Author Topic: RRTY  (Read 4856 times)

RRTY
« on: 06 November, 2012, 12:13:01 pm »
If a rider is doing a RRTY will they be able to count some of the riding as their July ride and some as their August ride.
I am fairly sure I will be doing at least one 200k ride earlier in July, but I'm not sure how motivated I will be to do another in August.

Re: RRTY
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
It's up to Mike - but I seriously doubt you'd be able to count it for two separate months, as it's one ride.

Which month you could count it towards, though...

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »
From the Round The Year Randonneurs Log thread:

I've been giving some thought to RRTY and LEL.

LEL will count as a July 2013 qualifying ride for the RRTY.  That means that you have to be thinking about riding a 200 some time during August, which might be a struggle, both physical and mental.  As it is, I usually find August a difficult month in which to complete a BR, what with Marple Grimpeurs, holidays, etc

I suppose if you use the full time available for LEL, it would be possible to complete at least 200km of LEL during August.  If you can provide me with suitable evidence, such as a photocopy of your brevet card, I might consider LEL as an August 2013 qualifier for RRTY, but you certainly wouldn't be able to count LEL for both July and August - it's just one ride.

Does that sound fair?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
Yep - totally as I understand it - it is 1 ride that could possibly count for someone's August ride, particularly if you were looking at a full value LEL; but it certainly couldn't count for both months.

By that point, my mathematical reasoning will be well shot, so I am not sure it would be up to calculating if I had ridden 200km within the correct time starting at midnight.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »
Kirton is rather inconveniently at 199 to go. So Market Rasen (@1153) will need a sign at checkin:
"Need an August RRTY? Not so fast sonny ... "

(I can't see anyone fast enough to finish in July being afraid of a mere 200km later in August.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
I think the speed I'd be riding I'd be enquiring about it counting for September :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »
I think some form of "pre-registration" for those of us of the "full-value" persuasion who want to count it as an August ride might be in order.

At the present time there are no 200s on the August calendar that are even remotely close to me (apart from AndyH's West Bay & back on the 4th...just a little too soon after) and I suspect the motivation for a DIY may be AWOL.

Market Rasen to Great Easton is a convenient 220km per the LEL route / 204km by Gmaps walking for those of us who, by then, might be struggling to make Market Rasen to Loughton at BR pace.

Maybe Market Rasen controllers could be alerted to the need to record any (post midnight on Aug 1) departure times as well as arrival times? And maybe even a quick "look-up table" to provide sleep-deprived riders with a note of the corresponding time limit to Gt Easton?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:31:13 pm »
My (naive) interpretation of Memsec's post in the RRTY thread is that you don't need to cover a specific 200km at 14.3kph - you just need to ride within the time limits of the event you're on. (The more restrictive interpretation seems very harsh. But then I don't make the rules).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

London Edinburgh London

RRTY
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »
Maybe Market Rasen controllers could be alerted to the need to record any (post midnight on Aug 1) departure times as well as arrival times? And maybe even a quick "look-up table" to provide sleep-deprived riders with a note of the corresponding time limit to Gt Easton?

I suspect that the Market Rasen controller will have more pressing matters to attend to, to have time to produce look-up tables for DIY-ers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »
Surely if he is smart he can delegate it?   ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
:-)

It's not going to happen. We have enough admin to deal with.

mikewigley

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2012, 08:14:33 pm »
I hadn't realised this would be quite so tricky (and to be honest I don't think it is).  I'm assuming that, for the majority of people, LEL would count as a July RRTY qualifier, so you would have to convince me that you rode at least 200km of LEL during August for it to count as an August RRTY qualifier instead - although I'll even accept "just" the 199km from Kirton-Loughton.  That's at 12kph too, so it's quite a concession.

A bit of resourcefulness might be called for as you cannot (and must not) expect the LEL controllers to do anything other than their normal LEL duties.  They've got to look after 749 others, and may well have had less sleep than you, so just don't push it.

Acceptable proof would be the timed stamp on your LEL brevet card at Pocklington, Market Rasen or Kirton, and your name on the LEL finishers list.  (If you are in Thirsk in August then by my reckoning you are out of time)

Sadly, an abandon even at Great Easton is a great big DNF.

