Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513500 times)

At a gathering, a bottle of English sparkling wine was opened (Ridgeview Bloomsbury brut). I very much enjoyed it. When I looked at the label, and later the website, I saw that it was from Ditchling (of Beacon fame). I haven't done a FNRttC in over a decade, but I remember micturation stops against various hedges prior to tackling the Beacon, I assume some it must have gone to to the water table and helped water the vines. I decided against telling my companions my theory.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Had a moment while have a raw onion and camenbert, so I was thinking about sauted the onions to go on the bread and then the cheese on top.  Was wondering if I should try it warm or cold.

Then I got to thinking I wonder what sauted onions on porridge. 

Has anyone done either of these?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Meh, looked on google and it is a thing.

So dinner is going to be a baguette, a camembert and caramelised onion.

Onions and oats isn't porridge, it is skirlie and very good, too.

Usually cooked with oatmeal or pinhead oats rather than rolled oats.

Very very good with fish.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Onions and oats isn't porridge, it is skirlie and very good, too.

Usually cooked with oatmeal or pinhead oats rather than rolled oats.

Very very good with fish.

That sounds lovely and I am going to try it. 

Tempted to add a couple of soft boiled eggs.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Am now officially an adult. This statement is based on owning my own oyster knife.

Also scoffed two kilos of omaha beach normandy oysters while sitting on a park on small park.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Am now officially an adult. This statement is based on owning my own oyster knife.

Crumbs. I bought my first oyster knife 30 years ago. I currently have two. Might even be three, come to think of it.

I feel so grown up.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I don't think it's quite such a determinant if you live in the home of the Oyster Festival.

I think the Oyster Festival no longer is - on account of the number of drunken punch ups.
(Unless they've reinstated it)

citoyen

I didn't realise they'd stopped it, which shows how much attention I pay to it. It has seemed a pointless event for years - nothing to do with oysters, just a general "arts" festival, with a bunch of worthy-but-ill-conceived events that don't interest me at all.

Having an oyster festival in August seems particularly daft anyway - just about the worst possible month for oysters. They should have it in January and actually make it about oysters.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

Crumbs. I bought my first oyster knife 30 years ago. I currently have two. Might even be three, come to think of it.

I feel so grown up.

Hello Arthur two or three oyster knives Jackson  ;D

What I don't understand is that the knife cost a euro, but on amazon €10.  Also 2kg of oysters of oysters for cheap sealed the deal, as I was hungry and fancied some posh food.

I don't think it's quite such a determinant if you live in the home of the Oyster Festival.

There seems to be quite a few oyster festivals for looking, never knew they were a thing till today.

I think the Oyster Festival no longer is - on account of the number of drunken punch ups.
(Unless they've reinstated it)

Champagne yobs ;)

Having an oyster festival in August seems particularly daft anyway - just about the worst possible month for oysters. They should have it in January and actually make it about oysters.

So I am learning, are oysters farmed so doesn't make that much difference does it?

citoyen

Hello Arthur two or three oyster knives Jackson  ;D

You know, come to think of it, I reckon the sign of being a grown up is not owning an oyster knife, or even several oyster knives, but knowing how to use one without lacerating your fingers...

So I am learning, are oysters farmed so doesn't make that much difference does it?

There are a couple of issues, not related to being farmed or wild. The only one you really need to worry about, if you are buying them from the fish market to take home, is that it's harder to keep oysters fresh in August. And as someone who has suffered oyster-related food poisoning, I can tell you it's not nice at all.

The other thing is simply that they are at their peak for eating in the winter. Their reproductive cycle means they spawn in summer, so can be thin and watery as a result. Not necessarily bad to eat, just not at their best.

The oyster festival was supposed to be a way of attracting visitors, but frankly that's not really an issue in summer. Why not have the festival in the winter to really celebrate the oysters at their peak and attract people at a time when the town is quieter?

Their reproductive cycle remains the same, so yes it does make a difference. (X-post citoyen)

I hate to think how many oyster knives I have - they have all been acquired in France, mostly skiing over Christmas when I and (the now deceased) BiL would spy a box for very few Euro, and decide we had to have it - I think I only remembered to pack a knife once.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

You know, come to think of it, I reckon the sign of being a grown up is not owning an oyster knife, or even several oyster knives, but knowing how to use one without lacerating your fingers...

Not injured myself, as yet.

Quote from: citoyen
There are a couple of issues, not related to being farmed or wild. The only one you really need to worry about, if you are buying them from the fish market to take home, is that it's harder to keep oysters fresh in August. And as someone who has suffered oyster-related food poisoning, I can tell you it's not nice at all.

The other thing is simply that they are at their peak for eating in the winter. Their reproductive cycle means they spawn in summer, so can be thin and watery as a result. Not necessarily bad to eat, just not at their best.

The oyster festival was supposed to be a way of attracting visitors, but frankly that's not really an issue in summer. Why not have the festival in the winter to really celebrate the oysters at their peak and attract people at a time when the town is quieter?

Always though that you are supposed to eat oysters in a day or two of purchase.  Have consumed a great deal of oysters since being a regular to France and usually around cristmas as it is a christmas thing in France.

I hate to think how many oyster knives I have - they have all been acquired in France, mostly skiing over Christmas when I and (the now deceased) BiL would spy a box for very few Euro, and decide we had to have it - I think I only remembered to pack a knife once.

At least your oyster knives have seem more action that the majority of oyster knives in Islington kitchens.

Never understood why oysters are so expensive in the UK yet cheap in France.

I didn't realise they'd stopped it, which shows how much attention I pay to it. It has seemed a pointless event for years - nothing to do with oysters, just a general "arts" festival, with a bunch of worthy-but-ill-conceived events that don't interest me at all.

I'm advised by my Seasalter-based friend that it is back as of last year - no idea about this year.

citoyen

I remember a family holiday in Brittany where my dad decided to buy some oysters from the local market and an oyster knife.

Most of the oysters ended up too covered in blood to be edible.

Always though that you are supposed to eat oysters in a day or two of purchase.

Tbh, I rarely buy them unless I'm intending to eat them within a few hours of purchase.

The time I got sick was when my brother had bought some in London on his way down to a family Christmas gathering. We ate them not long after he arrived, but I guess a couple of hours in a warm car was enough for them to turn evil - even though they'd been packed in plenty of ice. We made oysters rockefeller, which were delicious. But there were plenty left over, which my dad and I tucked into. Those who stuck to the cooked oysters were fine. My dad and I were both very ill for a few days.

ian

Like most bivalves, it's not the fact that oysters carry bacteria, they just accumulate toxins that make you ill – so they need flushing in clean water for ideally a day or two. Don't eat them fresh out of the sea. There's also a dose aspect, so a couple might not trouble you, a bucketful on the other hand...

I can't stand them, mind. Fried oysters are bearable, but I'm not really sure are worth the effort.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith

I remember a family holiday in Brittany where my dad decided to buy some oysters from the local market and an oyster knife.

Now I am reminded of the Alas smith and jones sketch of the french resistance cooking using a little of the injured resistance fighters blood.

Always though that you are supposed to eat oysters in a day or two of purchase.

Tbh, I rarely buy them unless I'm intending to eat them within a few hours of purchase.

The time I got sick was when my brother had bought some in London on his way down to a family Christmas gathering. We ate them not long after he arrived, but I guess a couple of hours in a warm car was enough for them to turn evil - even though they'd been packed in plenty of ice. We made oysters rockefeller, which were delicious. But there were plenty left over, which my dad and I tucked into. Those who stuck to the cooked oysters were fine. My dad and I were both very ill for a few days.
[/quote]

From my french experience oysters are supposed to be eaten on christmas day so buying them before when the shops are open.  But usually, as you, eat within a few hours.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
I now have two oyster knives, At this rate I'll have more than Ham soon ;)

While this was my dinner

These were summer oysters and €7

Spoke too soon :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Today I learnt to peel ginger with a spoon (well oyster knife but the same thing) and it has made ginger a revolution for me.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

That's a witch and wolverine dancing innit?

citoyen

Today I learnt to peel ginger with a spoon (well oyster knife but the same thing) and it has made ginger a revolution for me.

I learned that technique not so very long ago myself. Good, innit.

While we're on the subject of ginger, why do recipes talk about eg a 1cm piece of ginger? What does that mean? If you're measuring along the length of the root, the actual quantity you get from 1cm of ginger will vary wildly depending on the thickness of the root.

Anyway, I tend to interpret such instructions very liberally - I like ginger a lot, so am inclined to be quite heavy handed with it.

In other food news, my wife has thrown away my sloes, chiz! I had a big bag of sloes in the freezer, which I was going to use to make patxaran one day, when I got round to it... they've only been sitting festering in the freezer for nearly two years. I think. Maybe it's longer... Come to think of it, it might have been pre-pandemic when I picked them. Where does the time go?

In other food news, my wife has thrown away my sloes, chiz!
Burn the witch.