Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425953 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #2050 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:40:20 am »
As I predicted month #9 hasn't happened. Still not good in enough shape post COVID to ride a 200 this month.

(And it was more like month #10 as veloboy and I did a recce for The Way to Sea in February, which was before AUK started validating rides again)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2051 on: 06 December, 2021, 10:05:42 pm »
December #1 done on Friday with a very late test ride of Tour of the Ochils originally planned for end of November but Arwen got in the way, despite strong cold winds and a forecast favouring the entrants I got the better day which isn't saying much!

Hopefully get #2 done on Saturday otherwise I'm starting very early on Sunday to make my own 40th birthday party... Feck.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2052 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:46:01 pm »
I started in November last year with a DIY and did another in December

I then restarted once we were allowed:
April - Valley of the Rocks 200 AAA3.75
May - Neville Chanin Memorial 200 AAA2.75
June - Tour of the Berwyns 200 AAA2.75
July - Kidderminster Killer 200 AAA3.75
August - Pendle Witch Trial 200 AAA 3.5
September - Velos' Indian Summer Secret 200 AAA2.25
October - Tour of Rheged 200 AAA3
November - Mr Pickwick's Cymraeg Cyrch 200 AAA0
November - DIY100 AAA2.25

I want to do the RRtY properly which means going through until March, plus I will try to get the AAARtY at the same time. I don't fancy a hilly 200 in the winter so this means doing a flattish 200 and a hilly 100 in December and January, then:

February - Up and Down Like a Yo-Yo 200 AAA3 - entered
March - tba, but likely to be Mad March River too Far to complete both RRtY and AAARtY

« Reply #2053 on: 13 December, 2021, 11:30:01 am »
Two more DIY 200's to keep RRtY number 5 going.  Both from home:

10th November - up the coast to South Shields, for the ferry.  Midweek so it was running every half hour from 6.45am.  Then continuing up the coast to Blyth, where I turned inland past Cramlington and onto the quieter lanes in Northumberland.  Busy traffic on parts of this so I was happy to use the cyclepath even though it meant a couple of delays where I had to cross slip roads.  Down to Chollerford and then Hexham, again using a nice cyclepath which follows the river into Hexham.  My favourite sections of road and path along the River Tyne to Newburn, then mostly urban grot through Chester-le-Street and back home.  The ride didn't go entirely to plan, ran out of battery for the garmin but luckily I had a backup.

12th December - unusually mild Saturday night into Sunday so I made a very early start, to do the same route but in the opposite direction.  Main target was to get to the ferry before the last one at 6.00pm, although if I was that late I would be outside the time limit anyway.  Lovely night ride for the first few hours with just a handful of drivers out and about and once away from the streetlights, pitch black with only my bike light to guide me.  No wind so as it gradually became light I could hear a few birds starting to stir.  A bit more trafficky for the last stretch with a couple of egregiously stupid drivers in Cramlington and crowded shared paths in North Tyneside meant slow progress.  Overall a nice day out and for once everything went according to plan.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #2054 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:24:07 pm »
So I’m going to give the RRtY a go, this year. So far I’ve got booked in;

Jan - Willy warmer 200k
Feb - Winter Boat ride 200k
March - Gently Bentley 200k
April - LWL 400k
May - Bryan Chapman 600k or Dauntsey Dawdle 400k
June - Ditchling Devil 200k perm.
July - London-Anglesey-London 1000k

I’ll worry about the second half of the year, later, but it will probably be 200k events after LAL.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2055 on: 19 December, 2021, 01:31:21 pm »

My RRTY was helped enormously by advice from El Supremo who suggested i had a handy 200k perm near me on the books and try to ride it at the start of the month, to have it safely ridden as soon as possible, just in case. There was a handy one best me and i rode it half a dozen times that year, sometimes clockwise, or anti clock. Signing up for calendar events is a bit of a risk and you might find Real Life means you can't ride that event. Working out a 200k DIY by GPS from your front door is a wise move, as well.
Also: you can "like" on Facebook, or follow on Twitter, your local countyy council roads gritting team and they'll tell you when the road surface temperature will drop below freezing and where they'll be gritting the roads. Very useful.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2056 on: 19 December, 2021, 04:03:12 pm »
Dunnoh about England but Scottish councils are required to publish their gritting priorities, most have it on their website as a map, so only need to follow the roads Twitter accounts to see when they plan to be out.

« Reply #2057 on: 24 December, 2021, 11:13:08 am »

My RRTY was helped enormously by advice from El Supremo who suggested i had a handy 200k perm near me on the books and try to ride it at the start of the month, to have it safely ridden as soon as possible, just in case. There was a handy one best me and i rode it half a dozen times that year, sometimes clockwise, or anti clock. Signing up for calendar events is a bit of a risk and you might find Real Life means you can't ride that event. Working out a 200k DIY by GPS from your front door is a wise move, as well.
Also: you can "like" on Facebook, or follow on Twitter, your local countyy council roads gritting team and they'll tell you when the road surface temperature will drop below freezing and where they'll be gritting the roads. Very useful.