If you are really adamant that you need LEL for an August ride, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get something like an ATM slip or shop receipt from somewhere north of Kirton and dated August, just to verify your whereabouts.

For me, just finishing RRTY is a big achievement in itself, and worth far more than yet another RRTY.  Anyway, I would hope to finish in such a condition that I would be able to ride another BR before the end of August.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »
There's a big Tesco on the route in Market Rasen. That gives you a 24hr opportunity to get a timestamp on the way out.

After that you can rely on the stamps and times in your brevet.

If you finish LEL in time you also get your RRTY. There's no need to juggle times.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2012, 11:17:48 pm »
I think the speed I'd be riding I'd be enquiring about it counting for September :)
;D ;D ;D
not really true marcus, but funny nevertheless. I recall trying to catch you on LonJog.......
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »
Just ride a 200 at the beginning of July then ride LEL then ride another 200 in August.  Simples innit  ::-)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2012, 09:51:50 am »
There's a big Tesco on the route in Market Rasen. That gives you a 24hr opportunity to get a timestamp on the way out.

After that you can rely on the stamps and times in your brevet.

If you finish LEL in time you also get your RRTY. There's no need to juggle times.

:thumbsup:  ;D    Elegant solution, no load on LEL controllers
Thanks.

LancashireLarry

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:40:59 am »
Just a minor comment - the Tesco is not a 24hour one, I think it is 06:00 or 08:00 to 22:00. There are a couple of ATM's there though plus the one's on the main A631 through Rasen.

« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Didn't think it was allowed to split a ride as suggested. Aren't you only allowed to claim the ride for the month it started in ? What you're suggesting becomes L E P or L E MR and P-L or MR- L not L E L surely!

« Reply #18 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:39:51 pm »
Didn't think it was allowed to split a ride as suggested. Aren't you only allowed to claim the ride for the month it started in ? What you're suggesting becomes L E P or L E MR and P-L or MR- L not L E L surely!
I think but stand open to correction that it has always been the case (with RRTY) that where an event crossed a month boundary you could use either month provided at least 200km fell in the month chosen.  But not both.  This is certainly the approach that Mike has put forward for LEL further up this thread, with the proviso that few will be doing 200km of the LEL ride in August. 

mikewigley

« Reply #19 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:22:44 am »
I think but stand open to correction that it has always been the case (with RRTY) that where an event crossed a month boundary you could use either month provided at least 200km fell in the month chosen.  But not both.  This is certainly the approach that Mike has put forward for LEL further up this thread, with the proviso that few will be doing 200km of the LEL ride in August.

That's right.  You can only count it once but I'll be as flexible as possible within the spirit of the rules.  LEL will be treated as a July event by default, so if you want to count it as your August event the burden of proving it falls to you the rider, and without causing any extra work for LEL helpers and volunteers.  Getting a till receipt dated August from somewhere more than 200km from the finish would seem to be useful.

Re: RRTY and LEL
« Reply #20 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »
Having kept my RRTY up through both the winter and injury and having already done a 300km in July I thought I would revisit this thread. Currently I've only got one free weekend in August after I finish LEL so doing another 200km may be a challenge. I just hope I remember to get that till receipt in Market Rasen!

« Reply #21 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »

Some of my fastest 200s have been a couple of weeks after a long/arduous ride (e.g. BCM 600, K&SW 600, LEL'09, PBP'11).

It took me 2 weeks to want to look at my bike again (for a ride more than an hour or so) but the legs were definitely there when required.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 08 July, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »

Some of my fastest 200s have been a couple of weeks after a long/arduous ride (e.g. BCM 600, K&SW 600, LEL'09, PBP'11).

It took me 2 weeks to want to look at my bike again (for a ride more than an hour or so) but the legs were definitely there when required.

That's what we're hoping, having entered the Rough Diamond 300, which starts a little over a week after finishing LEL.

« Reply #23 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:16:38 am »
I'm popping over to Ireland after LEL to ride the 3 Provinces 300 from Slane.

Also planning to ride the Mildenhall 300, perhaps with DIY 200s to and from the start.

Hopefully won't need LEL as July or August ride to keep double RRTY alive for 2013.