Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries 400km 14-05-2011 from Dedham  (Read 3618 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Asparagus & Strawberries 400km 14-05-2011 from Dedham
« on: 06 May, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
Anybody else of the parish doing this one?

Got the route sheet through on Wednesday.  Looking forward to it.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

red marley

Re: Asparagus & Strawberries 400km 14-05-2011 from Dedham
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
I really wanted to do this this year, but it filled up very early, so no places left. It's a great route and pretty easy as 400s go. If you are reasonably speedy, you can even stay in the Barton Mills Travelodge (near Red Lodge) and grab some comfy sleep. I managed 5 hours last year which was pretty civilised for a 400.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2011, 10:30:16 pm »
    I'm riding, [as is Deniece.] Route seems unchanged from previous years. I recall a bit of a rush to get to Wells before everything closes at 9pm!! Did it as a perm a few years ago with a later start, but found a very friendly Indian restaurant that fed us late at night!
    Loads of CC Sudbury were on the ride last time.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »
    I'm riding

Super - how many marmite sandwiches are you packing?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »
    You can never have too many ;D  As this is a potentially 'cafe dense' ride, I shall save my pennies for the mahousive blow out at Red Lodge :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2011, 03:46:01 pm »
Anyone wanting a reasonable value for money ride?  I plan on a gentle amble around.  I will take more food than I did for the 300 DIY I did last week.

I am hoping there is chocolate crunch at the Bridge café.

I'll be there on my Ladies' bike, looks like I'll be cycling to the start but have a cunning plan whereby my parents  (who are up for the weekend to babysit spend some quality time with the grandchildren) and children meet me in Dedham and we all have lunch*.  I just have to pretend to stay awake etc, so I'll be starting lunch with a strong coffee!.  I then get chauffered the twentymumble km back to Ipswich.

*recommendations?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2011, 08:52:44 am »

*recommendations?

Hall Farm Shop in stratford st mary

I'm doing this ride as well...
Still Just Being...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:36:58 am »
I'm in for this one - but I dont think route can be identical to last year - as surely we started near manningtree - whereas this is Dedham this time. OK probably same from Ixworth.

Anyone "guessed" a GPS route for this? and willing to share it?

And should we enter it for the worst route sheet competition anyway?
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:55:13 am »
Ah, but there's a warning about Balsham this time ...
I have done a check of the route aginst streetview etc.  I may take a subtly different (and more main roady) route at a couple of points.
But it looks nice'n'flat.
see you all at the start.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2011, 11:24:39 am »

Anyone "guessed" a GPS route for this? and willing to share it?

Not my GPS route but searched for one myself and found this, seems right. Bicycle Path - AUDAX:Asparagus & Strawberries, 406km (2550m) at Bikely.com
Still Just Being...

Thunderthighs

• A likeness.... of sorts!
    • Reading Cycling Club (RCC)
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2011, 07:05:28 pm »
Of Course the gps track is right - its straight from the route sheet and yes, after a few km, it's much as per last year.

See you all on the ride!
LEL 2013 Events??:
PBP 2015 Qualifiers ??:

Time to look ahead.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2011, 07:28:03 pm »
If anyone thinks they may need Somewhere Friendly in the wildlands between Wells and Red Lodge, PM me and I'll let you have my mobile # or location. I am just off the official route (6km) - and much closer (1km) to an unofficial route from Fakenham to the A1065 (south), if you have need.

On last year's timings, Fidgetbuzz and I were here at about 10:30pm; and I guess we were probably mid-field, if that helps.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »
Apologies in advance to anybody behind me tomorrow - my bike has no mudguards and I see we might be in for some thundery showers.

At least tonight's forecasts are showing less of those than the ones earlier in the week.  The Nor-westerly (which looks like the most pessimal wind direction for this ride given the straight-ish sections towards Ixworth and Wells and the lack of any long straight sections in the opposite direction) is predicted to be stiffer than they were saying earlier (19mph at one plausible point for the stretch from Reedham to Wells).

I still think I'm going to rely on a gilet (and possibly overshoes if it sounds like it may be heavily wet) rather than re-engineer my packing to find room for the boil-in-the-bag waterproof.

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2011, 05:20:00 pm »
Day started with fried egg produced by younger guy (he also did tea/dinner/supper but I wasn't there to eat it).

Rolled up in plenty of time to sign in, meet and greet, 'spect I missed a few of you.

I got wet once, at Ixworth but dried out again well before Halesworth.  Bridge Café was out of chocolate fudge pudding (all the fast b'stards had eaten it already, oh the things we gentler-paced riders have to put up with (yes, I know, dangling preposition.)
Avoided a drenching from the thunderstorm at Acle by dint of hiding in the lee of a wall (thanks to Denice for pointing it out).

