Author Topic: What wine do you intend to have with Christmas Dinner?  (Read 26797 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What wine do you intend to have with Christmas Dinner?
« Reply #50 on: 10 December, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »
Just the usual one about what a disappointment the year has been and how I can't stand my family... oh, I see... wine, not whine.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #51 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
Usually a nice solid Barolo, followed by a slug of port and a sleep on the sofa. Mrs Jules has always been teetotal so I've generally drank alone (we don't do the relatives thing)

This year I seem to have gone on the wagon for weight reasons and appear to have forgotten why I drank alcohol anyway so might well stay dry.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #52 on: 15 December, 2012, 09:45:09 am »
OK, as it is tomorrow (trad turkey+all trimmings) the wines have been chosen:

A Pineau de Charentes  for apertif / Champagne alt.
White: some 1999 Anjou which obv. needs drinking (with a picpoul in the wings just in case)
Red: 2002 Moulin a Vent
Sweetie: A 2001 Jurancon doux, to be a bit lighter than a sauternes or muscat
Port: 91 Graham.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #53 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
I've got one bottle of  63 Taylor's left, is Christmas enough of an excuse?
Not until I've married into your family.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #54 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:09:32 am »
OK, as it is tomorrow (trad turkey+all trimmings) the wines have been chosen:

A Pineau de Charentes  for apertif / Champagne alt.
White: some 1999 Anjou which obv. needs drinking (with a picpoul in the wings just in case)
Red: 2002 Moulin a Vent
Sweetie: A 2001 Jurancon doux, to be a bit lighter than a sauternes or muscat
Port: 91 Graham.

All worked well with the addition of Laurent Perrier Rose  to start (courtesy of guests), swapped the picpoul for  Lidl Chablis once the Anjou went,  and some Clava hors d'age to round it all off.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #55 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »
This year I am planning

2004 Averys 50th Anniversary Vintage Champagne

2012 Villa Loosen Qba Half Bottle
2010 Domaine Joseph Voillot Volnay Vieilles Vignes or 2008 Château Tertre Daugay St Émilion

Averys 10 year old Tawny Port.

I am a little worried by the Burgundy and Bordeaux .  I actually ordered an older vintage of the Burgundy but I got this instead.  Goodish vintages but I suspect both would benefit from more time. I am thinking the Bordeaux, many 2008s are drinking nicely now. I will keep the Volnay until next year.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #56 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »
Dunno about white, fizz or port yet, but as I may be the only drinker at my Christmas dinner (I may be the only one present, actually), a 2012 The Chocolate Block. In fact, why bother with the food?! ;D

« Reply #57 on: 11 December, 2013, 02:07:45 pm »
Loosen is a Reisling, isn't it?

As far as the Burgundy is concerned, I've not had that particular one, but I'm pretty sure I have had some of Voillot's, without checking back I think it was a Pommard. Given the fact that I bought it in the first place, that means his wines are in a classic style, as it is a vielle vignes, it will only just be coming into its own - well left for a year, even three.

« Reply #58 on: 11 December, 2013, 02:42:01 pm »
So far I have lined up:
Mercurey Rouge (I forget the year, to go with lamb)
Campbell's Rutherglen Muscat (to go with pud, will probably be opened to go with mince pies the day before!)

A decent port is on the shopping list and Mrs Dan prefers white so I really ought to rustle something up, a Pinot Gris maybe.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #59 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »
Loosen is a Reisling, isn't it?

As far as the Burgundy is concerned, I've not had that particular one, but I'm pretty sure I have had some of Voillot's, without checking back I think it was a Pommard. Given the fact that I bought it in the first place, that means his wines are in a classic style, as it is a vielle vignes, it will only just be coming into its own - well left for a year, even three.

Yes. My mother the resident Riesling monster is not fond of red wine so I got that half bottle for her. One of my brothers will help her drink it because she is medically advised to go easy on the alcohol. I am going away skiing for Christmas and my dinner will be on the following Monday. I expect the Riesling will have disappeared by then in which case mum will have to have water with the big family dinner.

« Reply #60 on: 11 December, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
Where are you off to? We'll be in Belle Plagne

Catered chalet, so brussel sprouts are a cert ;)

There may be wine.....

« Reply #61 on: 11 December, 2013, 07:43:22 pm »
The only cert is La Gitana Manzanilla as an apertiff.

