Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 396110 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2900 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:43:30 am »
I’m pleased to be able to say with some confidence that is highly unlikely - they work with InCopy/InDesign, which for all their faults have the major plus of not being PowerPoint.

Mind you, i found myself longing for PowerPoint yesterday when I had to* work on a 120-page Google Slides presentation… The document was a pitch for a fairly big piece of work. I spoke to one of the senior account managers and she said the client had specifically asked for it to be presented in this format, which is just mental.

But the whole thing could have been condensed into around 10 pages - and would have been much better for it.

*Yes, I could have turned down the work, but while I’m between jobs I thought it would be prudent to accept it, plus it was helping out a mate.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2901 on: 24 May, 2022, 08:54:54 pm »
GN was out picking some parts up at work so got home a bit early

BN as I walked in heard a odd noise and went through to kitchen where our dog was being sick all over his bed

GN well at least had time to wash it all and get it on the line

citoyen

« Reply #2902 on: 27 May, 2022, 06:44:10 pm »
BN: made redundant on Friday, with no immediate prospect of other employment.

GN: got a call yesterday afternoon asking if I’m available for interview today at 12

GN+: they offered me the job just before 6pm today

Crikey. Slightly shell shocked. Think I shall allow myself a beer to celebrate.

BN: it's taken them forever to sort out the admin at their end, so I'm still officially "between jobs"...

GN: lots of time in the garden enjoying the sunshine

GN: and I finally got the formal offer letter today, and they're starting the "onboarding" process.

BN: forms, forms, forms... also, I'm perfectly happy for them to check my employment history, but it's complicated by the fact that the last three companies I worked for (before the one I just left) no longer exist, so contacting them for references will be rather tricky... I worry this is going to make life unnecessarily complicated... ugh!

« Reply #2903 on: 27 May, 2022, 07:29:42 pm »

GN: got a call yesterday afternoon asking if I’m available for interview today at 12

BN: it's taken them forever to sort out the admin at their end, so I'm still officially "between jobs"...

GN: and I finally got the formal offer letter today, and they're starting the "onboarding" process.

BN: forms, forms, forms... also, I'm perfectly happy for them to check my employment history, but it's complicated by the fact that the last three companies I worked for (before the one I just left) no longer exist, so contacting them for references will be rather tricky... I worry this is going to make life unnecessarily complicated... ugh!
Sounds like a right pain. G'luck with it.

citoyen

« Reply #2904 on: 27 May, 2022, 09:03:52 pm »

Sounds like a right pain. G'luck with it.
First word problems, innit? But thanks!

ian

« Reply #2905 on: 27 May, 2022, 09:19:32 pm »
Does anyone even do references anymore?

citoyen

« Reply #2906 on: 28 May, 2022, 12:52:38 am »

I think it's mostly about verifying your claim that you were an employee of X company between these dates with this job title. People are too scared of litigation to offer anything more than that.

It all gets a bit complicated when your personal circumstances don't fit the forms neatly, so they start to ask awkward questions. Not that I've got anything to hide, but what it says on my CV doesn't tell the full story (not a lie, just doesn't spell out all the boring details, for the sake of brevity).

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2907 on: 28 May, 2022, 10:29:59 am »

Yes.

« Reply #2908 on: 28 May, 2022, 01:04:37 pm »

It all gets a bit complicated when your personal circumstances don't fit the forms neatly, so they start to ask awkward questions. Not that I've got anything to hide, but what it says on my CV doesn't tell the full story (not a lie, just doesn't spell out all the boring details, for the sake of brevity).

Whose CV tells the whole story? It’s two sides to lay claim to the right skills, and outline your career. At some point either detail or two sides has to give.

If there’s big gaps I can imagine that would be of interest. Oh, in 2012 you joined a cult? You’ll fit right in here.

Coping with companies that don’t exist anymore is something all employers will have to do. I’ve given a person rather than a company before in that situation.

I do occasionally get asked to give a reference. I’ll say more than “x was a y between a and b” if I can. But, outside of academia, they are mostly confirming that some bit of the cv is legit. They rarely seem to be more than a formality.

Oh, and well done on the job / good luck with the forms!

ian

« Reply #2909 on: 28 May, 2022, 10:27:15 pm »
I occasionally get asked for references though I send those to HR (in a thrilling break from the usual, we have a People team). I have never seen a reference ever, hence my question. A former colleague of mine has a very florid CV that only has a casual relationship with his actual career to date. That said, he works in sales so maybe it’s a good sign. If he can’t sell himself, after all.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2910 on: 29 May, 2022, 06:23:18 pm »
GN: Some big piles of wood have appeared in our neighbours garden, so soon we should have a fence for the first time in 7 months or whatever that was.