Thanks for that. Yes, I’ve got a 200km perm that starts really close to my front door and I was thinking that if I do a calendar event near the end of the month then that would be very risky. I might look at investigating my own diy route down to the coast, that I can use too.

« Reply #2058 on: 24 December, 2021, 01:12:01 pm »
Dunnoh about England but Scottish councils are required to publish their gritting priorities, most have it on their website as a map, so only need to follow the roads Twitter accounts to see when they plan to be out.

When out in winter DIYs I’ve timed it so perfectly that I sometimes get gritted, twice! Our council has an online map of priority and secondary gritting routes.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2059 on: 25 December, 2021, 08:17:07 am »
April - Snow Hare 200 Helpers Ride
May - Reiver Fever 300
June - Debatable Lands 200
July - Four Tops 222
August - DIY 200
September - Talla Ho 200
October - Scottish Borders Randonnee 200

First attempt at a RRTY, never thought about it when living in Stornoway - too many DIYs in short daylight hours with the majority of cafes closed. Looking to complete by my 61st birthday in March. Next event is Long Dark Tea Time of an Audax Soul in November then onto DIYs.

Knocked by a bad cold/chest infection in November. Back to square one, may take until Feb to get my fitness back :(

« Reply #2060 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:03:22 am »
January DIY yesterday.  I usually do some sort of bike ride on New Year's Day to celebrate the start of the year and in view of the mild weather did a 200k.  Start / finish Aldbrough St John for a fairly flat route up and down the Vale of York.

First three hours in darkness with nobody about.  As I got to Thirsk it got light but the dawn was a bit feeble as it was still cloudy.  There must have been a lot of rain in recent days.  South of Thirsk, where the road dipped under the railway line there was a flood.  Avoiding it would have meant backtracking and a long detour from the planned route, so I carried on through the water.

(click to show/hide)

The blustery wind seemed to move round a bit more to a Westerly, so I didn't get as much of a tailwind as I'd hoped on the way back.  Despite this, lovely sunny afternoon and very little traffic even on a couple of short sections of main road.  The only exception was the minor road from Lower Dunsforth to Boroughbridge.  Lots of big 4 x 4 vehicles, people in tweeds and Barbour jackets - out to watch the Hunt I assume.  Obviously they wouldn't actually see any foxes being torn to pieces by the Hounds as that is illegal.... slow progress for a mile or so, dodging the big vehicles parked on the roadside and squeezing past each other.

Then quiet roads again and a spectacular sunset as the sun disappeared behind a red glow and a couple of clouds.  So that's ride number 6 of the current series - halfway there.

« Reply #2061 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:21:14 am »
(click to show/hide)

I did something similar last February.  In conclusion I decided to strip my wheel hubs and regrease the bearings.

« Reply #2062 on: 02 January, 2022, 12:52:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I did something similar last February.  In conclusion I decided to strip my wheel hubs and regrease the bearings.

Good point - once I've cleaned all the muck off, of course.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2063 on: 05 January, 2022, 05:34:32 pm »
Month/Attempt No56
MaySnow Hare 4Moscow Express
JuneLantern RougeDIY 200 (Moulin Muirs route sheet test)
JulySolway C2C2C July EditionDIY Panic 300
AugustToBaGRothes Recce
SeptemberBorder Nights (My revenge)Talla Ho
OctoberCheviot Coasts and CastlesMoulin Muirs
NovemberLong Dark Windy TeatimeOch Hills test ride DIY
DecemberTour of the Ochils Org RideDukes Pass DIY
January
February
March
April

I'd normally ride on the 1st but I was up till 5am enjoying myself and had conveniently left the bike at home, spent the 4 days recovering (I don't drink so... yikes age...) so hopefully I'll get January's in over the next couple of weekends.
Plan is to have a bit of a break from RRTY after these 2, hopefully not due to injury or lurgy!

« Reply #2064 on: 25 January, 2022, 03:35:34 pm »

Jan - Willy warmer 200k
Feb - Winter Boat ride 200k
March - Gently Bentley 200k
April - LWL 400k
May - Bryan Chapman 600k or Dauntsey Dawdle 400k
June - Ditchling Devil 200k perm.
July - London-Anglesey-London 1000k

I’ll worry about the second half of the year, later, but it will probably be 200k events after LAL.

So I fell at the first hurdle. Had to DNS The Willy Warmer as I caught Covid over the Christmas break and I was still feeling pretty bad by the time the event came around. I will hopefully be ok for the February event but just taking it easy at the moment.

« Reply #2065 on: 26 January, 2022, 07:43:44 pm »
It was pretty cold during Willy Warmer. Not a day to be out if not 100%

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2066 on: 06 February, 2022, 03:29:16 pm »
Month/Attempt No56
AugustToBaGRothes Recce
JanuaryChip Run DIY 1Chip Run DIY 2 (TBC)
FebruaryAn excuse to use the Kilcreggan Ferry (TBC)
March
April

I'd normally ride on the 1st but I was up till 5am enjoying myself and had conveniently left the bike at home, spent the 4 days recovering (I don't drink so... yikes age...) so hopefully I'll get January's in over the next couple of weekends.
Plan is to have a bit of a break from RRTY after these 2, hopefully not due to injury or lurgy!

