Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513664 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
To be fair, I had quite a lot of them and they were taking up a fair chunk of space that could be devoted to fish fingers and Magnums instead. I dread to think how much I've paid in electricity just to keep them frozen for the past X years. And I doubt I was really ever going to get round to doing anything with them.

Anyway, the bush I picked them off is just over the garden fence, so I won't have far to go to get some new ones to replace them. And I think this is a fruiting year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Today I learnt to peel ginger with a spoon (well oyster knife but the same thing) and it has made ginger a revolution for me.

I learned that technique not so very long ago myself. Good, innit.

While we're on the subject of ginger, why do recipes talk about eg a 1cm piece of ginger? What does that mean? If you're measuring along the length of the root, the actual quantity you get from 1cm of ginger will vary wildly depending on the thickness of the root.

Anyway, I tend to interpret such instructions very liberally - I like ginger a lot, so am inclined to be quite heavy handed with it.

The impression I get from assorted search results is that a given length of ginger is taken from one of the smaller sections of root (or finger, given that a complete ginger root will look a bit like a knobbly misshapen hand).

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15216.0
https://omnivorescookbook.com/pantry/ginger
https://www.cheftalk.com/threads/1-inch-piece-of-ginger-root-what-does-it-mean.53815/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

In other food news, my wife has thrown away my sloes, chiz!
Burn the witch.
My bold.
Talking of which (can you see what I did there?), the last time that happened was in 2010  :o
In Ghana.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Today I learnt to peel ginger with a spoon (well oyster knife but the same thing) and it has made ginger a revolution for me.

I learned that technique not so very long ago myself. Good, innit.

In management speak, for it was a game changer.

Quote from: citoyen
While we're on the subject of ginger, why do recipes talk about eg a 1cm piece of ginger? What does that mean? If you're measuring along the length of the root, the actual quantity you get from 1cm of ginger will vary wildly depending on the thickness of the root.

Anyway, I tend to interpret such instructions very liberally - I like ginger a lot, so am inclined to be quite heavy handed with it.

Always use lots of ginger as like the flavour the same as using lots of garlic, at least a head.

Quote from: citoyen
In other food news, my wife has thrown away my sloes, chiz! I had a big bag of sloes in the freezer, which I was going to use to make patxaran one day, when I got round to it... they've only been sitting festering in the freezer for nearly two years. I think. Maybe it's longer... Come to think of it, it might have been pre-pandemic when I picked them. Where does the time go?

You could have had sloe gin...I like sloe gin.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
From the a 1980's recipe book son's ever-lovin' posted on FB:
Turkey Stuffing

4c. crushed dry bread
½c. sage
¼c. onion
½c. celery
½c. uncooked popcorn
1 tsp. salt
5c. broth

Mix well; stuff turkey. Cook 5 hours at 300°F or until the popcorn blows the ass off the turkey.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
You could have had sloe gin...I like sloe gin.

Patxaran is like sloe gin but made with anise rather than gin. I could have made either but simply never got round to it.

However, the bush where I get my sloes is currently heavy with fruit, so I just have to wait a bit longer for them to ripen…
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Onions and oats isn't porridge, it is skirlie and very good, too.

Usually cooked with oatmeal or pinhead oats rather than rolled oats.

Very very good with fish.

savoury porridge, otherwise known as gruel, is a favourite in our house, cooked slowly like risotto with plenty of herbs and spices, always with mushrooms and whatever other veg like finely diced peppers, shallots, courgettes etc.  I'l often put some bacon or chorizo in mine as well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
When I read 'gruel' I think of a thin, watered down, Dickensian porridge. What you're making sounds like oat risotto!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Onions and oats isn't porridge, it is skirlie and very good, too.

Usually cooked with oatmeal or pinhead oats rather than rolled oats.

Very very good with fish.

savoury porridge, otherwise known as gruel, is a favourite in our house, cooked slowly like risotto with plenty of herbs and spices, always with mushrooms and whatever other veg like finely diced peppers, shallots, courgettes etc.  I'l often put some bacon or chorizo in mine as well.

What oats do you use? The cheat I use is just rolled oats and pour in hot water and leave.  Then add the onoins.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Today I had that with soft biled eggs it was lush.

Some serious knife work on display here.  Amazingly he seems to have a full set of fingers.

https://twitter.com/miblogestublog/status/1560826362704838657

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Talking of knives, and also of forks – you go to a cafe and get a sandwich. It is served with knife and fork. Why? Who eats a sandwich with a knife and fork? I always just pick it up in my hand. Am I a barbarian? Well yes probably, but what about you? Do you eat a sandwich with cutlery?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I have done, in the Netherlands and N. Germany. Somewhat taken aback first time.

BTW, in N. Germany a thick square slice of cheese is called half a chicken.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Some serious knife work on display here.  Amazingly he seems to have a full set of fingers.

https://twitter.com/miblogestublog/status/1560826362704838657

He has a plaster on his finger, so gets it wrong sometimes.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
So how to eat a kilogram of guacamole?  So what to dip in to the this avocado mix.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Talking of knives, and also of forks – you go to a cafe and get a sandwich. It is served with knife and fork. Why? Who eats a sandwich with a knife and fork? I always just pick it up in my hand. Am I a barbarian? Well yes probably, but what about you? Do you eat a sandwich with cutlery?

I do.
Keeps the table and my clothes clean and helps compensate for my weak, numb right hand.
Mushy fillings remain under control...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have done, in the Netherlands and N. Germany. Somewhat taken aback first time.

BTW, in N. Germany a thick square slice of cheese is called half a chicken.

Danish open sandwiches are eaten with cutlery.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4568 on: 08 September, 2022, 03:06:59 pm »
I just bought 10 500ml bottles of beer and 2 bottles of wine for under £20. Courtesy of Aldi.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4569 on: 08 September, 2022, 04:20:47 pm »
Talking of knives, and also of forks – you go to a cafe and get a sandwich. It is served with knife and fork. Why? Who eats a sandwich with a knife and fork?

Millibands, I expect.

« Reply #4570 on: 12 September, 2022, 03:57:15 pm »
So, neither myself or my wife should consume smoked fish…..   ::-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62875544
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4571 on: 13 September, 2022, 06:17:52 pm »

Toasted sandwiches are even better eaten with a knife and fork. Plus you finish eating with relatively clean fingers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #4572 on: 13 September, 2022, 06:40:09 pm »

Eight entire cases so far this year. Being struck by lightning is a more likely proposition (by a factor of two). Stay indoors!

I cook smoked salmon anyway, as a matter of principle.

« Reply #4573 on: 13 September, 2022, 07:01:19 pm »

Eight entire cases so far this year. Being struck by lightning is a more likely proposition (by a factor of two). Stay indoors!
That's greedy. Even I couldn't get through 8 cases.
I cook smoked salmon anyway, as a matter of principle.
Heathen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #4574 on: 13 September, 2022, 08:03:14 pm »
I can't stand the texture of raw fish, but I quite like smoked salmon in pasta where it gets nicely, if accidentally, cooked.