Author Topic: 'found this on a ride today'!  (Read 180640 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: 'found this on a ride today'!
« Reply #825 on: 01 August, 2022, 02:17:57 pm »
IMG_2584 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Sooooooo, whats all this then, stuff put out for 'de schcrap man'  an old Raleigh Pioneer, and, but, but , but whats that lurkin' behind..............

IMG_2585 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Fuji Transonic 2.5 carbon road bike, minus front wheel, 11 speed :o  Needless to say , I shouldered said work of art? and rode the 10 miles home. I cut off the lock that was locked and wound around the top tube, and it halved the weight of the bike!
I gave to a very surprised chum across the road, as a fettling project, turbo/roller bike.  It is sadly in need of tlc  .........O    I    L   .  Hey ho. in 2016 they were £1600..  If I said it weighed less than my Carradice saddlebag with contents, I would not be telling porkies.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #826 on: 01 August, 2022, 02:49:05 pm »
Er Dibs.

Are we that consumeristic that a bike like that would be dummped?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #827 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:14:10 pm »
Crash damaged maybe?

« Reply #828 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:36:17 pm »
I collected an as new Kona hybrid behind some bins once that had two buckled wheels. It's still in use as the family ute.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #829 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:41:58 pm »
I once saw a seemingly intact carbon road frame and forks put out by someone's bins. Can't remember the make. Was highly tempted but left it cos, a) no room, b) it had no components so would have become a time and money sink, c) possibility of invisible delamination or whatever.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #830 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:32:26 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg's flat-bar Ridgeback was rebuilt from a wheel-less street find.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #831 on: 06 August, 2022, 02:13:05 pm »
Saw a round plastic container in the gutter. My attention was caught by the word Velo printed on top. What could it be? Minty lard arse? Excessively packaged bar tape? No. It turned out to contain "nicotine pouches".  ::-)

rr

« Reply #832 on: 07 August, 2022, 03:41:22 pm »
A fridge/freezer protected by cones
2022-08-07_02-46-05 by Richard Rajham, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #833 on: 07 August, 2022, 09:49:43 pm »
Did you check to see whether Bloody Stupid Johnson was in residence?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #834 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:41:48 am »
You wouldn't want to wake him up....would you? :o ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #835 on: 03 September, 2022, 08:04:16 pm »

Maybe not in the spirit of this thread.....
The local drug-taking drivers have graduated from the 8 g steel cartridges to the aluminium cylinders that hold around 500 g each. I found two beside the road today. One was full, surprisingly. Each one is about 600  g of aluminium which has been added to the scrap pile for eventual conversion to cash.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #836 on: 03 September, 2022, 10:00:25 pm »

The local drug-taking drivers have graduated from the 8 g steel cartridges to the aluminium cylinders that hold around 500 g each. I found two beside the road today. One was full, surprisingly. Each one is about 600  g of aluminium which has been added to the scrap pile for eventual conversion to cash.

They don't usually take pressurised canisters, even if empty.

« Reply #837 on: 03 September, 2022, 10:08:01 pm »

They don't usually take pressurised canisters, even if empty.
I've scrapped out old diving cylinders before. I just take the valve out first. I've taken the valves out of the N2O cylinders.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #838 on: 05 September, 2022, 08:25:22 pm »

I've scrapped out old diving cylinders before. I just take the valve out first. I've taken the valves out of the N2O cylinders.
How do you do that, please? I'm wondering if something similar might be possible with empty butane-propane camping gas cylinders so they can be scrapped/recycled.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #839 on: 05 September, 2022, 09:23:09 pm »
Our normal recycling bin will accept empty aerosol cans.  A camping gas cartridge is basically the same thing...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #840 on: 05 September, 2022, 09:32:17 pm »
Our normal recycling bin will accept empty aerosol cans.  A camping gas cartridge is basically the same thing...
Probably not in the eyes of the binbods.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #841 on: 06 September, 2022, 05:38:42 am »
They recycle them by crushing, so residual gas could be an issue. What is in aerosol propellants these days, still butane?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #842 on: 06 September, 2022, 07:09:02 am »
Found on the way back from Henley-on-Thames on Saturday. One hefalump

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wH98tC3ZR6GzoRNc9

;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #843 on: 06 September, 2022, 07:17:56 am »
They recycle them by crushing, so residual gas could be an issue. What is in aerosol propellants these days, still butane?
Could puncture the can, to make sure it is empty.
Can get a Jetboil Crunchit tool designed for this. Or just hit it with a nail or axe.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #844 on: 06 September, 2022, 07:53:18 am »

I thought it was propane.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #845 on: 06 September, 2022, 08:37:27 am »
Could puncture the can, to make sure it is empty.
Can get a Jetboil Crunchit tool designed for this. Or just hit it with a nail or axe.
All of these were my thoughts, though wary of hitting it with a nail and causing a spark somehow. Anywayz, I have 16g still to use up – that's about three cups of tea!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #846 on: 06 September, 2022, 04:39:48 pm »
I have done a limited amount of work in this area, at a facility manufacturing deoderant aerosols and this came up as an area of risk for them in terms of managing the off-spec / damaged containers.  They had some very impressive blow out panels and rapid response fixed powder extinguishers in the filling hall - blob of fragrance in the can, blob of liquid propellant (LPG or what ever) then seal it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #847 on: 06 September, 2022, 04:58:48 pm »

How do you do that, please? I'm wondering if something similar might be possible with empty butane-propane camping gas cylinders so they can be scrapped/recycled.
On the diving cylinders and the NO2 cylinders, the valve is screwed in. I've taken the precaution of blowing into them and then feeling the air come back out, simply to prove to myself that the valve is open and not broken jammed closed. Then it's just a case of unscrewing the valve.

The NO2 cylinders were small enough that the valve could be held in a vice and the cylinder unscrewed.

The diving cylinders can need a lot of torque to unscrew the valve, so stopping the cylinder from rotating is non-trivial. One way is to jack a car, and put the cylinder under a wheel, and lower the car.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #848 on: 06 September, 2022, 05:44:44 pm »
Partner picked up working dual CD deck from grass verge near our house.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #849 on: 06 September, 2022, 05:49:20 pm »
Oh, I found a full-length mirror last week.  But it only half counts, because I was on the Brompton on the way to collect a hire car, and cunningly used the car to pick it up[1] on the way back.

[1] For reasons explained by Generation Rent rather than vampirism, we live in a house with no mirrors.  This isn't normally a problem, but barakta would benefit from one for her physioterrorism exercises.