Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422304 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #325 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:45:05 am »

Thanks Danial! You've played a large part in this!

Another imposition on your time and kindness in the post today.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #326 on: 11 April, 2010, 09:59:28 am »
Provided that either my Arrow or my DIY 200 home are OKd - then that completes 5 RRTY - which include a lot of DIY rides - some OZ rides and two double RRTY.
Now what? do I keep going on the doubles?
Rog
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #327 on: 11 April, 2010, 10:14:47 am »
Provided that either my Arrow or my DIY 200 home are OKd - then that completes 5 RRTY - which include a lot of DIY rides - some OZ rides and two double RRTY.
Now what? do I keep going on the doubles?
Rog

Well done Fidgebuzz, plenty of variations such as RRTY by 300s or 400s or 600s only or RRTY on Fixed only, AAARTY. Longer events, B5000, B25000, ACP B25000. A target of so many AAA points maybe. ISR ?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #328 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »
Completing the Brevet Cymru 400 today rounds of another RRTY to bring up No11.  And it also keeps my first AAARRTY going. Today's ride brought back memories of mid-winter rides; the only missing element was snow (hail substituted).

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

mikewigley

« Reply #329 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:45:10 pm »
another RRTY  ... also keeps my first AAARRTY going

It hadn't occured before, but riding 12 monthly 200s which happen to have AAA points will entitle you to both the RRTY and AAARTY, with the sames rides qualifying for two separate awards.  A regulation along the lines of "no event can count towards more than one award" would be unworkable

So if you rode just 12 events in one season, 9 x 200km, a 300, a 400 and a 600, riding one event each month, and each event having AAA points, you could have

an SR
  an RRTY
  an AAARRTY
  an AAA SR
  a Brevet 1000 (5 x 200)
  31 championship points
  at least 3 AAA points (at 1/4 point per event)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #330 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
Yes, but for now 3 of my AAA winter rides are tiddlers, 2x50k (Dec, Jan) and 1x100k (Feb).  So for an AAASR, I need to complete the BCM600, the Snowdon & Coast 400 (a 2nd 400 cos I am on hols for the Peacocks & Kites 300).  Then, I need to do my Gospel Pass 200 Perm (or other AAA 200) every month Jul 10 through to Feb 11.  Oh dear, another Challenge!

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

simonp

« Reply #331 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
*tries not to notice he's now got March, April, May bagged*

Lalalalala I can't hear you.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #332 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
So if you rode just 12 events in one season, 9 x 200km, a 300, a 400 and a 600, riding one event each month, and each event having AAA points, you could have

Surely the minimum AAA points you could get for each ride would be 0.75, for a 50km section with 750m of climbing?

Martin

« Reply #333 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:21:00 pm »

Surely the minimum AAA points you could get for each ride would be 0.75, for a 50km section with 750m of climbing?

doesn't the "hilly section" only apply to 100km and + sections of longer rides? 50's can have AAAs but only in their own right.

Mike; you'd have shedloads more AAAs than that; each AAA 200 alone would be worth 2.75 under the new rules.

mikewigley

« Reply #334 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:20:46 am »
you'd have shedloads more AAAs than that; each AAA 200 alone would be worth 2.75 under the new rules.

Oh yes, I've just read how the new AAA points are awarded and you are right.  I had got in my head that there was a certain amount of climbing that was "free", and then points were added on for additional climbing above that, but not so. 

But I'm happy to leave the AAA calculations to Steve, I just strive to keep my "flat" events below that minimum amount of climbing.

My current RRTY continues with the Full Monty 300 Perm ridden yesterday and I'm pleased to see that the climbing doesn't exceed 3999m.  I'm even more pleased to see that the Knockin Shop has a cafe

mikewigley

« Reply #335 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:37:18 am »
I've had an enquiry about the Raid Alpine and whether it should count towards the RRTY. 

The rules, in as much as we have any, ask for a Brevet de Randonnee (BR) but of course I accept BRMs too, and assume that all DIYs of over 200km are BRs.

I'm inclined to accept any event provided it is a validated ride of over 200km, at a max speed of 30kph and a minimum of
  14.3kph for up to 600km
  13.3kph for up to 1300km
  10kph for up to 2500km
  200km per day for longer than 2500km

so the Raid Alpine and other events might fit that set of criteria

What do people think?

Mike

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #336 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:41:19 am »
Most people don't do Raid Alpine at the required average speed to qualify as BR, 740 km in 4-7 days generally.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #337 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:43:57 am »
What about the 12kph up to 1800km limit?