BN: Something else for me to paint.
I'm hoping this 'yorkshire style' fence will be easier and quicker to paint than the crappy overlap panels.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2911 on: 13 June, 2022, 12:29:17 pm »
Bah: Oooh, that’s not a bad price, said Mr Larrington as he poked and prodded the webby SCIENCE of BRITISH Airways.  Oh.  Wait.  You want to take The Luggage with you?  That’ll be another sixty nicker.  Biggest piece of robdoggery since Air Canuckistan published ticket prices without mentioning that you had to pay an extra £35 each way for a fucking seat >:(

Hurrah: Used some of my Best Western Reward Points such that the first night’s stay on September's anabasis to Battle Mountain cost the princely sum of $0.00 :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2912 on: 14 June, 2022, 03:42:35 am »

« Reply #2913 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:45:30 am »
GN - Got a message saying A12 which I go on for work was shut  so made a quick tea for the journey and left a bit early. The GN is that it had reopened and got to work faster then usual

BN was at work 35 minutes too early

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2914 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:03:20 am »
then you can leave 35 mins early and miss the traffic home
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2915 on: 27 June, 2022, 02:32:33 pm »
Hurrah: B&Q had gardening gloves for only three of the BRITONS' pounds :thumbsup:

Bah: Now I have no excuse not to massacre thee Horble Spiky Bush ov Doom, or the Tapping-on-the-Window shrub >:(

And the latter is urgent because it’s the Great Hall window it taps on, and the Tour starts on Friday.  The former only guards the gas meter.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2916 on: 09 July, 2022, 07:43:30 pm »
Good news: our water bill has gone down.

Bad news: I blame the low water pressure, at 5.5l/minute we’d be hard pressed to run up a massive bill. The shower is too hot to be long and leisurely for a start.

Good news: water board will come and have a look. Though it’s Southern, so I’ll reserve judgement on just how good that news is until they’ve been.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2917 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:11:46 pm »
Bad news. Recently discovered that my passport was 4 months out of date.

Posted old one off to them on 7th July.

Good news.  TNT have just delivered my new one. A better turnaround than I was expecting.

Even more GN.  I'm not going anywhere for at least 2 months.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2918 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:30:04 pm »
Bad news. Recently discovered that my passport was 4 months out of date.

Posted old one off to them on 7th July.

Good news.  TNT have just delivered my new one. A better turnaround than I was expecting.

Even more GN.  I'm not going anywhere for at least 2 months.

That's a similar turnaround to mine last week. Though mine hadn't quite expired when I noticed. ;D

« Reply #2919 on: 18 July, 2022, 02:50:23 pm »

Bad news: I blame the low water pressure, at 5.5l/minute we’d be hard pressed to run up a massive bill. The shower is too hot to be long and leisurely for a start.

Good news: water board will come and have a look. Though it’s Southern, so I’ll reserve judgement on just how good that news is until they’ve been.

Good luck. Thames Water’s response to our low pressure - occasionally too low to fill the loft tank - was to tell us their remit was water at a kitchen tap. No minimum flow or pressure. Luckily one hot spell it affected our neighbour, and his insurance (one of those covering utilities) “found a leak” (we all knew it was a crushed pipe under a neighbouring extension). Anyway they pigged a nice new main in for us.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2920 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:24:30 pm »

Good luck. Thames Water’s response to our low pressure - occasionally too low to fill the loft tank - was to tell us their remit was water at a kitchen tap. No minimum flow or pressure. Luckily one hot spell it affected our neighbour, and his insurance (one of those covering utilities) “found a leak” (we all knew it was a crushed pipe under a neighbouring extension). Anyway they pigged a nice new main in for us.
Southern’s website says 9l/minute. They cancelled and rebooked to August though. So, no update yet.

« Reply #2921 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:51:25 am »
GN
After living with 50-year-old carpet for a year, we finally have new hall, stairs and landing carpet fitted.

BN
I now have to adjust 10 doors so that they clear the new carpet. Bugger.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #2922 on: 03 August, 2022, 06:12:42 pm »
GN: it only cost £5.32 to add my missus back on to the insurance for my car.

BN: The 35 minutes on the phone cost us £5.07.

GN: The £5.07 was at no cost; included in our call package.

« Reply #2923 on: 03 August, 2022, 06:55:35 pm »

Southern’s website says 9l/minute. They cancelled and rebooked to August though. So, no update yet.
Southern came and demonstrated perfectly good pressure at the meter.
GN: A plumber came and fiddled with the stop cock and got good pressure. So it’s not something buried that’s got squashed.
BN: It was back to low pressure by the evening. Another fiddle improved things. So maybe it’s time to get our antique stopcock replaced.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2924 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:27:31 pm »

Southern came and demonstrated perfectly good pressure at the meter.
GN: A plumber came and fiddled with the stop cock and got good pressure. So it’s not something buried that’s got squashed.
BN: It was back to low pressure by the evening. Another fiddle improved things. So maybe it’s time to get our antique stopcock replaced.

That reminds me of a line from the Goons
"Where's your stop cock?"
"I don't know cock"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens