Author Topic: What wine do you intend to have with Christmas Dinner?  (Read 27202 times)

Re: What wine do you intend to have with Christmas Dinner?
« Reply #125 on: 01 January, 2022, 01:44:05 pm »
The rubber vacuvin stoppers are great for red wine. I find that some wines improve after a day of being stoppered with one.  Wine remains excellent for about 4 days.

I have the rubber stoppers. Still some doesn't last for the second day. Most goes to three OK. As you say some seem better after a day.

We have the rubber stoppers.

It's the pump thing we cannot find.

Can get cheapo copies on ebay

Mrs Pcolbeck gave me one of these eto decanters for Christmas.

The top is a plunger and you push it down to drive all the air out.No CO2 cartridges required. Seems to work really well in the limited testing I have done so far. Next week I might get a cheap bottle of plonk for a test run in keeping it for more than 48 hours.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #126 on: 01 January, 2022, 09:53:21 pm »
We got in a few bottles of Aldi plonk, all perfectly drinkable but nothing worth mentioning, but then the boy very kindly delved into his personal cellar to pull out a bottle of Tillingham Field Blend One, which went very nicely indeed with the turkey...

Tillingham Field Blend One by citoyen, on Flickr

That is interesting! Tillingham is a small village very close to the St. Peter's on the Wall saxon church near the Bradwell power station. There are quite a few vineyards in the area, but I didn't know they made wine in Tillingham itself. Veterans of the Warty series may well recall us visiting St. Peter's one year and lunching at the Fox & Hounds. I recall that the chicken curry they served me was the best pub curry I've ever had.

Assuming that they are still in operation, the village football team used to call itself Tillingham Hotspur.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #127 on: 01 January, 2022, 11:47:21 pm »
That is interesting! Tillingham is a small village very close to the St. Peter's on the Wall saxon church near the Bradwell power station. There are quite a few vineyards in the area, but I didn't know they made wine in Tillingham itself.

Different Tillingham, I'm afraid!

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #128 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:28:09 am »
A bottle of Palazzo Brunello de Montecino 2016 Is sitting on the dining room table. Also I decanted some Croft single quinta Port 2004.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #129 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:40:42 am »
A chianti that was on special offer.

« Reply #130 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:55:40 am »
Im in charge of cheese and wine at MiLs.
Got a Château Grand Faurie La Rose Saint-Émilion Grand Cru 2018 from Majestic. Opened it last night to have with the cheese. Nice, but probably too subtle for me. I prefer being punched in the face by a CdR or similar. Got a nice Chilean wine called Vik A at home. Might nip back to get it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #131 on: 25 December, 2022, 11:09:22 am »
...Nice, but probably too subtle for me. I prefer being punched in the face by a CdR or similar...

You and Mrs P. It's disappointing if it doesn't make her tongue purpoo.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #132 on: 25 December, 2022, 08:47:43 pm »
Sent the menu to the winemonger and he recommended a  Frühburgunder "vom Quarzit" (a pinot noir) and a "Riesling Roten Schiefer", both from 2020. Tasting tomorrow  :)

« Reply #133 on: 25 December, 2022, 08:57:47 pm »
Barolo on special offer.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #134 on: 25 December, 2022, 10:13:47 pm »
When we were little, Granny (who later became Great Granny Isobel) always bought a bottle of red and a bottle of white schloer for the children at Christmas. A few years later, Appletise was added to the options. They were very much once a year only very special Christmas treats though. My eldest niece, when she was about 3, named such fancy beverages "children's wine" and that's what they've been called ever since.

CriunklyAuntie maintained the tradition admirably this year, although she said the schloer choices are much more confusing these days, and provided a bottle of white (grape and elderflower) and a bottle of rosé ('fruity') and some appletise to go with our Christmas dinner-for-tea. Although none of the children present liked the "children's wine", all of the adults were drinking it, and it was really us it was bought for!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #135 on: 25 December, 2022, 11:58:41 pm »
Were the kids sloshing down a nice Rhone?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #136 on: 26 December, 2022, 12:35:03 am »
EldestCub is in the adults gang now (21!!!!) and was on the children's wine, cos he was driving. SmallestCub was left home alone, shut in a drafty bedroom with nowt but a box of LFTs for company. The smallest nephew basically doesn't believe in drinking anything other than water or milk (or bambinocinos) - he did try a drop of children's wine but wasn't impressed - and although the smallest niece gets very very excited about cups and is most impressed with her new skills with them, she is currently very much a fan of quaffing. In the words of Pterry, "Quaffing is like drinking, but you spill more".

Mind, after a very long day, I am actually considering a nightcap of the sloe gin (a splendid gift several years ago from Bill Plumtree of this very parish!) that is hiding at the back of the cupboard.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #137 on: 25 December, 2023, 08:01:01 pm »
Today,

To start I had a couple of glasses of Avery's Champagne.
With dinner I had Domaine des Senechaux 2020 Chateauneuf du Pape.
After dinner  I had some Taylors 20 year old Tawny Port.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #138 on: 25 December, 2023, 08:03:56 pm »
I had half a bottle of champagne then half a bottle of St-Emilion.  Must have been the good stuff because I don't have a hangover  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #139 on: 25 December, 2023, 08:27:29 pm »
Nothing too grand, a bottle of Vinsobre. It is rather nice. First alcohol for some time. Vinyards to the east of Orange apparently and are partly sheltered from the Mistral.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #140 on: 25 December, 2023, 08:38:20 pm »
We had some nice Tokaji Aszu with our pudding. I do like a spot of dessert wine.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #141 on: 26 December, 2023, 09:33:32 am »
We had the Côtes du Rhône I took as a gift, with Kir Royals before and for me a Johnny Walker Platinum from the boys new cocktail cabinet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)