Seemed to have survived the ride on 2.5 meals (Halesworth, Red Lodge and the sandwich+yog at Acle) and scraps in my bag.
Wells was, of course, bereft of anything to eat after 9:30 so stuffed self and Steve (who rolled up in a timely way to accompany me for the rest of the ride) with 2 not very nice scones from ACle and headed off to the garage at the Fakenham rounadout which does coffee.

I nipped in just ahead of Steve (and 1/2 doz later folks), to get the last cherry crumble at Red Lodge and so enjoyed it on everyone's behalf.

Beautiful views between Weston Coalville and Linton, or thenabouts in the ride, hazily showin in the morning sunshine, just perfect (a thing of beauty is a joy forever).
Steve's and my navigation skills faded beyond Saffy but never at the same time, fortunately, we made it back in plenty of time with a fair number to follow.

Looks like everyone else is asleep (sleep is for wimps, I am still awaye 36 hours after waking up at 5:00 am yesterday)  :smug:

Met up with famils for lunch as planned, then waved of (exhausted) grandparents.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2011, 08:34:21 pm »
The first section was led at a tidy ( rather than frantic pace) up to Ixworth - and again a few of us went to the grumpy shopkeeper on right of street - getting there at 11.54 - whereupon he closed the shop -  it is really a 12.00 close.
fast across to Halesworth with wind behind ( our group of 6 did not scoff the chocolate fudge Ara - we tend to beans on toast). 6 had become 4 by Reedham ferry- with Andy not with us,and one diverting to home at Bungay for pasta), Needham Matt and I were lucky enough to just get the same ferry as Oaky and "Fast Rider". Acle saw Andy reunited with Matt and I - and we rode up to Melton Constable to the chippy ( wind not as bad as we feared) - just caught up with Oaky again. ATM at Wells - Oaky leaving as we arrived. Ring ChrisS from Swaffham to keep him in the loop - ie no visit from me for a sleep.
Very very slow for me round the airbase ( Andy took up my suggestion that rather than plod slowly with me - he might as well press on) and to Redlodge - which was amazingly quiet. Andy and Oaky left not long after Matt and I arrived ( and I think stayed together to finish. Matt and I left after a 30 minute head on arms sleep - just as next group of 5 or 6 were arriving.
Then it was just keep on going - getting slower as we got closer to finish. Total time 21.20 - a little slow for an EA ride.
Chatted to Richard Thomas - Eastbourne rider at finish - we are both doing the Midhurst 600 next week
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

rob

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:19:26 pm »
Neighbours alarm was going off all bloody night on Friday giving me a restless nights sleep. Ride into town and trained to Manningtree. Chatted to Arabella, Fudgetbuzz and Tomsk at the start. Settled in as planned with Richard Thomas and we proceeded to pootle round. Heavy shower with hail just after Ixworth but the tailwind to Halesworth made that leg easy going. Leg from Acle to Wells was hard going witha headwind and several heavy showers. Made it to the chippy at 8.45 so managed sit-down dinner.

It turned very chilly on the night leg and I had most of my gear on on the way to Red Lodge. Due to the poor nights sleep I was getting the dozies at 1am, much earlier than usual. Treacle Tart at Red Lodge warmed me up. Rest of the night leg had me fighting sleep but riding OK.

We finished bang on 22hrs, a bit slower than last year. I always enjoy this ride and it was another classic edition. Thanks to Herman for organising again.

Rob

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »
A few records set by me today:

1] Most drugs consumed during a randonnee, due to earache/strep. throat/tomsillyitis [sic.] which began on Tuesday. Had this not been my only chance for a PBP 400 I would have DNS'd. Felt less queazy after moving from 'vit.I' to Paracetamol and perked up a lot after Red Lodge.

2] Slowest ever 400, unsurprisingly!

3] Most dehydrated ever, sipping from bidon made me choke, but did drink loads at cafe stops [many more than planned including half way on final stage - second breakfast at Sible Hedingham cafe - good call Brian [Taylor].

A few other little incidents, including much fettling of Deniece's gears - she ended up with a two speed due to my inability to get to grips with Campag levers, when her cable broke. Deniece, Brian and I had a wonderful long stop at the Wells Tandoori and really sold the idea of Audaxing to the pleasant couple at the next table. Also enjoyed being waited on by drunken female clubbers at RL :o. Only getting caught in one shower on the road was a plus!

