something like "Lyons Coffee" if you want something authentic and possibly more drinkable

Thanks for the warning on using boiling water. I think your right re trying a coffee that's less bitter to start with. To be honest its not going to get much use, more of a curiosity and I'm fond of the styling and the fact it was my Mums's. Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #710 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:12:24 pm »
Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

Didn't think there was any.  No, wait! Sag bags. They were great. <google, google> Oh. They call them bean bags these days. "Sag bag" seems to be an impolite anatomical epithet.

« Reply #711 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:33:26 pm »
Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

Didn't think there was any.

Don't tell Bang & Olufson that:

1970s Beomaster 2400

« Reply #712 on: 08 September, 2020, 06:01:53 am »
Nescafe Gold Blend. I ran out of proper coffee. I was sure there was a packet of emergency Lavazza Rosso at the back of the cupboard but nope there wasn't ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #713 on: 08 September, 2020, 07:57:23 am »
Not a bad idea, that ^^^.  Packed in nitrogen, isn't it, so that it doesn't oxidize? Though I suspect they all are these days.

Last year the mayor & council gave us a basket of goodies for our 50th wedding anniversary.  It included a packet of pre-ground Grand-Mère coffee, which is what Cleo could have used for lack of an asp. We still have it: we might hand it down to our kids for use as a doorstop.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #714 on: 30 March, 2021, 01:15:59 pm »
I need to re-up my stock of Chemex filters. Whenever I do this, I use it as an excuse to buy some decent coffee at the same time (helps to fill out the order and offset delivery charges).

So, where's good for buying coffee online these days that also sells Chemex filters? I tend to default to hasbean but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, any actual coffee recommendations would be welcome - anything that's good for filter, bearing in mind I tend to drink it long with milk.

Lately, my staple has been Aldi's 'Specially Selected' Colombian, which is fine for maintaining my blood caffeine levels, but not exactly the serious gourmet shit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #715 on: 30 March, 2021, 01:22:15 pm »
Pretty much anything African for filter, especially Ethiopian

« Reply #716 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:03:12 am »
Been mulling over which roasters to recommend but not sure I can as I've not been very eclectic in my choice for at least 5 years. Problem is some of them are a triumph of marketing over substance. Websites that evoke thoughts of 19th century Red brick warehouses with rough wood fittings reclaimed from the sea. Silhouetted bare-chested black-bearded men showered in red sparks as they flame the beans, their raw deep testosterone voices singing sea shanties. Bags in monochrome colours with labels that look hand made on a 1970s typewriter. But coffee that  tastes like cardboard.

I've always found Extract to be pretty good though (although I only ever buy their espresso blends)

citoyen

« Reply #717 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:06:27 pm »
Problem is some of them are a triumph of marketing over substance. Websites that evoke thoughts of 19th century Red brick warehouses with rough wood fittings reclaimed from the sea. Silhouetted bare-chested black-bearded men showered in red sparks as they flame the beans, their raw deep testosterone voices singing sea shanties. Bags in monochrome colours with labels that look hand made on a 1970s typewriter. But coffee that  tastes like cardboard.

I know exactly what you mean. And there are just soooo many of them now. Fucking hipsters.

Looking around, it seems to be pretty much impossible to get Chemex filters at the moment anyway - absolutely no one has them in stock. I might need to revert to the cafetière...  :o

« Reply #718 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:19:26 pm »
Forgive my ignorance but do chemex need proprietory filters? There may be some generic ones on ebay

citoyen

« Reply #719 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:59:20 pm »
Chemex needs conical filters rather than the Melitta-style ones with a flat edge - similar to the Hario V60, but larger. Also the proprietary Chemex filters are noticeably heavier/thicker, which supposedly gives better results. Those considerations aside, no special reason to use proprietary Chemex filters - I just need to find some the right size. Ebay is not a bad shout, I'll have a look.

I also have a 101 size (single cup) Melitta cone, but getting filters for that has always been a pain - they're widely available in France (or used to be), but have never been common in the UK. A plastic V60 cone is cheap enough, maybe I should just get one of those.

I have the Aeropress too, of course - and a plentiful supply of filter papers for that.

ETA: some online research suggests that Cafec are a good quality alternative brand for filters. Might try those.

« Reply #720 on: 31 March, 2021, 01:47:38 pm »
You could always try Jemex

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #721 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:47:16 pm »
Since our espresso machine blew a gasket a couple of weeks ago we've been drinking filter coffee (usually a Colombian blend), and have now bought a 'Clever Dripper' while we decide what to do next. 
Am impressed by the quality of the brew from the Dripper, and the lack of faff.  Might even stick with the new device once we've found the most satisfactory grind/brew time/coffee variety. Can't say we're really coffee connoisseurs, and once the coffee shops re-open we'll be able to satisfy espresso/capuccino craving without the faff.

« Reply #722 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:06:56 am »
Faff you say. Don't ever buy a vacuum coffee maker then  ;)

Either espresso machine (least faff of all methods for me) or simple cone filter for me. Not a huge fan of cafetiere (always makes me feel a bit sick, plus caffeine content is enormous), nor aeropress (stewy flavour to my taste buds). Vacuum is fun and results are good but the faffage and cleaning outweigh this. Never tried a chemex, but not sure how/why it would differ from cone filter.

Speaking of which, time for second breakfast flat white...

« Reply #723 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:03:12 am »
I believe there are machines which can display personal messages on their display, so may be possible to get one to say Hello.

« Reply #724 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:05:33 am »
You wouldn't believe just how upset some people would be by that...