Well I developed the lurgy in January but still got out twice, and have got Februarys #1 submitted.

« Reply #2067 on: 08 February, 2022, 06:48:15 pm »
Waiting to claim #5 but seems to be a bit of a backlog in processing.  C'est la vie.
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #2068 on: 07 March, 2022, 02:35:52 pm »
2012 :thumbsup:
2013 :thumbsup:
2014 :thumbsup:
2015 :thumbsup:
2016 :thumbsup:
2017 :thumbsup:
2018 :thumbsup:
2019 :thumbsup:
2020/21 :thumbsup:

2022 :
DIY By GPS 200 22 January 2022 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 27 February 2022 :thumbsup:
Och Hills 200 5 March 2022 :thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2069 on: 07 March, 2022, 03:08:43 pm »
Month/Attempt No56
AugustToBaGRothes Recce
JanuaryChip Run DIY 1Chip Run DIY 2
FebruaryAn excuse to use the Kilcreggan FerryAudax Ecosse do The Somme aka Tour of East Lothian, god that was Wet and Muddy
MarchLantern Rouging Och Hills then an ECE to 300... What was I thinkingDIY from North Berwick to the hoose, planned to take advantage of a stiff South Easterly, but had south and east bound sections  :facepalm:
April

Getting ever closer, although #6 had a bit of a wobble in January when the Tracklog uploader failed to e-mail the DIY co-ordinator, note to self just e-mail it.

« Reply #2070 on: 22 March, 2022, 06:11:15 pm »
RRTY number 5 was completed in February 2020, in the before-times.
I have just finished RRTY 6.

April 2021 - Gently Bentley 200
May - Hop Garden 200
Jun - Dauntsey Dawdle 400
Jul - Way to the Sea 200
Aug - Rowlands Ramble 200
Sep - Seashore 200
Oct - Brace of Bramleys 200
Nov - Upper Thames 200
Dec - South of Bucks Winter Warmer 200
Jan - Ditchling Devil Perm 200
Feb - DIY Perm 200
Mar - DIY Perm 200

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2071 on: 22 March, 2022, 06:49:08 pm »
RRTY 3 complete
April 2021  - DIY 200
May - new forest excursion
June - DIY 200
July - Fenland friends
August - Essex R&R 200
September - ACME Grand
October -DIY200
November - upper thames
December Winter warmer
January poor student
february - diy 200
march - diy 200   ;D

Eddington  127miles, 170km

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #2072 on: 27 March, 2022, 10:15:15 am »
2006     :thumbsup:           
2007      :thumbsup:     
2008        :thumbsup:   
2009            :'( crashed and burned after 10 months
2010          :thumbsup:
2011  X5      :thumbsup:         
2012            :thumbsup:
2013   double          :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
2014  double x10   :thumbsup:
2015 double x12 also GdS Platinum (10 years) :thumbsup:
2016 x 13 :thumbsup:
2017 x 14 :thumbsup:
2018 x 15 :thumbsup:
2019 x16  :thumbsup:
2020/21 x17  :thumbsup:

23.10.21 Ouse-Itchen DIY 200
6.11.21 Home- Grain - London DIY 200
5.12.21 ShoreSea DIY 200
22.1.22  Cathedrals 200 DIY Winchester - Sailsbury -Tiverton / 23.1.22 Cathedrals 200 DIY Tiverton - Exeter - Truro
5.2.22 Cathedrals 200 DIY Taunton - Wells - Bristol - Oxford (10/42)
19.3.22 Ship of the Fens DIY 200
26.3.22 Cathedrals 200 DIY Cheltenham - Gloucester - Hereford - Worcester - Coventry (14/42)

x18  :thumbsup:

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2073 on: 27 March, 2022, 01:09:35 pm »
Just sent in a claim for #3 and #4, both running from April 2021 until March 2022 

And #5 is already under way, as I did three DIY rides in February and March :thumbsup:

« Reply #2074 on: 27 March, 2022, 01:42:28 pm »
Oct 20   El Supremo's Seaford Yalding 200 Perm. Rained from start to finish. Note to self "always look at the weather forecast"

Nov 20   Ditchling Devil 200 Perm. Covid stops play.

Dec 20   El Supremo's Hailsham Liss 200 perm

April -  DIY South east

May  -   Hop garden 200

June  -  Tan Hill.   Probably the best 200 I have done. Weather was perfect.

July -    10 Peaks Audacious Challenge. AAA 4.5.  The hardest 200 I have done. Do it!

Aug -    Man of Kent 200

Sept -   Seashore 200

Nov -    Its a Wonderful Weald 100 + Ece

Dec -    Diy 200 S east

Jan -     Diy 200 s e

Feb -    Diy 200 s e

Mar -    Diy 200 s e

Might continue until LEJOG in July.

Happy peddling.