Chapeau to Arabella for riding her sit-up-and-beg-fixie into that headwind :thumbsup:

A classic ride - like the Dorset Coast and the Daylight, much enhanced by the excitement of a ferry crossing :thumbsup: Can't wait for a return visit on the Seething!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
I'm slightly sore in the legs, but very satisfied with a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Went out with no firm plan for my ride.  The only idea early pre-ride was that I'd probably ride with Tomsk and grab a pint somewhere.  However, very early on, I went for a bit of a spin up to the front group to et the blood moving, and after a short spell discussing the Ortlieb saddle pack with Fidgetbuzz, looked round for Tomsk and Deneice, but there was no sign, so in the end I decided to stay with the group (~9 folks) to Ixworth, planning to hang on in the cafe and re-join Tomsk then.

In the end, most of the group were controlling at the village shop (we'd got in at 11:53, just before it's closing time of 12:00 (despite the clock on the till indicating 13:19 which would put us 7 minutes of time at that control).  When Fidgetbuzz and Needham-matt set off I decided to make hay while the sun shone and try to blast across to Halesworth while the wind was at our back (apart from the last section this would be probably the only opportunity for that).  A group of about five of us formed up.  About 10 or so km in, I decided to take a pull on the front (may as well get that in while the wind's behind ;)).  Unfortunately, I (mostly accidentally) rode off the front.  I got to Halesworth a couple of minutes ahead of the others.  Into the Bridge cafe at 14:00 (where the till clock was also incorrect - reading 13:44 on my receipt - indicating 25 minutes for the ~50k from Ixworth going purely on receipt times  ;D).  A coffee, a curly wurly (the food of champions!) and a plate of beans on toast went down very well.

After lunch, we formed up for the run to Reedham.  Eventually, myself and a chap in a blue gore windstopper gilet (whose name I didn't catch, but who did a lot of the pulls on the front) went on ahead.  I was eventually dropped by the fast chap just before the ferry, but caught up with him waiting for it.  Just as it finally crossed over to pick us up, Fidgetbuzz and Needham-matt hove into view: perfect timing.  :thumbsup:

I rode with the fast chap again, but eventually couldn't keep up.  We met up again at the co-op in Acle, and headed off together just as somebody else (I think this was Andy, from near Manningtree, not currently of this parish) was arriving.  Again, it wasn't long before I dropped behind the fast chap and never saw him again.

I escaped one heavy shower in Wroxham by sheltering under a tree.   I got drenched later on though, being caught away from any obvious shelter.   Comparing notes later in Melton Constable, it seems the others had had thunder/lightning in their showers which I didn't get.  My own particular bonus weather feature was a brief hailstorm.  ::-)

In Melton Constable, I spotted the chippy that Fidgetbuzz had mentioned at lunchtime.  Fishcakes, large chips and curry sauce and a full-fat coke.  The others arrived about 10 minutes later.  I bought a ludicrous amount of water at the co-op next door (two 1.5 litre bottles since they were on a BOGOF - more than enough for everyone to top off bottles and drink some there and then).

After dinner, I decided to try and push on a bit again.  This time, I had a specific goal in mind (of which more below) and rode off the front again.  I controlled at the ATM in Wells (@20:04), having in any case exhausted my cash reserves.  I saw the other three chaps approaching just as I left.  It was a relief to turn out of the headwind that prevailed on the Halesworth->Wells section, even if it then became a cross-wind.

At around 9 pm, on the A1065, I saw what I'd been looking for: a pub - the Fox and Hounds at, I think, Weasenham.  I stopped there for a pint, and to change my clothing fiddle with lights and generally rig myself for night-time running.  I also took the opportunity to wash the salt off my face and put some Sudocrem on a patch at the front/top of my right thigh which had got chafed a bit.  This pit-stop was the reason I had wanted to ride off prior to Wells  ;D.  A couple of leisurely Adnam's and 40 mins later,  I was ready to hit the road again.  (after transferring two pieces of Staffordshire oatcake and cheese to my jersey pocket to munch on the next leg).  The barman informed me that he'd seen a group of three cyclists go past (Andy, FidgetBuzz and Needham-matt almost certainly) whilst I was in the gents.

Caught up with Andy, Fidgetbuzz and Needham-matt in Swaffham, as they appeared form the left having nipped off to the garage for water.  Rode out of Swaffham with them.  We rode together for quite a bit of the run to Red Lodge, but eventually either I got faster or the others slowed and I went off again.

Red Lodge at 12:25 was a lot quiter than it's reputation would suggest.  Just one other customer, a truck driver drinking a cuppa.  I settled in with a black coffee and a square of Madeira cake to wait for the others. 