Seeing as I am aiming to be on my own, it will then be followed by lots of decent beer of high ABV.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #62 on: 11 December, 2013, 07:50:53 pm »
Some kind of red wine I guess; I'm not in charge of main course.
But for dessert and the rest of the evening 2 liters of  2012 Sloe gin

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #63 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »

There may be wine.....

With catered chalets, of course, the first order of business is to assist the chalet staff bring in the deliveries.   The principal reason is to discover where they stash the plonk.  This is expected behaviour...

ian

« Reply #64 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »
Every year I resolve the titanic Christmas battle between Blue Nun and Black Tower by buying a bottle of each. Ain't no joke, it's a tradition from my childhood. I also like Babycham and can drink a pint of Advocaat. Anyone who says they don't like a good snowball is going to get haunted by my gran (who also introduced me to Makeson's Milk Stout* and barley wine). She was probably getting around to stringing me out on Special Brew and 20-20.

*weirdly ubiquitous in Hong Kong; because I'm a bit scared of real roller coasters, I drink it and then ride up and down the mid-levels escalators for thrills.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #65 on: 12 December, 2013, 09:14:46 am »

There may be wine.....

A hotel in Cervinia, (doing Zermatt on the cheap).  So I expect on Christmas Eve I will buy a  Babaresco or Borolo unless its too expensive then it will have to be a Barbera. I have skied Italy the last four Christmases. Nice smooth brisk skiing on immaculate pistes with GS skis. Going to Tignes in mid March for the blacker stuff.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #66 on: 12 December, 2013, 09:15:57 am »
The only cert is La Gitana Manzanilla as an apertiff.

Seeing as I am aiming to be on my own, it will then be followed by lots of decent beer of high ABV.

I'm coming round to your house for Xmas!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #67 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:05:22 pm »
B.Y.O.B.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #68 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:29:37 pm »

There may be wine.....

A hotel in Cervinia, (doing Zermatt on the cheap).  So I expect on Christmas Eve I will buy a  Babaresco or Borolo unless its too expensive then it will have to be a Barbera. I have skied Italy the four Christmases. Nice smooth brisk skiing on immaculate pistes with GS skis. Going to Tignes in mid March for the blacker stuff.

We may be back in Tignes at half term, never skied Italy

« Reply #69 on: 13 December, 2013, 10:18:56 am »
No wine and probably no alcohol.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #70 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:25:44 pm »
I have now been coerced into December 25th at my brother's house. Seeing as I will be driving, that limits the amount of Manzanilla I can consume, BUT I can escape back to my stash as early as etiquette allows.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #71 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:28:23 am »
I'll most likely be opening what used to be called Tokay Pinot Gris before Hungary joined the EU and kicked up shit.  It's a local Pinot Gris with a light, slightly fruity taste that will go very well with the duck we'll be having.  The cépage was supposedly imported from Hungary by a French noble who wanted to duplicate Hungarian Tokay, but someone there had duped him with an inferior root-stock.  The Tokay was dropped a few years back, which is a pity because even though it was a misnomer it was a wee bit of history. It's nonetheless a very pleasant wine - used to be one of my favourites when I still drank alcohol.

The classic wine for duck is Cahors, of course, but it's difficult to find a good one without going there and doing the rounds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #72 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:38:08 am »
When I lived over there, I used to love Pinot Gris. A very decent bottle could be had for £3. My wine expert friend rather looked down on it and said you couldn't buy a really good bottle, but the lightness & frutiness appealed to me too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #73 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:57:47 am »
The nice thing about it is that it'll go with just about anything.  The only folk I've known who turned up their noses were of the "I don't like white wine" variety, an attitude I've never understood.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #74 on: 16 December, 2013, 10:09:59 am »
When I lived over there, I used to love Pinot Gris. A very decent bottle could be had for £3. My wine expert friend rather looked down on it and said you couldn't buy a really good bottle, but the lightness & frutiness appealed to me too.

Then with all due respect (ie, not a lot at all) your wine expert friend is talking out of his (admittedly mispronounced) pomace, marc my words ;)

There are some excellent bottles available in the Alsace (and possibly in my cellar), for example a Gewurtzraminer Vendange Tardive (or Grains Nobles) stands happily alongside just about any Sauternes (which is after all, pretty much the only space that white makes into the territory of Fine Wine), and there are some very, very fine examples out there.  For the rest of it, there are Alsacian wine makers who manage their wines as well as any in France.