What about a BP validation of a ride if misses the required speed limits (such as the Raids of 700km in 7 days)? It's not all about points, but the fact it's listed in results pages (or perms) might prompt people to go out and ride them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #338 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

What do people think?

If the rider enters a DIY Perm  in advance, does the distance within the time limits, providing a proof of passage then I can't see why it shouldn't be acceptable. It wouldn't have to be the entire route of the Raid Alpine used, the rider may be able to designate one 'stage' to do his randonee. There would be nothing wrong with the rider designing his 200km route, submitting it, riding it and never telling AUK about the other 540km he rode in the same week !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #339 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:55:02 am »
Raid Alpine (and Prealpine and Pyreneen) are already recognised/registered/listed, just not as part of the AUK results.

If anything, AUK should recognise UAF brevets similarly to overseas BRM rides, given the shared history between the ACP and UAF and their compatible distance and time limits.  It seems a little odd to me to try to force cyclosportives and other challenging but incompatible rides (distances, time limits, etc) into a BR or BRM results table.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #340 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
There would be nothing wrong with the rider designing his 200km route, submitting it, riding it and never telling AUK about the other 540km he rode in the same week !!

I'll keep that approach in mind when I submit a DIY entry for the first 200 km of the 2011 PBP, just so I get something if I DNF the actual event.

The expectation is that you are only entering one event at a time and that you don't get partial credit for a failed attempt.

« Reply #341 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:06:31 am »
There would be nothing wrong with the rider designing his 200km route, submitting it, riding it and never telling AUK about the other 540km he rode in the same week !!

I'll keep that approach in mind when I submit a DIY entry for the first 200 km of the 2011 PBP, just so I get something if I DNF the actual event.

The expectation is that you are only entering one event at a time and that you don't get partial credit for a failed attempt.
Just don't tell anyone you are doing PBP as well.

« Reply #342 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
another RRTY  ... also keeps my first AAARRTY going

It hadn't occured before, but riding 12 monthly 200s which happen to have AAA points will entitle you to both the RRTY and AAARTY, with the sames rides qualifying for two separate awards.  A regulation along the lines of "no event can count towards more than one award" would be unworkable

an SR
  an RRTY
  an AAARRTY
  an AAA SR
  a Brevet 1000 (5 x 200)
  31 championship points

And do it all on fixed would mean a healthy (min 2 AAA points per event) 54 FWC points.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #343 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:11:05 am »

So if I finish PBP, I don't submit my DIY for validation?  But I'll have already put my entry in, so they'll know anyway!   ;)

« Reply #344 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:14:38 am »

So if I finish PBP, I don't submit my DIY for validation?  But I'll have already put my entry in, so they'll know anyway!   ;)

DIY perms are not meant to be allowed if they will attract riders from calendar events. The DIY org should realise what you are up to by the date and your control locations and not issue you the card.

But hey, it's your call.

Raid Alpine and PBP are different animals anyway. If RA was eligible for a AUK randonee for RRTY purposes the question wouldn't have come up. PBP is eligible for a AUK randonee for RRTY purposes.

You know what nobody likes ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #345 on: 17 May, 2010, 11:53:08 am »
You know what nobody likes ?

From reading your posts, I'm getting a hint.

mikewigley

« Reply #346 on: 17 May, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »
If anything, AUK should recognise UAF brevets

UAF?  Wiki tells me this could be Unite Against Facism, University of Alaska Fairbanks or Ukranian Air Force so I don't see the connection with Audax United Kingdom

mikewigley

« Reply #347 on: 17 May, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »
What about the 12kph up to 1800km limit?

Yes, I should have included that in my list - thanks, well spotted

What about a BP validation of a ride if misses the required speed limits (such as the Raids of 700km in 7 days)? It's not all about points, but the fact it's listed in results pages (or perms) might prompt people to go out and ride them.

They might be listed on the AUK results pages as BPs but they ought not to carry any points, and I wouldn't be inclined me to favour them with an RRTY contribution

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #348 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:13:25 pm »
If anything, AUK should recognise UAF brevets

UAF?  Wiki tells me this could be Unite Against Facism, University of Alaska Fairbanks or Ukranian Air Force so I don't see the connection with Audax United Kingdom

Try a search engine for Audax and UAF.  Good primers are PBP Audax, not PBP Randonneur and A Little History.  If you prefer Wiki, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audax_(cycling) but Wikipedia isn't really a reliable source for a lot of things.

« Reply #349 on: 17 May, 2010, 03:38:51 pm »

They might be listed on the AUK results pages as BPs but they ought not to carry any points, and I wouldn't be inclined me to favour them with an RRTY contribution

Yup, sorry, that's what I'd meant.