Andy arrived ahead of Fidgetbuzz and Needham-matt, having been urged to go on ahead since he was running faster than they were.   FB and N-m arrived and puddings were consumed.  FB and N-m decided to try and catch a bit of sleep there, and Andy and I headed off onto the A11.

We arrived in Saffron Walden around 03:00, so dutifully followed the route sheet instructions to phone Herman to let him know we were setting off from there prior to 04:00 (@03:15).  I told him that we would probably be between 2.5 to 3 hours.  In the end it was almost exactly 3 hours later by the time we had negotiated the decidedly lumpy last leg.

Total time 20:10 or 20:15 in the end, I think.  Faster than I expected.  A cup of coffee and a lovely square of bread pudding at the finish helped with recovery and then it was on to Manningtree station to see if there were any trains yet.  In the end I waited about 35 mins for the first train of the day at 07:33 (I hadn't thought to research the timetable at that early hour

BTW Andy was riding his first 400.  He recorded his fastest ever 100 200 and 300 rides on this outing.  Nice going.  :thumbsup:

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #18 on: 10 May, 2022, 10:32:41 am »
Thought I'd resurrect this version of the trhead as (until someone reminds me otherwise) this was the last time I did this ride (well, all the way, I think I tried on trike once and bailed out about half way round with feeble-itis).  Last time I rode was on fixed and from Dedham, thus missing out those last few ascents.  This time round I walked them all, quite shamelessly, and without any witnesses until Mill Hill (the last one). 

I did most of the ride with (forgot to ask his name, so I'll dub him Roger on the tenuous grounds of being vaguely similar to a former colleague also called Roger (I used to go to toddlers with that Roger's OH)).  Roger was on fixed and doing his first 400, not that you'd have known.  He'd started on gears but had a mishap, was near enough home to limp back and get a spare bike - normally he'd be a lot faster than I am!  But with a sore hip, he fancied a more restrained speed which meant that I went, for once, at a vaguely reasonable pace (for "full value rider" versions of reasonable), so between the 2 of us we progressed nicely.  Big thanks to Roger for company, being a very easy wheel to follow and comfortable conversation.

I also managed to eat enough (unlike last year on my failed attempt at a cba to enter DIY 600 which ended at the first hill (Lincoln, just before half way), the first bit of the route was across Suffolk and the fens), though I did require a pause on the way in to Halesworth to make up for only buying one sausage roll in Ixworth, which wasn't enough, and giving myself a little talking to.  After that I took just-enough more heed as to what I was eating, though I should probably pay more attention to having proper stops - beans on toast in the Halesworth co-op and McD at Barton Mills (it has grown considerably since I last visited, though tbh I would have preferred the Red Lodge menu, however...).  Otherwise it was a tour do co-op (Acle and Wells to complete the pack, sadly only the Acle branch was the right sort of co-op for my dividend card).  Even better, all the co-ops had a loo, preferable to a hedge for me.

Thanks to those who towed me on various other bits before I linked up with Roger, I was either just about hanging on or else would have been if it wasn't for your wind break.  In particular there was a group (on and off) between Ixworth and Acle, but Roger and I pushed on ahead at Acle as we were both starting to get chilly, I think they stopt at Melton Constable as they steamed past Roger on his phone bidding his winkies sweet dreams whilst I had pootled on and I saw them not. 

Some random observations.
Nice day for a ride and nice route apart from saving the steeper (for flatlands values of steep) part till the end
Weather was nowhere near as chilly as I'd been led to expect, I should have worn fewer clothes during daylight as I only needed my trendy orange high viz over-vest as additional overnight wear.
It's lovely and empty round Reedham.
Nice views down over Wells - there was just enough light left to appreciate
Lakenheath has shrunk, it seemed interminable last time around, whizzed by this time (thanks Roger)
Nice empty roads in the main, with nice views to match
Newmarket is indeed lively at drunk o'clock, I'm sure I did go through it once when it was quiet
I completely banished the dozies by having 3 coffees on wach of Thrus and Fri, then none on Sat and a large McCoffee at, say, 2:00 am.  This seems like a win.
I did wave hello at my friend as I passed through Walsham-le-W.  She swears she saw me too!
The Reedham Ferry still doesn't match Brian Mann's description (which included comfy chairs, a lounge ... and those cycling with us finding it hard to stay upright). 
Lovely sausage sandwich + tea at the end, just right.
I really do need another saddle on the fixie - tail felt fine after 400km with gears, which it doesn't after 200km on fixed.

Nice to see Rob & Jane at the start and Mel K at start and end.  I was amused to see Mel & I both still have the same jacket (as we did 10 years ago), though we've both bought the same new jacket since then.